SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of pulley threads outs there but I just wanted to get some more opinions.

I am looking at these two pulleys and will be pinning my stock lower balancer. I am aware of the decoupling benefits of the hellraiser/Litens, however from the people I have talked to it seems there are reports of these style pulleys coming apart and failing which makes me hesitant to go this route.

Is the risk of the pulley having a potential issue also worth the extra $300+ on top of the Griptec, when people have been running non clutched pulleys for so long?
Is the Griptech worse then metco for not allowing ANY belt slip?

Any insight and comments are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,118 Posts
Griptech for me. That's what I run. The Hellraiser has a less than stellar reviews on reliability.

R.K.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Radride. How long have you been running it, and do you get on the car often?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,469 Posts
There have been some pulley failures on the smaller Hellraiser pullies, mostly the 2.72 version but its really hard to determine if its the pulley itself or the installation. The Hellraiser 2.85 and 3.17 both seem to be reliable. Both will get the job done but the only downside I see with the griptec pulley is the same as the Metco pullies, over time, you will likely develop some snout rattle.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,042 Posts
This is the same as asking Diablo or HPT
For Tuning.
It's not that a Tuner can't Tune both but the Most important thing is to pick a known Tuner with lots of Hellcat "Hemi" experience.
Most of them have preferences.

I have had the Metco upper and ATI lower pully since 2015 They were the 1st of both installed in my HC Charget in 2015 along with my husband @Top Cat and his HC Challenger. We spent months of going to the track 3 Xs a week for R&D & T&T of parts and Diablo Tuning with [email protected]

Another important thing is there will be supporting mods too.

Again I think it's best to also speak to a Tuner.

Linda :)

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the same as asking Diablo or HPT
For Tuning.
It's not that a Tuner can't Tune both but the Most important thing is to pick a known Tuner with lots of Hellcat "Hemi" experience.
Most of them have preferences.

I have had the Metco upper and ATI lower pully since 2015 They were the 1st of both installed in my HC Charget in 2015 along with my husband @Top Cat and his HC Challenger. We spent months of going to the track 3 Xs a week for R&D & T&T of parts and Diablo Tuning with [email protected]

Another important thing is there will be supporting mods too.

Again I think it's best to also speak to a Tuner.

Thanks, Linda.
I actually have spoken to a few very reputable tuners, and I am getting different responses from all of them, which is making it difficult to make a final decision.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,042 Posts
I can only imagine.
I'd pick your Tuner one you feel that you can trust in keeping your car safe.

Most blown motors are usually because someone wants more and the Tuner will be happy to put the engine on the edge and then they say the car is making too much power.
Than you can get all excited about a new motor for all that power.

But my husband always built ahead understanding the strength and safety.

Many ask me why I dont go for more HP.
I Daily Drive every Sunny Day until race season. Then once my car is in race trim.
I leave it that way. It was easy for my husband to change my ultalite Dragradials and Pully down then just add 93. Without him (Rip) that is why I leave it in race trim.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can only imagine.
I'd pick your Tuner one you feel that you can trust in keeping your car safe.

Most blown motors are usually because someone wants more and the Tuner will be happy to put the engine on the edge and then they say the car is making too much power.
Than you can get all excited about a new motor for all that power.

But my husband always built ahead understanding the strength and safety.

Many ask me why I dont go for more HP.
I Daily Drive every Sunny Day until race season. Then once my car is in race trim.
I leave it that way. It was easy for my husband to change my ultalite Dragradials and Pully down then just add 93. Without him (Rip) that is why I leave it in race trim.

Yea I am not interested in pushing the limits with this platform, and think I will stick with the 2.85 upper and stock lower regardless of which pulley I choose.

I wish the decision wasn't so tough lol.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
268 Posts
I don't have a pulley on my car yet, but I do have the ATI 10% lower to put on in the future. I am running 10.4's @ 135 on 100 octane with just a tune from OST DYNO. I am looking to run 10 flat in 1100 da. some day. The NHRA limit is 10.00 @ 135 for a 10AAA street car and I do drive my car an hour to the track. I have a new revision but have not run it yet. It's should pick up on the 60 foot, hopefully into the 1.46 range. Already at the limit of 135 so my next move is to put in the 3.09's I have, to pick up on ET and slow MPH. It's very hot here now and the da is 3500 or more, so no fast runs until Jan, Feb. When it cools off here in Phoenix. If it runs what I hope will be 10.2's, I will put the lower pulley on. Then the 10 flat should be within reach. So to answer your question, I would go with a hellraiser 2.85 and a tune for good gas, better than 93...... Then it's how fast do you want to run, where you go next... 2.85 and a good tune even with 93, if you have DR's you should run 10.1's all day @ sealeavel.... I think the hellraiser is the same design as stock so I would go with it. Just easier on the supercharger, in my opinion. But I think the lower is the best way to go so you don't have to mess with the supercharger at all and you can pin at the same time. I did take the SC off to put the spacers and blanket on, it is a pain if you ask me. Good luck, have fun and be careful...

