SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I seem to be hearing more and more about Hellcats getting stolen......
1) From Rail Yards
2) Dealers when they get a night drop by the carrier
3) When parked in front of people's houses

So...I am wondering just how easy is it to steal one when you don't have the fob/key? I "assumed" these newer cars are harder to steal due to the amount of electronics that runs them (perhaps it makes is easier....?)

Anyone know just how difficult it is to steal one of our cars? What does it actually take to pull it off? Anything we can do to make it tougher...?

Would like your opinions please.

Thanks in advance,

NL

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,621 Posts
The keys are in mine. Come get it haha. But you’ll have to get past either a 12 gauge or an AR15.. maybe just keep it simple and blast you with the .45 heh.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,621 Posts
Now wheels that’s a different story. Lock those babies up. Or the Pro-tools thief will leave you on blocks in 5 minutes flat. No joke. Happened to me in Philly last summer in my 392.. quite a predicament that was.

Reactions: HUNTER

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,621 Posts
I never worry about my car being stolen.. more worried about a ding or my wheels gone.. don’t mean to repeat myself but seriously every time your car is in a shady place for a short time.. it’s most likely already got scouted by thieves. It comes down to prevention when your not at home... park near or under a camera. Make sure if it’s getting dark your under a street light and that street light isn’t burned out. When my wheels got stolen thieves blew out the street light my car was sitting under. So on camera you can hardly see anything just blurry images.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,621 Posts
Thieves want easy money. For most thieves stealing your car isn’t easy money. It’s pretty complicated unless your pro.. but taking your wheels without locks is like taking candy from a baby! Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
909 Posts
Hello all,
1) From Rail Yards

So...I am wondering just how easy is it to steal one when you don't have the fob/key? I "assumed" these newer cars are harder to steal due to the amount of electronics that runs them (perhaps it makes is easier....?)

Anyone know just how difficult it is to steal one of our cars? What does it actually take to pull it off? Anything we can do to make it tougher...?

Thanks in advance,

NL
It's this easy to steal any keyless/push button start vehicle if the fob is within range-
They are harder to steal the "old fashioned" way, but much easier to steal with a little tech help. Keep the fobs in a metal box and as far away from the car as possible when not in use, or lock the car up in a garage (or both).

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
615 Posts
Just finished putting my kill switch in. Even with the key fob you ain't starting the car.

However they can still tow it onto a flatbed and get out of dodge with it.

My friends jeep they pulled the winch cable out, hooked it to a truck and put the transfer case in neutral and just towed it away. Luckily they found it 20 miles from his house.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
179 Posts
I would imagine stealing the actual car to be harder than your average Honda/Toyota. Most thieves I assume will just go after your wheels/tires. Here's my take on it:

1. Thieves are opportunists, like Mike stated above. Don't leave your keys in your car and/or park it outside in a bad area.
  2. The Hellcats (and Scatpacks/392') are loud, VERY loud. Again, thieves are opportunists and starting up one of these things will draw immediate attention, especially at night when they conduct their shady business.
  3. Our cats are GPS tracked. Good luck to the would be thief. Some even have the "Phantom Footprint" all over the panels and registered.
  4. Security cameras, park infront or below them.
  5. Tint and do not leave valuables in plain sight by people walking by.
If you want to make it tougher to steal these cars (or any car), get a boot for all 4 wheels, wheel locks, steering wheel lock, and a kill switch. Keep your car in the garage, and hire a 24/7 security guard to monitor your premises with an AR locked and loaded.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
19 Posts
If somebody wants your car bad enough they will take it.

To be honest, it is not that hard. Just off the top of my head, think of all the times you saw a car being towed. Nobody is going to call that in as a car being stolen...

Also though, I would think you are much more likely to have either parts of your car stolen or valuables stolen from inside. If you steal an entire car you have to do something with it and it is a lot easier to track down.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
618 Posts
With the technology today any car can be stolen by a pro in less than 60 seconds, they can hack the ecu and bypass the immobilizer and trick the car into thinking the fob is in the car, but with that being said chances are most of you don't live near a "pro thief" and most of the time pro's go after stuff more rare like say lambo's, ferrari's, etc. etc.

Regular street thugs are more likely to go afrer your wheels and tires because they are easy flips on the street, not much of a black market for hellcat parts lol, I think some of you guys are being a little paranoid, there's much bigger fish or easier fish to fry than a loud @ss muscle car like say your run of the mill benz/bmw/ honda/toyota.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
521 Posts
Just read the publisher for Autoweek was loaned a new Hellcat from FCA. Stolen from his driveway the first day he had it.:eek:

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
5,005 Posts
Isn't technology great. Soon with cars driving themselves if someone wants to put a hit on you they will just hack into the cars computer and drive you off a cliff or into a wall. Technology is great.

This is a great movie for those who like this type of stuff. There is a nice Challenger in this movie too.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
618 Posts
Isn't technology great. Soon with cars driving themselves if someone wants to put a hit on you they will just hack into the cars computer and drive you off a cliff or into a wall. Technology is great.

This is a great movie for those who like this type of stuff.

yeah and pretty soon people can commit hit and runs without touching the steering wheel. I wonder if there will be life in prison for "bad" cars.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
20 Posts
Hello all,
1) From Rail Yards

Thanks in advance,

NL
I recently had a DREAM someone stole my Hellcat and some how I knew where the car was... it was at a race track... they were about to race it.. so I pull up and this old lady gets out... and I just immediately started punching her in face! Hahaha... I woke right up like wtf... It was such a crazy dream I didn't even check and see if my car was outside...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,475 Posts
Don't discount that somebody did something stupid like leave the fob in the vehicle and sure as heck are not going to admit that. Otherwise just pick the vehicle up with a wrecker by the rear wheels and drag it off.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
73 Posts
The easy way they steal them is by amplifying the key fob signal like someone said earlier. The best thing you can do is build a small faraday cage/box/pouch to put your keys in while you're home. They make little pouches you can carry your keys in so that no one can steal your signal in a public place (like if you go to restaurant and they steal your signal while you're eating), but you have to take the fob out of the pouch when you're going to use the car.

Your microwave is a faraday cage, you can put your key fob in there... but you might forget it's in there when you put your cup o noodles in there. lol

1 - 20 of 104 Posts