SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have nothing against electric cars. I just don't think the technology is ready. I will be an adopter, but not an early adopter. I will buy an electric car when a 1500-mile non-stop road trip takes the same time in an electric as a gasoline car. What I mean is the longer it takes to go from 0% to 100% charge, the longer range I need out of a charge. In my Challenger, less than 10 minutes of refueling gets me 220 miles (which as we all know is much worse than in most other cars)--that means I'm going to want 880 miles of range for that 40 minute charge time. That's just the first problem.

The other problem that no one is talking or thinking about is that electric cars have a lot in common with iPhones and we all know what happens to the value of your current iPhone when the new one comes out. What do you think your 180 mile range Tesla will be worth when a significant breakthrough in battery or charging technology becomes available? Electric cars will NEVER appreciate in the long term like ICE cars do. The best case scenario is something analogous to people collecting old TVs or early 80s computers. Old electronics, which your electric car will quickly become, only start having some value after they've long since become otherwise useless. Electric cars are not made to be upgradeable, they're made to be disposable.
Yeah, that's my other big issue with EV's. I do 12-17 hour drives fairly frequent. With an EV i'd have to add on quite a bit of time. With my car? It's a couple gas stops that take 5 minutes. They only take 10-15 minutes because I like to stop at the same time and stretch out, and grab a big gulp. With the routes I drive, there typically aren't even EV stations, and the few that exist are a joke. There are multi-hour lines, and even then, you still have to charge. If that's your thing, I don't have a problem with it. However, I've got shit to do. I don't want to add on another 2-4 hours minimum (Likely way more) to my already 17 hour drive.

·
Registered
2021 Charger RedEye
187 Posts
I have nothing against electric cars. I just don't think the technology is ready. I will be an adopter, but not an early adopter. I will buy an electric car when a 1500-mile non-stop road trip takes the same time in an electric as a gasoline car. What I mean is the longer it takes to go from 0% to 100% charge, the longer range I need out of a charge. In my Challenger, less than 10 minutes of refueling gets me 220 miles (which as we all know is much worse than in most other cars)--that means I'm going to want 880 miles of range for that 40 minute charge time. That's just the first problem.

The other problem that no one is talking or thinking about is that electric cars have a lot in common with iPhones and we all know what happens to the value of your current iPhone when the new one comes out. What do you think your 180 mile range Tesla will be worth when a significant breakthrough in battery or charging technology becomes available? Electric cars will NEVER appreciate in the long term like ICE cars do. The best case scenario is something analogous to people collecting old TVs or early 80s computers. Old electronics, which your electric car will quickly become, only start having some value after they've long since become otherwise useless. Electric cars are not made to be upgradeable, they're made to be disposable.
Great Points! And what will happen when Tesla or any other EV manufacture decide they are no longer going to support said computer software in these things?
I'm not against EVs either, but will be a late adopter, and will keep my ICE!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Me personally, I hope they do something with a hybrid as far as performance goes. I think if they are strictly going all EV in performance they're going to miss out on sales. I would be all in on a hybrid not so much EV. The structure just isn't there yet for charging stations and access to them. But a hybrid. That's a yes for me.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
46 Posts
I’ll have an EV for an A to B car but there is nothing exciting about them to me. It doesn’t matter if they run the 1/4 in 4 seconds it’s just sterile. If that’s your thing I say enjoy it but it’s not mine and none of this EV nonsense is going to change what’s going on with the climate or save the planet. End of the day I guess I’m just going to pay $10 a gallon for fuel until they outright ban it sometime in the future.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I’ll have an EV for an A to B car but there is nothing exciting about them to me. It doesn’t matter if they run the 1/4 in 4 seconds it’s just sterile. If that’s your thing I say enjoy it but it’s not mine and none of this EV nonsense is going to change what’s going on with the climate or save the planet. End of the day I guess I’m just going to pay $10 a gallon for fuel until they outright ban it sometime in the future.
I'll ALWAYS have a hellcat in one form or another. It's been my dream car since they released it how many years ago. It took me a long time to save up for one but I did it and I just got mine a month ago. I'll never not have it. Nothing can replace the feeling you get behind the wheel of these cars.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lets not forget that absolutely abysmal environmental impact these EV's have. Sure they are not pumping garbage out the tailpipe, but think bigger picture. Think of all these rare element mines that companies just destroy the local environment and eco system to get the materials to make these batteries, to the toxic materials left over after their service life. Not to mention where do these people think the electricity comes from? How about the all wiring and the copper to make them work? Is that stuff free? Free as in environmentally free. As it sits right now EV's cost about $2 per mile to drive just in electricity costs. On a national infrastructure side of the house, that a whole other problem/issue. California which cant even handle the electrical load to its grid during summer months, what do they think they can do when everyone is driving electrical cars?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'll ALWAYS have a hellcat in one form or another. It's been my dream car since they released it how many years ago. It took me a long time to save up for one but I did it and I just got mine a month ago. I'll never not have it. Nothing can replace the feeling you get behind the wheel of these cars.
Before I could drive I had a girlfriend with a VW Sirocco. She taught me a lot in that car--including how to drive and shift a 5 speed. Ever since then I've had an appreciation for German cars and that is all I've ever owned before the Challenger. I bought this car for many of the same reasons people who don't own them complain about. To them it's outdated, but to me it's the type of car Dad had. I'd sit in his lap and work the wheel while he took care of the peddles. It's a car designed by and for people who know what its like to ride a bike without a helmet and kneepads, for those of us who played outside without parental supervision, and for those who would have rather drank from the garden hose that go back inside. There is something truly special about these cars. And I'm glad to have had the opportunity to own one before it's gone.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
1,261 Posts
I'm an old guy so the whole EV thing doesn't bother me any more than anything else, like the entire country going to crap, following the entire world going to crap because everything is run by pinhead bureaucrats who never did a day of real work in their lives.

