SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A little heat with map gas can be your friend.
I didn't try a heat gun I have because I thought if I heated that rod, expanding it would make it tighter. But if you think heat would help, I would try it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
165 Posts
X2 on the heat. 1500 watt heat gun should work but may need MAP torch.

You can always try a few 100 mph - 0 short stops to create some heat.. ?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
going to try again this weekend. I will try a heat gun, and if that doesn't work, I'll remove the caliper and see if the pads can drop out of the bottom.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
25 Posts
The caliper body is aluminum and the pin is steel: the caliper will expand more than the pin. When I got my Scat Pack with the same brakes, the selling dealer had new brakes installed but didn't clean the pins on reassembly. I had to remove the calipers from the car and pound the pins out on a workbench using similar tools. I used the original bolts to get the pins moving, then replaced them with new ones on reassembly. I can't remember the size, but the local ACE Hardware had the right size and style.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The caliper body is aluminum and the pin is steel: the caliper will expand more than the pin. When I got my Scat Pack with the same brakes, the selling dealer had new brakes installed but didn't clean the pins on reassembly. I had to remove the calipers from the car and pound the pins out on a workbench using similar tools. I used the original bolts to get the pins moving, then replaced them with new ones on reassembly. I can't remember the size, but the local ACE Hardware had the right size and style.
thanks, I gave it another try tonight after work, and as SWETRID had said, when i removed the caliper the pads could slide out.
And luckily the other front did tap out, so i am about to put on the new rotor on the second front wheel and then i"ll close it up and bed in the brakes tmr.
I'm very happy!

I cant remember but can you take caliper off spindle and insert pads from bottom and then install pins?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts