SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,226 Posts
Simply curious, what made you go from the ZL1 to the Redeye? It’s rare to see those make the switch from a ZL1 to a Hellcat as opposed to (from what I hear) most going from Hellcat to ZL1.
I've seen quite a few folks go back and forth between these cars, I think in the end, we just end up wanting something different after a while.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
114 Posts
Having both currently, the fit & finish and interior/exterior quality is equal and they are both great. After 5 months in storage, took the Redeye for a 50 mile cruise today followed by a 50 mile ZL1 1LE cruise. The winter blues are GONE! :)

As far as pure driving fun factor IMO, The Redeye is an 8 and the 1LE is a 9.5.

·
Registered
2020 SRT Super Stock
47 Posts
I was on the hunt for a ZL1 with low miles, supercharger and 600HP sounds like fun to me. COVID hit and prices on used luxury items jumped. As I thought about it more 840HP and a supercharger sounds like a blast so I was looking at used Demons, again prices are high used Demon with low miles and the crate are in the $115-$130K range. I should be completing my purchase of a 2020 Superstock tomorrow, 807HP less than 200 made and priced reasonably with 3 year warranty. I've had probably 100 muscle cars and 4 newer corvettes and never thought I would have 800HP and a warranty to boot. The Super Stock will be enjoyed and pampered and hopefully retain value with the limited numbers made.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had a 2019 Challenger Redeye Widebody, sold it to Vroom, and just bought a 2021 ZL1 a few days ago. Honestly, I love both cars. Had my Dodge been another color, with different wheels, and without a sunroof, I would have kept it. But it didn't so I took advantage of the recent high value used car market and sold it for what I originally paid. I had ordered a new Challenger Redeye WB in the color and with the options I wanted, but the wait was killing me, and so I found a new ZL1 and bought it.

The ZL1 is a laser precise, cornering machine that can put it's excellent power down and just dig from a dead stop. You stand on the gas and it goes like hell, without a lot of drama. Corners that I took in the Redeye WB at 70 mph, I'm taking in the ZL1 at 80. It's easy to drive very fast. The Redeye WB is a muscle car that must be man-handled when applying full power. The Redeye WB is tremendous fun where the ZL1 is tremendously capable. I love both and wish I could have both.

·
Registered
21 Go Mango Charger Hellcat Widebody
115 Posts
I had a 2019 Challenger Redeye Widebody, sold it to Vroom, and just bought a 2021 ZL1 a few days ago. Honestly, I love both cars. Had my Dodge been another color, with different wheels, and without a sunroof, I would have kept it. But it didn't so I took advantage of the recent high value used car market and sold it for what I originally paid. I had ordered a new Challenger Redeye WB in the color and with the options I wanted, but the wait was killing me, and so I found a new ZL1 and bought it.

The ZL1 is a laser precise, cornering machine that can put it's excellent power down and just dig from a dead stop. You stand on the gas and it goes like hell, without a lot of drama. Corners that I took in the Redeye WB at 70 mph, I'm taking in the ZL1 at 80. It's easy to drive very fast. The Redeye WB is a muscle car that must be man-handled when applying full power. The Redeye WB is tremendous fun where the ZL1 is tremendously capable. I love both and wish I could have both.
100% I have a 2018 a10 ZL1 and im in the process of getting a 21 WB HC Charger for parent duty. The ZL1 is like driving a rollercoaster. Its unreal. And traction is plentiful. Just stab it and go. No drama. But thats not super fun either on the streets. The tire melting hellcat is going to be much more fun until I want to drag some ricer's ass and I cant even get off the line. Thats what the camaro is good for. Oh and as said above, the recaros are like prison cells for larger people. Little to no comfort and getting in and out is like getting in and out of a corvette. Its hard...lol

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
401 Posts
The ZL1 without a doubt is a better all around sports car. It misses a few small things from the factory but all cars do

It is hard to get in and out of compared to a charger haha. Watching my father in law who now lives with us get in and out of his ZL1 cracks me up everyday. But once your in there it’s roomy enough for me and I’m 6’4”. So everyone that says it’s too small inside for a tall guy is full of it. You can’t get the sunroof option though. I had a 5th gen ZL1 for a few years without a sunroof and even fit snug in there with a helmet on for track duty. The blind spots do take some getting used to, but don’t let it scare you away from trying one

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,226 Posts

Man, I've taken corners in my ZL1 at 120mph that I would have been very nervous taking in my Hellcat at even 90mph. Its just SO stable.

Reactions: DevilsReject97

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,226 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye
665 Posts
That is truly the only thing I miss about my ZL1, the ability to corner like it was nothing.... otherwise, I enjoy my Redeye.... that said, if I could have had Redeye power in my ZL1 from factory, I'd have suffered with the seats lol..

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've owned all 3. 2017 zl1, 2019 redeye, 2020 gt500 track pack. A very expensive learning lesson on the type of driving I like most. Plain and simple, if you like brute force muscle it's the hellcat and the redeye especially. Zl1 is flat out amazing especially for the money. But the things I didn't like about the zl1 were just driving preferences. Hated the view and visibility in zl1. Gt500 was better here. Zl1 put down power much better over gt500. A lot of it has to do with where you live and road conditions. In Washington state especially western we have rough roads with gravel in places from winter sanding. The tires on gt500 are flat out dangerous in cooler Temps and for some reason I didn't have that issue with the zl1 tires. Handling and stopping the gt500 is just incredible but zl1 is very very close on that department. Roll race from 50 to 160 gt500 faster and by a lot by the time you hit 140. But with all that my redeye was FUN like giggle fun because of the raw torque. If the hellcat had the zl1 transmission that would be bad ass. I have a 2021 super stock on order. Keeping this one a long time.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,226 Posts
That is truly the only thing I miss about my ZL1, the ability to corner like it was nothing.... otherwise, I enjoy my Redeye.... that said, if I could have had Redeye power in my ZL1 from factory, I'd have suffered with the seats lol..
Well, you could easily get Redeye power in a ZL1 with a few bolt on mods like I did but you lose your warranty which I'm sure is a factor for you. I'm still $10-15K less than a Redeye even after bolt on mods and it makes roughly the same power in a package that weighs 600lbs lighter.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I also did tune, air box, cat delete and lower pulley on zl1. Fun fast car. But redeye still wins the grins with the same mods. I did love my zl1, much more than that gt500.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,226 Posts
I also did tune, air box, cat delete and lower pulley on zl1. Fun fast car. But redeye still wins the grins with the same mods. I did love my zl1, much more than that gt500.
Hey, I've been there. Owned my 892whp Challenger Hellcat for 3 1/2 years, said I would never get rid of it but I did. In time you may see things differently too. I wanted a complete package and the ZL1 delivers.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,226 Posts
LOL. Those were 40 MPH corners, (damn near a hairpin), I was taking at 70 in the Redeye WB and 80 in the ZL1.
I guarantee you've still got more in the ZL1 that you haven't tapped yet. Comparing a ZL1 to a Hellcat in handling is like comparing a Hellcat to a Crown Victoria.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well, you could easily get Redeye power in a ZL1 with a few bolt on mods like I did but you lose your warranty which I'm sure is a factor for you. I'm still $10-15K less than a Redeye even after bolt on mods and it makes roughly the same power in a package that weighs 600lbs lighter.
My car had a few problems that were resolved under warranty but I had no comfort in keeping the car beyond the warranty, not even to mod it. Had I not had these issues, I probably would have looked at modding it, swapping the seats....

But I was looking at ZL1 costs that were putting the car north of 70k again for what I wanted...and I was already into the Redeye pricing at that point

·
Registered
665 Posts
I guarantee you've still got more in the ZL1 that you haven't tapped yet. Comparing a ZL1 to a Hellcat in handling is like comparing a Hellcat to a Crown Victoria.
More like comparing it to a dump truck....when it comes to road coursing, the car is literally on rails...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey, I've been there. Owned my 892whp Challenger Hellcat for 3 1/2 years, said I would never get rid of it but I did. In time you may see things differently too. I wanted a complete package and the ZL1 delivers.
Nope. Just the terrible visibility in the camaro enuff to not own another. It just gets down to personal opinion. I will say the zl1 does everything very good. For only 650 hp it uses its power very efficiently.

·
Registered
296 Posts
More like comparing it to a dump truck....when it comes to road coursing, the car is literally on rails...
Well, sorry to be a buzzkill, but I'm not a huge fan of demeaning Hellcats on a Hellcat Forum. Plus, I raced in SCCA for 15 years so I really don't have to defend my driving abilities. Gentlemen, I'm out of here.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts