SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone who has had both or has driven both, what are your guys thoughts and opinions? Generally just curious haha don't want to start any hate as both are amazing cars. One day I want to get a ZL1 1LE, but first I have a hellcat on order right now. Just wondering people's thoughts on both cars!

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,230 Posts
Here you go. I broke it down for you. Having come from a 1000hp Hellcat to my current 800hp ZL1. My ZL1 is not a 1LE but if you're looking for a 1LE you must know that you're buying a car meant for track days on a road course. The 1LE is not a great street driven vehicle due to the harsh ride. If you're buying it for that reason, there's really no reason to do a comparison because the Hellcat can't handle nearly as well as standard ZL1, much less a 1LE.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,230 Posts
If you like carving corners get a ZL1 but if you like violent straight line pulling G's get a Hellcat.
Definitely no hate here for any muscle car
What most people here don't know though is that a 6th Gen ZL1 runs just a quick as a Hellcat in a straight line too, but it can still handle well. Where the Hellcat has advantages is interior room, trunk space and its cheaper to modify for going fast in a straight line. That doesn't mean that a modified ZL1 won't run similar times to a modified Hellcat in the 1/4, there are some 8 second 6th Gen ZL1's out there and they're doing it without a huge stroker motor like the Hellcat's are doing. Its the advantage of the ZL1 that weighs 600+ less in stock trim.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Indigo Blue with Graphics Package
1,340 Posts
Hands down for comfort it's the HC. I drove all the muscle before buying. It took me months to decide. I'm in my second HC Challenger but this one is a Redeye...

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
1,356 Posts
Why does this same discussion keep happening? Wasnt there a thread with like 4 paragraph write up replies pertaining to this exact subject?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
114 Posts
To anyone who has had both or has driven both, what are your guys thoughts and opinions? Generally just curious haha don't want to start any hate as both are amazing cars. One day I want to get a ZL1 1LE, but first I have a hellcat on order right now. Just wondering people's thoughts on both cars!
I know you shot me a PM, but then I saw this thread so figured I would answer here in case others are interested.

I have both a ZL1 1LE and WB Challenger Redeye. They are both awesome but vastly different. The only analogy I can think of is comparing a Kawasaki Ninja to a Harley. The ZL1 1LE is about as hardcore as you can get via American muscle. It's got 650HP and a rigid race car suspension. Between the front splitter, canards and rear wing it is also a very visually striking car. The interior of the ZL1 is like a cockpit but still very comfortable with Recaro seats. The Redeye is just all motor, sound and comfort. The ZL1 will beat you up after an hour of street driving, while you can drive the Redeye across the country as it's like a Cadillac on the highway. The supercharger whine on the redeye is about the best sound in the world. The redeye weights 700 lbs more that the ZL1, so at 650HP vs 797 HP don't think for a minute that the ZL1 is slow in a straight line, but it's still no match for the redeye until you hit the brakes or take that first turn. At the end of the day, they make one hell of a combo, I love both and I'm lucky to have both so I don't have to decide which one to get.

Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
617 Posts
While not popular in HC forums, I was cross shopping those exact cars and drove a bunch of each to figure out what I wanted. The ZL1 just felt like the better car all around and much more refined. It was more comfortable for me as the driver, handled better, felt like it put the power down easier, etc... Why did I get a HC then? Simple, the Hellcat felt more raw and in your face and was basically more fun for me to drive. Plus the backseats of the ZL1 just were not nearly as usable for my with my kids.

My advice to anyone in your shoes is to drive as many as you can of both platforms as the differences between cars is more about how you feel in both unless you are tracking the cars. At the end of the day, if you are looking for a raw in your face performer then the HC is your car. If you are looking for more refinement with more features then the ZL1 is your car. Here is the part where you muddy the waters though. The HC is much more comfortable in a long trip though. It's not near as refined but Dodge just got the seating right (at least for me) in the HC.

Either way, can't go wrong. Great world we live in and a great lives we live for that to be our dilemma's. Hard to feel that way these days but when you cut through the bull crap, we're pretty blessed.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye
666 Posts
What most people here don't know though is that a 6th Gen ZL1 runs just a quick as a Hellcat in a straight line too, but it can still handle well. Where the Hellcat has advantages is interior room, trunk space and its cheaper to modify for going faster in a straight line. That doesn't mean that a modified ZL1 won't run similar times to a modified Hellcat in the 1/4, there are some 8 second 6th Gen ZL1's out there and they're doing without a huge stroker motor like the Hellcat's are doing. Its the advantage of the ZL1 that weight 600+ less in stock trim.
Pretty much this... the basic ZL1 is on par with the standard Hellcat....and well worth owning if you want something that does everything well. It's smaller, but its a fast car. Do not be fooled, the ZL1 is very much as violent, it just has better tires from the word go.

