SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yep, seems like we are close to say good bye at the most legendary american muscle car. Really sad the future that is coming. Fu&$** electric cars! Thanks Tesla for messing up everything.

Dodge ditching all hellcats by 2023

·
Registered
461 Posts
There are people who welcome the EV. But to rally on the side of EV because they are a little faster doesn't hold water for most Hellcat owners. I'm not referring to track people who only want the fastest times. I get that. I could care less if the Tesla is a bit quicker because I didn't buy mine to race electric cars. There are many attributes that I love with my RE that I will surely miss so I'm keeping it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Roses are red, violets are blue. When Dodge discontinues the ICE, F you. I dont have any desire to buy an electric powered muscle car. The entire notion is oxymoronic.
Same here! There would be “Prius owner” loving the idea of having an electric muscle car. No thanks for me. So, Dodge, I bet you will lost a lot of customers, I mean, real customers! And now that this is the end date (2023) you will see the market value that the thieves (dealerships) will ask for 2022/2023 models. Seat tight!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Same here! There would be “Prius owner” loving the idea of having an electric muscle car. No thanks for me. So, Dodge, I bet you will lost a lot of customers, I mean, real customers! And now that this is the end date (2023) you will see the market value that the thieves (dealerships) will ask for 2022/2023 models. Seat tight!
This isn't just Dodge doing this. It's everyone. Either you'll have to pay a fortune for a boutique ICE manufacturer, or build a kit car. I'm already getting everything sorted so I can order an Ultima RS here in a few years, and I plan on putting a LT6 crate engine in it. It'll be a true supercar with a manual unlike everything else these days anyways. Outside of paying millions for a T.50 there are no real supercars left in my opinion since none offer a manual.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this is probably the wrong crowd, because we all obviously like obscene amounts of power with that spiritual shiver-inducing supercharger whine...but I'm kind of excited about the EV thing. Being able to buy a car for my wife that takes virtually no maintenance and has extremely low operating costs makes for a larger gas budget for my Hellcat. 😈. No guilty feelings about getting 10mpg when I beat the hell out of mine. Let's not forget less demand for gas (EVs) could provide some relief on gas prices eventually for those still with ICE.

Muscle cars have died before but that has never stopped the people who want them from owning one. We're lucky enough that there are hundreds of thousands of supercharged Challengers, Chargers, Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, Cadillacs and more built over the past 10 years. For those of us that want a badass 3rd car in the garage, that's not going away. Hell, my RoadRunner was 50 years old still giving me kicks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can't wait for the day to I get the opportunity to dump everything I own with a sparkplug. If they could come up on their charging tech, meaning if they could get at least an 80% charge in a battery in under 5mins without it reaching the temperature of the sun I'd be all over it. Gas motors/engines, ect are done.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I know this is probably the wrong crowd, because we all obviously like obscene amounts of power with that spiritual shiver-inducing supercharger whine...but I'm kind of excited about the EV thing. Being able to buy a car for my wife that takes virtually no maintenance and has extremely low operating costs makes for a larger gas budget for my Hellcat. 😈. No guilty feelings about getting 10mpg when I beat the hell out of mine. Let's not forget less demand for gas (EVs) could provide some relief on gas prices eventually for those still with ICE.

Muscle cars have died before but that has never stopped the people who want them from owning one. We're lucky enough that there are hundreds of thousands of supercharged Challengers, Chargers, Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, Cadillacs and more built over the past 10 years. For those of us that want a badass 3rd car in the garage, that's not going away. Hell, my RoadRunner was 50 years old still giving me kicks!
These cars are not maintenance free. Sure, it's a little less with no oil changes, however, I don't see these being much cheaper to maintain over the course of 100k miles compared to my Hyundai Elantra which is my daily driver. I did absolutely nothing to that thing outside of tires/brakes (Which EV's need), and an oil change every 7500 miles. Oil change was a $20 5 quart, and a $5 oil filter. So $25 every 7500 miles. That's it. At 100k I flushed the coolant system out (Which EV's also have BTW), did the accessory belt $15, and changed the spark plugs $30. That's it. I vacuum the air filter and re-use it. So about 400 bucks over an EV over 100k miles. Big whoop. Sure, there are ultra-complex ICE vehicles out there, but who's fault is that? No one forced you to buy a Hellcat as a daily driver. You could have bought the $15k Elantra like I did. The best part is that even though i'm now out of warranty with the Elantra, it doesn't scare me much. That engine & transmission will do at least another 100k miles easy, and i'm really only going to need to worry about suspension stuff to replace. (Which EV's also have) If the engine does blow up? Guess what - It costs $2000 for a new long block on that thing, and I can do the labor myself. A Tesla? Hell no. If anything battery/powertrain breaks out of warranty you're done. It's garbage at that point.

At the end of the day I heavily dispute the running cost argument between the two. They're comparing averages, and that average includes over-complicated Mercedes that cost a fortune to maintain.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I can't wait for the day to I get the opportunity to dump everything I own with a sparkplug. If they could come up on their charging tech, meaning if they could get at least an 80% charge in a battery in under 5mins without it reaching the temperature of the sun I'd be all over it. Gas motors/engines, ect are done.
Quit being a Turd.............Turd 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have nothing against electric cars. I just don't think the technology is ready. I will be an adopter, but not an early adopter. I will buy an electric car when a 1500-mile non-stop road trip takes the same time in an electric as a gasoline car. What I mean is the longer it takes to go from 0% to 100% charge, the longer range I need out of a charge. In my Challenger, less than 10 minutes of refueling gets me 220 miles (which as we all know is much worse than in most other cars)--that means I'm going to want 880 miles of range for that 40 minute charge time. That's just the first problem.

The other problem that no one is talking or thinking about is that electric cars have a lot in common with iPhones and we all know what happens to the value of your current iPhone when the new one comes out. What do you think your 180 mile range Tesla will be worth when a significant breakthrough in battery or charging technology becomes available? Electric cars will NEVER appreciate in the long term like ICE cars do. The best case scenario is something analogous to people collecting old TVs or early 80s computers. Old electronics, which your electric car will quickly become, only start having some value after they've long since become otherwise useless. Electric cars are not made to be upgradeable, they're made to be disposable.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts