SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Help with hardwiring LED badge to DRL's?

8295 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Ridesguy
Hi, noob to the forums here. Should've signed up 6 months ago when I got her, but didn't of course until I need help.. promise to check regularly after this to help others however I can!

Anyway - got some of those X-Lume LED badges, and have them placed on the grill, however I have had some trouble with the hardwiring. Can anyone tell me which wire I would need to posi-tap in to on the wiring harness to draw power from the DRL's? First I asked a friend of a friend who works at a dealership for a headlamp wiring diagram.. with that I took a volt-meter to confirm. After confirming I posi-tapped in to that wire which I was pulling voltage on with the DRL's on only (white and yellow). The LED's did turn on initially but were very dim, flickering, and most times not even working and the WiFi doesn't work at all on the receiver they're plugged in to. The strange thing... if I hardwire to the battery, they work fine, and WiFi is on, and if I check current draw on the posi-tap, 12.2V. I posi-tap back in to white and yellow wire, turn on DRL's... measure current draw... 12.2V. It's connected. No difference. But for some reason the setup will not work properly when posi-tapped to the wire, only when hardwired to the battery. For now they are hardwired in to the battery as of today, but I do not want to leave them this way as not only do I fear I'll forget to turn them off one day and they'll drain my battery, but I am also not thinking it's a great idea to have that receiver hardwired to the battery as it will be draining it constantly in order to emit a WiFi signal.

So, all that said... anyone had any similar issues, or have any ideas what maybe I'm doing wrong, or a wiring diagram they've found? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the read.

Jared
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
36 Posts
Have you looked at the site? It has a couple install video's there...might help a bit. YouTube has a couple vids as well...

Thanks for the info too!!! I will be ordering mine now!

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
143 Posts
I just installed the Xlume badge today. I tapped into the drivers side headlamp harnesses white with blue tracer. It's for the headlights themselves but worked nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've watched their videos, unfortunately they install on Jeep SRT, which has a different wiring harness than the Charger. Think what I'll end up doing, just for ease and "foolproof-ness" is leave it hardwired in to the battery but change from the current WiFi receiver, using phone app as main controller, to the non-WiFi receiver that uses a remote control. Should eat less power, but plus I wont have to sign in and out of the WiFi every time I want to turn my badges on / off. After just one weekend it's already a nuisance to keep doing so every time I hop in to take a drive. They do look good tho ;)

PRO-TIP ON BADGES FOR 2015+ CHARGERS: There is a reason the X-lume website says the SRT badge is "not for 2015+ Chargers". I got one anyway, thinking I would figure a way.. but with the curved grill on the Charger the SRT badge will NOT sit flush even if you rip off the chrome OED factory badge. It is too thick. So if you are planning on putting the SRT over that factory badge... it will NOT look good. These are thicker than I expected, about an inch thick, and with the curvature of the top grill on the Charger, the SRT badge would be sticking about 3/4 an inch off the top off the grill on each side, would just look bad man.

So, all that said, I had already bought both the SRT and the hellcat logo, I just went with both on the bottom grill, where they pretty well sit completely flush. Pics are below if it helps you decide what maybe you'd want to do. If I could do it over again, don't think I'd do both badges.. costs extra and looks just a bit tacky with dual SRT badges on the front... but not enough that I'm not gonna keep the LED one on there ;)

Also, lastly, I was very surprised to see the LED badges actually washout the DRL's... would not have expected they would be a brighter white than the DRL's.. but see attached pic.. they are. I was planning on using these mainly as white, but it doesn't look good with how big a difference there is between them.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Hood
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Bumper

Hope any / all of this helps in your decision making, or install. Cheers!

Jared

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
977 Posts
You'll never get them to work, on the DRL circuit. Current is strictly limited and won't push much more than the DRL's.

Instead, tap into the side marker, for power.

Hope this helps.

Bob

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
977 Posts
Left DRL positive wire will be WT/YL, Right will be WT/DB
The DRL circuit doesn't have enough juice to drive other lights, due to current limitation and low voltage threshold.

He could use Alfaobd to increase the voltage threshold, but it's a balancing act between overdriving the OEM leds and still not having enough current to sustain additional lights.

This is why I recommended connecting to the side markers.

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.