SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dodge said all there engines have a name and HELLCAT stuck as the sir name for the 2015 challenger. anyone out there on the forum know what the engine name for the 08srt 6.1 HEMI is other then HEMI.????

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
92 Posts
5.7 “Eagle” Hemi and 6.4 “Apache

Reactions: BossHawg

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
608 Posts
apache....

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
63 Posts
actually i was reading an article stating the names were derived from aircraft names, which is weird because the WWII Hellcat plane had an engine made by Buick. Im sure it was chosen because of bad-assness and they didnt do alot of background research. I guess as long as the next engine project isnt named after the P-51 mustang they can call them whatever they want. Maybe the 3.5L was called Cessna

· Comfortably Numb
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,523 Posts
actually i was reading an article stating the names were derived from aircraft names, which is weird because the WWII Hellcat plane had an engine made by Buick. Im sure it was chosen because of bad-assness and they didnt do alot of background research. I guess as long as the next engine project isnt named after the P-51 mustang they can call them whatever they want. Maybe the 3.5L was called Cessna
Buick made the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp? can you link that information? Thanks!

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
63 Posts
Buick made the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp? can you link that information? Thanks!
It was on the Internet so that means it's true. I can't find it, if I recall it was one of the hundred bloggers writing anything they could about the hellcat while waiting for the restrictions on driver impressions to be lifted. I was reading every news article Google could find at that time. I thought it was interesting but didn't look into it. I just did a search and found Buick did build a hellcat tank.

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
4 Posts
From what I read, the "Hellcat" name was an internal label and they were just going to call the car "Supercharged". The name was mentioned in passing in a press brief (leak?) and immediately caught traction. Dodge marketing saw this and wisely scrapped the super long "Supercharged" emblems for the weight saving Hellcat kitty stamp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.