I had the A10 ZL1 and now own a Redeye... but I am still very much a Camaro guy at heart..

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,230 Posts
While not popular in HC forums, I was cross shopping those exact cars and drove a bunch of each to figure out what I wanted. The ZL1 just felt like the better car all around and much more refined. It was more comfortable for me as the driver, handled better, felt like it put the power down easier, etc... Why did I get a HC then? Simple, the Hellcat felt more raw and in your face and was basically more fun for me to drive. Plus the backseats of the ZL1 just were not nearly as usable for my with my kids.

My advice to anyone in your shoes is to drive as many as you can of both platforms as the differences between cars is more about how you feel in both unless you are tracking the cars. At the end of the day, if you are looking for a raw in your face performer then the HC is your car. If you are looking for more refinement with more features then the ZL1 is your car. Here is the part where you muddy the waters though. The HC is much more comfortable in a long trip though. It's not near as refined but Dodge just got the seating right (at least for me) in the HC.

Either way, can't go wrong. Great world we live in and a great lives we live for that to be our dilemma's. Hard to feel that way these days but when you cut through the bull crap, we're pretty blessed.
Yep, good summary. When I bought my Hellcat almost 4 years ago, I needed the back seats more than I do today so when I sold it for the ZL1, it didn't bother me much. I do miss the massive trunk space of the Hellcat though, the ZL1 is laughable, the trunk is actually not bad but they give you a tiny opening which means I can't even get a large box in there even though the trunk is big enough for it. The ZL1 feels planted and solid, you never feel like you're not in control, the Hellcat always felt on edge to me like if I wasn't careful, I could lose it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,038 Posts
Drive them both and find out for yourself. My priorities were what car do I prefer to drive and which one would I rather stare at in my driveway. Personally, I chose the Hellcat. This is coming from a long time GM guy..

the Hellcat made me fall in love with cars again and literally gave me everything I wanted and more. It's like dodge knew all criteria I wanted in a car and gave it to me. With the Red Eye being available now, it's even more of a no brainer imo

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,230 Posts
Drive them both and find out for yourself. My priorities were what car do I prefer to drive and which one would I rather stare at in my driveway. Personally, I chose the Hellcat. This is coming from a long time GM guy.. the Hellcat made me fall in love with cars again and literally gave me everything I wanted and more
Same here until I got bored with the Hellcat and fell in love with the new ZL1.

Reactions: DevilsReject97

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
162 Posts
I was in the market for the 6th gen ZL1 Camaros as well. It was between the regular ZL1, ZL1 1LE, or Hellcat. I wrote off the ZL1 1LE as it is such a dedicated track car and hearing often how it can be a stiff ride and not the greatest daily driver like the regular ZL1 with the mag ride and all. Even though the ZL1 1LE has one of the most sinister looks to it I felt like it would attract too much attention especially from law enforcement and the big wing would cause drag when going high speeds.

Honestly though the ride in the ZL1 1LE really isn’t that bad, it’s not for most though as it can maybe make some nauseous due to it being bouncy on some bumpy roads but it can be fine on smooth roads and eventually you get use to the cars ride. Just be considerate and take rough roads or even train tracks a little slower. It’s a pretty entertaining car.

The regular ZL1 with the A10 is a good option as the manuals are notorious with the bog issue I think from the 2017-2018 models and had to be tuned out to fix. I’m sure the 2019 models and up fixed this issue. The 1.7 liter blower on the ZL1 seems to be costly when it comes to modding while the hellcat’s bigger blower is more cost efficient (one of the reasons why I went with it). I also went with the Hellcat because I was in the mood for a muscle car as the Camaros today are sports cars and didn’t feel like having a sports car right now.

I enjoy my 2019 cat it’s pretty well loaded and it’s more comfortable while being a great daily and road trip car with a good muscle sound. The recaros in the ZL1 are not bad and comfortable too and it’s obviously not as roomy as the cat. Someone with wide muscular Lats would be constantly poking those side bolsters in the recaors as they are snug and tight fitting but hold you in good to remind you it’s supposed to take corners. The recaros hold you in better than the Hellcat seats, but the hellcat seats still hold you in nicely. Comfort, space, retro muscle and more bang for buck modding goes to the hellcat. The ZL1 will have the edge in handling and has the sports car feel. Love the ambient lighting on the side doors and around the infotainment system.

The ZL1s whine sounds a little funny I guess and not as prominent as the Hellcats. What I love most about the Hellcat is that it is raw and sounds dominant where I feel like the ZL1 lacks. The ZL1 does sound good in its own way but the Hellcat has the muscle sound that I love and screams pure power. People out there with their trucks and train horns think there dominant out there but a screaming freight train Hellcat blows all of that way. It just has a raw presence on the street. The ZL1 does have a nice beautiful front end sinister look and personally to me the only best looking 6th gens are the ZL1s. Yes it does have a smaller interior and something you’d have to get use to as opposed to the Hellcat but maybe for some it’s something they may be fine with over time.

Test drive and sit in both and see which one speaks to you the most. There both pretty much as fast as each other stock for stock. Both the ZL1 and Hellcat are great cars and I like them both. Sure there are tradeoffs between the two cars, personal preference is what matters at the end of the day. Good luck with your decision hope this helps can’t go wrong with either honestly. After I’m done with my Hellcat I just might look into an M6 ZL1 one day.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
162 Posts
For reference heres a few videos I found that are both stock cars with the auto trans pretty much showing you there both similiar in speed one may pull on the other due to whoever gets the hit first. There pretty much a drivers race.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
162 Posts
Op forgot to mention you can change out the stock tires on the ZLE with some friendly daily driver tires like the Michelin PS4S or like a Continental ECS tires for a little better smoother ride on the street. You can also save the stock tires from the ZLE for those track days.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
12 Posts
I have both. One thing not mentioned above is the difference in build quality. The Dodge's build quality is way better than the GM. Paint/body/fit/finish. The Camaro, while stunning in its performance, feels super "tinny" compared to the Dodge.

G

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,230 Posts
I have both. One thing not mentioned above is the difference in build quality. The Dodge's build quality is way better than the GM. Paint/body/fit/finish. The Camaro, while stunning in its performance, feels super "tinny" compared to the Dodge.

G
Got to disagree there. I have perfect body lines on my ZL1, everything fits perfect, paint was fine too, no runs or trash in the paint like my Hellcat. Interior quality is a toss up, both are nice.

Reactions: DevilsReject97

·
Registered
666 Posts

G
Also gonna disagree as well. The paint issues are the same on most cars these days, and depending on the color you get, can dictate possible problems you'll experience. As for the rest, well, the Camaro is higher rated in crash tests and safety, so there is that. All in all, it's really going to come down PURELY to preference.

I owned a 2018 ZL1 A10, now own a 2020 Redeye Challenger...

Both are fantastically amazing cars, both do things VERY WELL in their own ways... and honestly, aside from a difference in size, I really can't fault much on either car...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
162 Posts
Also gonna disagree as well. The paint issues are the same on most cars these days, and depending on the color you get, can dictate possible problems you'll experience. As for the rest, well, the Camaro is higher rated in crash tests and safety, so there is that. All in all, it's really going to come down PURELY to preference.

I owned a 2018 ZL1 A10, now own a 2020 Redeye Challenger...

Both are fantastically amazing cars, both do things VERY WELL in their own ways... and honestly, aside from a difference in size, I really can't fault much on either car...

Simply curious, what made you go from the ZL1 to the Redeye? It’s rare to see those make the switch from a ZL1 to a Hellcat as opposed to (from what I hear) most going from Hellcat to ZL1.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Simply curious, what made you go from the ZL1 to the Redeye? It’s rare to see those make the switch from a ZL1 to a Hellcat as opposed to (from what I hear) most going from Hellcat to ZL1.
3 things...
1.) Absolutely HATED the factory Recaro seats....just garbage imo (I know, I could have done something with them..)
2.) The car had some issues that while sorted under warranty, just left me with a bad taste as the car was moving to being out of bumper 2 bumper
3.) I'm 6'3" plus I wear a size 15/16 shoe.... the car was difficult to get in and out of in terms of a super long door and cramped space unless you could open the door all the way

The car was fantastic to drive.... everything the Hellcat can do PLUS turn right and left without issues. In all honesty, GM could absolutely decimate the standard Hellcat with minor changes to the factory ZL1 but they dont consider it at all. I loved my ZL1 and would buy another again, but I am someone who does appreciate the room of the Challenger. I had a 5th Gen SS before the ZL1 and both cars are of the same size.

About the only thing I'll miss on the ZL1 will be the handling... but having 150+ more hp is also an adventure of its own too :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts