SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Comfortably Numb
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,523 Posts
first gear is tall enough to take you to 60mph and the car will idle at 8mph in first gear... so stop n go traffic will suk big time.. the clutch is smooth as butter...

as far as heavy, they are all heavy in stop n go bumper to bumper traffic ;)

I think if you like driving a manual, you will love the hellcat...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
154 Posts
I have no idea why some people think its high pressure. I could drive all day in traffic and have no complaints.... When driving, I know it's not my old S2000 .... but It's not hard enough that I even think about it...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
154 Posts
My last stick shift was my S2000 which had maybe the best manual transmission ever. With over 1200 miles on my HC the clutch is not something I really think of or complain about even in traffic. I'm not a Cobra expert, but I think it had essentially the same transmission Tremec 6060..

·
The K.N.O.B. Rules
Challenger SRT Hellcat
367 Posts
Thanks. The car magazines have criticized the heaviness of the pressure plate. How do you think it would compare to say a Ford Mustang Cobra?
way lighter than an '04 Cobra, maybe just a hair heavier than an '09 STR8 [what I had to let go to make room]

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
154 Posts
As I'm reflecting on my HC purchase, I would like to say for me the M6 was the way to go. My last car (after the S2K) was a 2007 C6 convertible. I really wanted the manual in that, but settled for a great deal and got the A6. I regretted that decision on the way home and for 6 more years. The A8 in the HC is supposed to be spectacular and I'm sure it's light years ahead of the transmission I had in the vette. That being said, for me, there is nothing that increases the enjoyment of driving than banging the gears myself.... It is clearly a debatable decision as there are numerous threads on the subject. If you like a manual transmission, don't let the reports of the M6 having a tough clutch dissuade you -- they are overblown IMO.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,536 Posts
My last stick shift was my S2000 which had maybe the best manual transmission ever. With over 1200 miles on my HC the clutch is not something I really think of or complain about even in traffic. I'm not a Cobra expert, but I think it had essentially the same transmission Tremec 6060..
Go drive a MX-5 Miata and then tell me how the shifter and clutch feels. In my experience (and many others) it is one of the best transmissions/clutches to control in the world, as far as stock goes. Forget about the looks or lack of power, just focus on the driving.. it's amazing, really. Short throws and great feel.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
154 Posts
Go drive a MX-5 Miata and then tell me how the shifter and clutch feels. In my experience (and many others) it is one of the best transmissions/clutches to control in the world, as far as stock goes. Forget about the looks or lack of power, just focus on the driving.. it's amazing, really. Short throws and great feel.
Do we really need to argue about the transmissions in two cars that aren't even Hellcats? For the record, I've driven both and they are each excellent.

Matt

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,536 Posts
Do we really need to argue about the transmissions in two cars that aren't even Hellcats? For the record, I've driven both and they are each excellent.

Matt
Who's arguing? Simply pointing out that the MX-5 has an excellent transmission as well. *shrug*

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,013 Posts
This women doesn't work out. She drives a 6 speed Hellcat.... It's great for the legs..

Reactions: hellcat562

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,695 Posts
I have a more recent build (#2222) and am amazed at how low the clutch effort is. Doesn't even feel like I'm in a hi-power vehicle, the clutch is super EASY to hold down and to push in and out, amazing!

·
Yep, its got a HEMI
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,768 Posts
The clutch seems to let up lower and with about the same amount of pressure as my 2012 SRT8 392. The shifter is shorter and snappy compared with the 2012 model.
Overall I am pleasantly surprised with the Hellcat clutch

·
Comfortably Numb
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,523 Posts
I have a more recent build (#2222) and am amazed at how low the clutch effort is. Doesn't even feel like I'm in a hi-power vehicle, the clutch is super EASY to hold down and to push in and out, amazing!
maybe I think its heavy because my DD is a 4cyl 5sp Hyundai.. I literally cant feel the clutch or hear the engine after driving the hellcat.. makes for some interesting shifts!

·
Premium Member
13,620 Posts
I am one of those who would love to buy a Hellcat, but was told that I cannot order one at this time. But, if I could order one, I am debating between the 6 speed manual and the 8 speed automatic. I would prefer a manual, but from what I have read, the pressure plate is a calf killer, much like the Viper. I have sat in an SRT8 Challenger and the pressure plate effort is light and quite nice. I have been driving manual cars since 1970, but I don't want something that is a chore to drive in traffic as I am 63 and not a youth anymore. Could anyone who has a 6 speed chime in on the pressure plate effort? I
Well, it's unanimous! The writers of that article need to go for more walks! The clutch is very easy to engage and very easy to shift. I am not so keen on the skip shift issue but if you just get the RPMs up 3000+ it doesn't seem to be an issue! Very easy to drive the M6, I haven't regretted my decision yet. :D

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,854 Posts
IMHO--If you ever have knee issues like I do get the A8 so you can drive it all the time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.