I have mine and feel very lucky that I had the chance to enjoy the 2nd coming of the Muscle Car since I missed the first one. So the 1st Muscle car era was what, 8 years maybe (64-72)? Not much different this time.

Whenever something good happens, forces collect to squash it. Happy people are much harder to control than subjects.

Gotta go, the nurse just said it's last call for bingo!

BTW: Will the EVHC be available with the M6?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
177 Posts
Lets not forget that absolutely abysmal environmental impact these EV's have. Sure they are not pumping garbage out the tailpipe, but think bigger picture. Think of all these rare element mines that companies just destroy the local environment and eco system to get the materials to make these batteries, to the toxic materials left over after their service life. Not to mention where do these people think the electricity comes from? How about the all wiring and the copper to make them work? Is that stuff free? Free as in environmentally free. As it sits right now EV's cost about $2 per mile to drive just in electricity costs. On a national infrastructure side of the house, that a whole other problem/issue. California which cant even handle the electrical load to its grid during summer months, what do they think they can do when everyone is driving electrical cars?
Point well taken, but assume at 15MPG you will consume 3000 gallons of fuel at 45,000 miles. That's about 6000 gallons of crude oil, or about 150 barrels of oil just for 1 car. I think you can figure out that it's not as easy as condemning an entire industry without looking at both sides.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Point well taken, but assume at 15MPG you will consume 3000 gallons of fuel at 45,000 miles. That's about 6000 gallons of crude oil, or about 150 barrels of oil just for 1 car. I think you can figure out that it's not as easy as condemning an entire industry without looking at both sides.
Except the fuel turns into plants-love-it CO2 and water and the lithium etc, turns into what? Medicine for kids?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah, let’s wait for price! Is a Tesla cheap? 😂😂
I don’t think so. But let’s wait. If manufacturers keep allowing dealers to put ADM’s on their cars, let’s sit tight, wrap your popcorns and enjoy 😂😂

+$30,000 over for a regular widebody.

Photograph Font Communication Device Line Material property

·
Registered
479 Posts
It’s all smoke and mirrors, from wind generators and solar panels, to battery cars. It’s not for the environment, it’s for government subsidies. Next, we’ll have big fuel taxes, to well, save the environment of course. Unless America wakes up, life as we know it will be over.
It's already over, my friend. It's already over.

21 - 40 of 141 Posts