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have a pulley on my car yet, but I do have the ATI 10% lower to put on in the future. I am running 10.4's @ 135 on 100 octane with just a tune from OST DYNO. I am looking to run 10 flat in 1100 da. some day. The NHRA limit is 10.00 @ 135 for a 10AAA street car and I do drive my car an hour to the track. I have a new revision but have not run it yet. It's should pick up on the 60 foot, hopefully into the 1.46 range. Already at the limit of 135 so my next move is to put in the 3.09's I have, to pick up on ET and slow MPH. It's very hot here now and the da is 3500 or more, so no fast runs until Jan, Feb. When it cools off here in Phoenix. If it runs what I hope will be 10.2's, I will put the lower pulley on. Then the 10 flat should be within reach. So to answer your question, I would go with a hellraiser 2.85 and a tune for good gas, better than 93...... Then it's how fast do you want to run, where you go next... 2.85 and a good tune even with 93, if you have DR's you should run 10.1's all day @ sealeavel.... I think the hellraiser is the same design as stock so I would go with it. Just easier on the supercharger, in my opinion. But I think the lower is the best way to go so you don't have to mess with the supercharger at all and you can pin at the same time. I did take the SC off to put the spacers and blanket on, it is a pain if you ask me. Good luck, have fun and be careful...
Thanks for chiming in, 135trap is moving for just a tune!

I would love a tune for E85 but don't feel like spending for dual pumps or worrying about ethanol content from the pump. Plus I already have my injectors purchased and sitting at home (ID1050x), and don't want to go through the hassle of reselling them. I spoke to a local shop and they said their highest failure rate is from the hellraiser pulleys, and some accounts when they failed it took the blower with them.

I considered also going lower first as well, but heard of the Innovators west and ATI pins breaking from multiple people. That was enough to scare me off, unless others are using another brand pin kit then the ones that come with the lower balancers. Also if I buy a lower and go to sell the car later I figured it would be easier to change back to stock if need be with just an upper pulley if I decide later down the line I wont be keeping the car.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
727 Posts
I would not be afraid of a 2.85 upper with the 10%od ati. I run it on 93 with OST tuning and only run into fuel issues if winter blend fuels are still on the pump in early spring, Im in PA. Octane booster till May or a gallon or two of 110 when i fill up the first couple times.
I thought supercharger removal is so easy on these cars compared to my gt500 or especially the vortech setup on any mustang. Definitely do the spacers to get rid of the crappy factory intake gaskets.
I would not be afraid of metco or griptech pulleys. You will be pulling it apart to either rebuild the snout or port it eventually anyways. Hellraiser pulleys are too expensive, especially if you swap to a 2.72 for the dragstrip.

Reactions: 2dogs1cat

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you use the ATI style pin kit? Where the pins go in vertically as opposed to horizontal? I thought I remember Mike at OST saying that style didn't work for him either, and they still saw signs of spinning.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
727 Posts
I bought a preowned 10%od ati that was already drilled for the bwoody. I actually have both, the ati pin kit and the bwoody pin kit installed.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
727 Posts

Reactions: 2dogs1cat

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There have been some pulley failures on the smaller Hellraiser pullies, mostly the 2.72 version but its really hard to determine if its the pulley itself or the installation. The Hellraiser 2.85 and 3.17 both seem to be reliable. Both will get the job done but the only downside I see with the griptec pulley is the same as the Metco pullies, over time, you will likely develop some snout rattle.
This rattle is just purely NVH, or is it detrimental to the blower/motor?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bit the bullet and went 2.85" GripTec. Hopefully I won't regret it.

I just did not want to take the chance of the Hellraiser having an issue coming apart and causing problems with the blower. I have heard too may horror stories now.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,469 Posts

I just did not want to take the chance of the Hellraiser having an issue coming apart and causing problems with the blower. I have heard too may horror stories now.
Not a bad choice but there's not that many horror stories at all about the Hellraiser pulley and the only one's I've heard of failing are the 2.72 pulley.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
727 Posts

I have never heard a bad thing about the metco or griptech. I think that was a good decision IMHO and you saved $

1 - 20 of 43 Posts