SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

So I just recently purchased a 2016 Charger Hellcat with 22K miles, (1 previous owner) however after about 2 months of ownership it started to overheat... at first it would give me a “hi engine temp” light and then it would cool down on its own (that went on for about 2 days), so I decided to replace the tstat and went with a 180 degree from HHP, shortly after, the car overheated to about 257 degrees (at normal cruising speed 60-65mph) and I had to get it towed back home, the fans kicked on at around 220 degrees but the temperature just kept climbing... (no coolant leaks or any weird noises or leaks coming from the engine) just overheating and the fans spinning. This all happened in about 55-65 degree weather, and no hard driving, matter of fact the car was in ECO mode as well...

Anyone knows what could be causing this issue ?

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would look at the T-Stat again, I have seen so many of them failed right out of the package. When I bought my Charger brand new w/8 miles on it, I kept getting fluctuating temps, popped the housing and the T-Stat was in two pieces, from the factory like that.

You might also look at a flush and cleaning of the whole system in case their might be some blockage.

Sorry about the issue and hope you can track it down. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would look at the T-Stat again, I have seen so many of them failed right out of the package. When I bought my Charger brand new w/8 miles on it, I kept getting fluctuating temps, popped the housing and the T-Stat was in two pieces, from the factory like that.

You might also look at a flush and cleaning of the whole system in case their might be some blockage.

Sorry about the issue and hope you can track it down. Good luck!
Thanks for a quick reply!

Im definitely checking the thermostat as soon as the car cools down, and putting the stock 203 degree stat back on before I take it to the dealer (still have extended warranty on the car, thankfully I chose to pay a little extra for a situation like this)

I have also noticed just now that the coolant looks a little off, does not have that pink/purple color to it, it looks much darker, almost “very dark plum purple” type color...kinda concerning.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Im definitely checking the thermostat as soon as the car cools down, and putting the stock 203 degree stat back on before I take it to the dealer (still have extended warranty on the car, thankfully I chose to pay a little extra for a situation like this)

I have also noticed just now that the coolant looks a little off, does not have that pink/purple color to it, it looks much darker, almost “very dark plum purple” type color...kinda concerning.
Yeah as this fluid goes thru its heat cycles it gets darker, that's normal. But it still would be a good idea to flush and put in new, that might be on your dollar unless they can determine that's the cause.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah as this fluid goes thru its heat cycles it gets darker, that's normal. But it still would be a good idea to flush and put in new, that might be on your dollar unless they can determine that's the cause.
Good to know, thanks again !

·
Registered
566 Posts

Don't take this as a sky is falling comment but I want you to be safe and careful. That can also be an indication of a blown head gasket and oil getting into the cooling system. It may be worth sucking some of the coolant out and putting it into a clear cup. Let it sit over night and see if you see two distinct fluids present (the oil should separate from the coolant). Also look at the oil cap for signs off coolant (discoloration, foam, smell). If you aren't positive, drain the oil, catch some as described above and observe. Since you have warranty you should be fine either way but if coolant is mixing with oil driving it longer can cause issues with the engine bearings.

Again, I'm not saying this is the cause at all but it is possible and I'd rather you be safe and check on it now.

As for the stat. You can generally tell if a stat is working or not by feeling the top radiator hose. If it's hard and hot after the point it's supposed to open, it's working.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,146 Posts
Hello everyone,

So I just recently purchased a 2016 Charger Hellcat with 22K miles, (1 previous owner) however after about 2 months of ownership it started to overheat... at first it would give me a “hi engine temp” light and then it would cool down on its own (that went on for about 2 days), so I decided to replace the tstat and went with a 180 degree from HHP, shortly after, the car overheated to about 257 degrees (at normal cruising speed 60-65mph) and I had to get it towed back home, the fans kicked on at around 220 degrees but the temperature just kept climbing... (no coolant leaks or any weird noises or leaks coming from the engine) just overheating and the fans spinning. This all happened in about 55-65 degree weather, and no hard driving, matter of fact the car was in ECO mode as well...

Anyone knows what could be causing this issue ?

Thanks
This is classic symptoms of air trapped in the cooling system.

When you swapped this stat, did you follow the recommended procedure on refilling the system to bleed the air out?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't take this as a sky is falling comment but I want you to be safe and careful. That can also be an indication of a blown head gasket and oil getting into the cooling system. It may be worth sucking some of the coolant out and putting it into a clear cup. Let it sit over night and see if you see two distinct fluids present (the oil should separate from the coolant). Also look at the oil cap for signs off coolant (discoloration, foam, smell). If you aren't positive, drain the oil, catch some as described above and observe. Since you have warranty you should be fine either way but if coolant is mixing with oil driving it longer can cause issues with the engine bearings.

Again, I'm not saying this is the cause at all but it is possible and I'd rather you be safe and check on it now.

As for the stat. You can generally tell if a stat is working or not by feeling the top radiator hose. If it's hard and hot after the point it's supposed to open, it's working.

Best of luck and keep us updated.
Blown gasket was literally my biggest concern. However I did not notice any coolant or discoloration/smell on the oil cap or the dip stick, or see or smell any oil in the coolant... just replaced the after market HHP 180 degree stat with the stock 203 degree and the car is running perfectly fine now, left it to idle for about 35-40 min in the driveway and the temp stayed at about 197-201 degrees (did not do a test drive yet, but still doing much better as it would overheat within 10 min of idle) now the other concerning thing is that, whenever I pulled out the stat, there were 2 tiny pebbles (rocks) stuck on the thermostat and it was completely lose (literally pulled out with the hose)

Not sure what caused this, so still taking it to the dealership tomorrow!

Thanks everyone for your help, will keep you updated after the dealership trip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is classic symptoms of air trapped in the cooling system.

When you swapped this stat, did you follow the recommended procedure on refilling the system to bleed the air out?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
“No need to bleed. Make sure the vent hole in the new stat is in the 12 o'clock position. Then when your done and have it buttoned back up, remove the coolant cap and start the car. Let it run for a bit then top off the coolant”

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,239 Posts
Just change Out your Tstat before there is a catastrophic fail

Linda

·
Registered
566 Posts
Blown gasket was literally my biggest concern. However I did not notice any coolant or discoloration/smell on the oil cap or the dip stick, or see or smell any oil in the coolant... just replaced the after market HHP 180 degree stat with the stock 203 degree and the car is running perfectly fine now, left it to idle for about 35-40 min in the driveway and the temp stayed at about 197-201 degrees (did not do a test drive yet, but still doing much better as it would overheat within 10 min of idle) now the other concerning thing is that, whenever I pulled out the stat, there were 2 tiny pebbles (rocks) stuck on the thermostat and it was completely lose (literally pulled out with the hose)

Not sure what caused this, so still taking it to the dealership tomorrow!

Thanks everyone for your help, will keep you updated after the dealership trip.
That's great news that 1) you caught it in time before overheating to the point it would damage things and 2) it was a simple and easy fix. Hopefully that is all that it was.

For the pebble, That is extremely odd. I've got no answer to that one. I've heard of people putting an aspirin in their thermostat to help bleed the system but anything non-disolvable would be a major negative as it could damage the waterpump (along other things).

Reactions: ssgbell

·
Registered
107 Posts
Another thing you can do, is take the thermostat out. let the car warm up and see if there are any temp issues. It will probably throw a code but you can just clear that after. Just drive it around normally and see how temps do. If theres no issue you got a bad 180 off the shelf.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE:

Alright guys, just got the car back from the dealership, as I suspected, after I changed it back to the stock tstat the car works perfectly fine and there were no issues at the dealer, they purged the system and pressure tested it, nothing wrong, also they drove it for about 30 miles with zero over heating issues. They did say however that they noticed that the upper radiator hose was taken off and that could’ve created an air pocket at the time, however no issues at this time (happy it was an easy fix) but now I’m confused! Did I mess up the install on the 180 dgr stat, or was the stat messed up from the shelf ? The directions stated that there was no bleeding necessary? Should I bleed it ? I almost don’t even want to do the stat myself anymore... I followed the instructions and watched multiple videos prior to doing it...I think I’ll just leave it for Peitz Performance along with the rest of the mods.

thanks all!

·
Registered
566 Posts
You can test the stat if you want to. Fill a big pot of water and put it on your stove. Let it heat up until the stat is supposed to open (having thermometer helps to know the exact temp) to confirm proper operation visually while opening. If it's a 180 degree stat and it doesn't start to open in 180 degree water temp then know for sure it was bad. Having the thermometer will help you confirm when it opens if it does too. Then take it out and you can watch while it cools to confirm proper closing operation.

The dealership was mentioning the hose basically as a "we noticed someone else was in here working on things" notice.

I doubt you messed up the install that bad so my bet is on a bad stat. As long as you put the stat in the correct direction and filled the cooling system properly you should have been fine. The fact that you put the stock one back in and things are working tells me you at least have the mechanical ability to do the job.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
895 Posts
When dealing with car parts (and PC computer parts too!), there's a saying to live by that I always hold near and dear:

NEW means: Never Ever Worked (before)

I can't tell you how many "NEW" radiators, alternators, power steering pumps, distributor caps, and points I've purchased over the years that were bad the moment they left the factory. It might sound like I'm old, but I've just always owned old cars, hence the points nonsense. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts