SRT Hellcat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,156 Posts
This will slow them down
That's my point....hopefully they will move on to an easier car to steal. If they REALLY want it, they'll risk the extra time it'll take to either saw through it or bust the lock out. Most thugs won't fool with it unless you have the car parked away from everything and everybody.

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
623 Posts
That's my point....hopefully they will move on to an easier car to steal. If they REALLY want it, they'll risk the extra time it'll take to either saw through it or bust the lock out. Most thugs won't fool with it unless you have the car parked away from everything and everybody.
Yes, bottom line is if they want it bad enough they will get it. Reason why I will never leave my car outside overnight.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
367 Posts
My car came with a SWAT system. If the car is moved without me doing it I get notified via my phone. And if it happens in my driveway I just let my Rhodesian Ridgebacks out. Brother and sister. They work like a wolf pack. As the POS is getting shredded I pull out my Turkish semi auto military 12 gauge. It dispenses 64 9mm balls in 4 seconds. Or I can use my 9 prong cattle prod. Or both. But I keep my keyfobs in a static bag.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
618 Posts
My car came with a SWAT system. If the car is moved without me doing it I get notified via my phone. And if it happens in my driveway I just let my Rhodesian Ridgebacks out. Brother and sister. They work like a wolf pack. As the POS is getting shredded I pull out my Turkish semi auto military 12 gauge. It dispenses 64 9mm balls in 4 seconds. Or I can use my 9 prong cattle prod. Or both. But I keep my keyfobs in a static bag.
Except if they are pro's they can steal your car in under 2 minutes by hacking the ecu and forcing the car to think the key is in the car. Then while you and your dogs are fast asleep they strip ur car in 12-24 hours and all the parts are shipped out to junkyards, international, etc etc

No car is immune and no amount of protection is going to keep your car safe from somebody who is determined unless you have people babysitting the car 24/7 wherever you go.

This thread has gotten out of hand lmao, many of you have probably for the first time owned a car that was hot for stealing but for those who have owned, M cars, Amg, viper, Corvette, lambo, ferrari, etc etc this is nothing new thieves have been doing this since the begining of time.

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
623 Posts
Except if they are pro's they can steal your car in under 2 minutes by hacking the ecu and forcing the car to think the key is in the car. Then while you and your dogs are fast asleep they strip ur car in 12-24 hours and all the parts are shipped out to junkyards, international, etc etc

No car is immune and no amount of protection is going to keep your car safe from somebody who is determined unless you have people babysitting the car 24/7 wherever you go.

This thread has gotten out of hand lmao, many of you have probably for the first time owned a car that was hot for stealing but for those who have owned, M cars, Amg, viper, Corvette, lambo, ferrari, etc etc this is nothing new thieves have been doing this since the begining of time.
Honestly....it's called a garage lol that's really what this boils down to. The odds of someone breaking into a garage to then break into a car are slim to none. It's the cars that are left outside that are most vulnerable and yes you are correct....there is nothing one can do to make a car immune to theft, especially if it's left outside. Gotta stay on your Ps/Qs and hope for the best.

That whole "I live in a nice neighborhood....my car is safe" mindset is the dumbest mindset you could have. Do what you can to protect your investments no matter where you live.

Reactions: bay_area

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
618 Posts
Honestly....it's called a garage lol that's really what this boils down to. The odds of someone breaking into a garage to then break into a car are slim to none. It's the cars that are left outside that are most vulnerable and yes you are correct....there is nothing one can do to make a car immune to theft, especially if it's left outside. Gotta stay on your Ps/Qs and hope for the best.

That whole "I live in a nice neighborhood....my car is safe" mindset is the dumbest mindset you could have. Do what you can to protect your investments no matter where you live.
that's true, garage is the best theft deterrent.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,156 Posts
Sure - a garage is great, and that's where mine usually is 95% of the time (when I'm not driving it). And yes, a garage is your best bet to prevent it from getting stolen. But then you're restricting yourself to driving your car to local events and things close to home....that's not why I bought it.

I like to go to events out of state with it also as I'm sure others do too. That involves it sitting in Hotel/Motel parking lots overnight at times. - It would be awesome if your Holiday Inn room included a private garage for your car....but they don't sadly.

And as correctly said - If they want your car bad enough, they'll get it. I would think the best way to deter these crooks is to at least make your car a little bit more difficult to take than others, so I figure if I park it in a lot overnight I try to park it in a decently lit area. If I can see the car from my hotel room its a bonus.

-If I use a faraday pouch for my key fob, at least I can be fairly certain the signal won't get hacked. And lastly, if I turn the steering full right or left when I park it and install a club on the steering wheel...it'll be more difficult for them to through it in neutral and roll it to a location where it can be loaded onto a tow truck. Can they bust the lock on the club - yep. Can they hacksaw the club in half? - yes again.

Question is, will they take the time to do all that? Maybe...but most likely not.

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
623 Posts
Sure - a garage is great, and that's where mine usually is 95% of the time (when I'm not driving it). And yes, a garage is your best bet to prevent it from getting stolen. But then you're restricting yourself to driving your car to local events and things close to home....that's not why I bought it.

I like to go to events out of state with it also as I'm sure others do too. That involves it sitting in Hotel/Motel parking lots overnight at times. - It would be awesome if your Holiday Inn room included a private garage for your car....but they don't sadly.
While this is true, that's not the point I was making. If you are traveling away from home with the car then all bets are off. Anything can happen to your car and the OP didn't mention a scenario about being away at a car show. I was strictly referring to protecting your car while it's at your residence. Parking it in front of a friends house overnight is just silly.

Whether the car is outside in your backyard or some hotel parking lot out of state, it's open season for a thief. Again, it's all about doing what you can to prevent them.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,156 Posts
-Also, don't leave any expensive stuff laying around inside the car either!!!

-There's others that live in apartments or a house with no garage. Everything I said would also apply to that too BTW. But - YES - if you have a garage, park it in there and lock it up!

Reactions: granitecitycat

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
623 Posts
Bingo. It kills me when people say they leave entire wallets or personal information in their car within plain sight.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
618 Posts

And as correctly said - If they want your car bad enough, they'll get it. I would think the best way to deter these crooks is to at least make your car a little bit more difficult to take than others, so I figure if I park it in a lot overnight I try to park it in a decently lit area. If I can see the car from my hotel room its a bonus.

-If I use a faraday pouch for my key fob, at least I can be fairly certain the signal won't get hacked. And lastly, if I turn the steering full right or left when I park it and install a club on the steering wheel...it'll be more difficult for them to through it in neutral and roll it to a location where it can be loaded onto a tow truck. Can they bust the lock on the club - yep. Can they hacksaw the club in half? - yes again.

Question is, will they take the time to do all that? Maybe...but most likely not.

I mean yeah but most thieves go for residential areas because they know the owners are most likely asleep. In hotels, random lots, etc they don't know when you're coming back aside from maybe if they have a hookup with the valet.

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
623 Posts
I mean yeah but most thieves go for residential areas because they know the owners are most likely asleep. In hotels, random lots, etc they don't know when you're coming back aside from maybe if they have a hookup with the valet.
Couldn't have said it any better. Sometimes you have to think like a common thief in order to help deter them lol.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,156 Posts
Did you know 7 cars were stolen from hotel parking lots during last year's Hot Rod Power Tour?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,156 Posts
They were "targeted" that night since they were only in that town THAT NIGHT.....just like A LOT of cars that are stolen.

I mean....if the post is about how a car in a locked up garage is safer from being stolen than a car sitting on the street is...then YA....duh.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
618 Posts
They were "targeted" that night since they were only in that town THAT NIGHT.....just like A LOT of cars that are stolen.

I mean....if the post is about how a car in a locked up garage is safer from being stolen than a car sitting on the street is...then YA....duh.
what I mean by targeted is that pro's hit them, you don't hit 7 cars in one lot without an organized setup.

What you are referring to is an incident where gathering with a large group of people puts you at risk because there are so many cars there, when you stop by a hotel and drop your car off unless you're seriously unlucky most thieves aren't going to target your car to strip it. Those 7 cars were most likely parted out or sent on a container to some 3rd world country or other country like russia, china, etc etc for resale.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
67 Posts
I had an 87 GN many years back, it was one of my favorite cars owned. I installed a steel steering column which once it snapped in place the only way to take it off was to grind it off. There were numerous attempt made on that car but no one ever got passed it.

There are lots of effective kill switches out there. I personally recommend the Revelco: Ravelco Anti Theft Device
It requires a plug to start the car and it taps into multiple sources to disable the car plus it's shielded by a steel protector that runs the wires deep behind the dash. The only way a thief is going to start that car is by towing it to a chop shop and spending an entire afternoon cutting the steel protector and reverse engineering all the sources that it taps into. It took 2 guys 4 hours to install one on my Caddy, one of them worked under the dash while the other one worked under the hood.
I had an 87 GN many years back, it was one of my favorite cars owned. I installed a steel steering column which once it snapped in place the only way to take it off was to grind it off. There were numerous attempt made on that car but no one ever got passed it.

There are lots of effective kill switches out there. I personally recommend the Revelco: Ravelco Anti Theft Device
It requires a plug to start the car and it taps into multiple sources to disable the car plus it's shielded by a steel protector that runs the wires deep behind the dash. The only way a thief is going to start that car is by towing it to a chop shop and spending an entire afternoon cutting the steel protector and reverse engineering all the sources that it taps into. It took 2 guys 4 hours to install one on my Caddy, one of them worked under the dash while the other one worked under the hood.
force recon
thank you for the information on the Revelco. I got it installed in both my Hellcat and wife’s Scat Pack. It took the tech about 7 hours to do both cars. I looked for the wiring but he did a really good job hiding it.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
141 Posts
Glad you found my tip useful. It's on my to-do list to add one to the Cat.

For valet parking I find it easier to just leave it plugged in and leave them the key fob. Early on I used to instruct the valet personnel about how to plug it, however as simple as it seems some people just couldn't figure it out.

Anyway congrats, that's money well spent on protecting your rides.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello all,
I seem to be hearing more and more about Hellcats getting stolen......
1) From Rail Yards
2) Dealers when they get a night drop by the carrier
3) When parked in front of people's houses

So...I am wondering just how easy is it to steal one when you don't have the fob/key? I "assumed" these newer cars are harder to steal due to the amount of electronics that runs them (perhaps it makes is easier....?)

Anyone know just how difficult it is to steal one of our cars? What does it actually take to pull it off? Anything we can do to make it tougher...?

Would like your opinions please.

Thanks in advance,

NL
One thing is they boost the FOB signal. I recommend getting the key pouches that block the signal i have link to one i bought. Second they can load it up on a trailer and people these days dont question anyone they mind their business so this can happen in daylight just as easy. If you can a garage will help protect it at night. keeping in view is the best option. Disabling the key less entry helps too, but i know my FOB signal isnt getting them in my car, But i keep an eye on my car every sec . About to get 4 door wide area to park my car inside my home lol.

Killswitches can help
Viper anti theft
Ravelco Anti theft

Dealers should know not to leave these cars outside

61 - 80 of 104 Posts