SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am Just wondering with these cars and tuning if 67-6800 rpm is safe and doable with these hellcat engines and transmission...seems to me this thing just starts to get happy at 6200 and bam the limiter ..i am so used to 7000-8200 rpm v8s and i want to bump this rev limiter up 500 at least ..any info much appreciated

·
Registered
858 Posts
I am Just wondering with these cars and tuning if 67-6800 rpm is safe and doable with these hellcat engines and transmission...seems to me this thing just starts to get happy at 6200 and bam the limiter ..i am so used to 7000-8200 rpm v8s and i want to bump this rev limiter up 500 at least ..any info much appreciated
All depends on the mods you have. A stock engine would probably live higher rpms vs a full modded 900whp engine.

I’ve heard of some going up to 7k but I’d keep it around 6400-6500 max and get a reputable tuner.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
honestly i would be interested in 6800 rpm rev limit and i wonder if with software for the transmission it would be possible to get this transmission to shift at 6600. thats what i want ..if it blows up who cares i build a better mouse trap that can take it .

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
i am so used to 7000-8200 rpm v8s
What were you running in the past at 8200?

In my experience, the most costly HP is at the upper end of the RPM range. If you can make it down low - with compression and boost - you're better off.
For those people looking for every drop of HP, push the band out as far as you can afford to do it, but it gets really expensive.

He11ion is certainly off to a good start with the valve springs, and it is probably the best first step. There is more to making good safe power above 7k where you're going to run into cam, head, intake restrictions...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What were you running in the past at 8200?

In my experience, the most costly HP is at the upper end of the RPM range. If you can make it down low - with compression and boost - you're better off.
For those people looking for every drop of HP, push the band out as far as you can afford to do it, but it gets really expensive.

He11ion is certainly off to a good start with the valve springs, and it is probably the best first step. There is more to making good safe power above 7k where you're going to run into cam, head, intake restrictions...
I had a fully built billet rods and crank forged Blue print and balanced to 9k rpm 281 3v mustang with custom 3v heads like 2400 for rocker arms alone comp custom ground cams and a vortech @ 15psi made 735/595 8200 rpm ..had tremec T56 magnum xl trans with a pst carbon fiber DS and good 8.8 with axles ..fun little car ..like hand Vtec in a v8 from 4200-8200 it was on fire like a 2 stroke

·
Vendor
147 Posts
Our stock engine and stock valvetrain motor is spun to 7,000 and raced every weekend. We probably wouldn't set a customer car up like that unless they knew the risks. This motor has upper and lower pulleys.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I'd be worried about the valve springs and hydraulic roller lifters at any speed above 6500rpms . But that's me. In my cat I plan on a 6500 shift point with a 6700 rpm limit .

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Our stock engine and stock valvetrain motor is spun to 7,000 and raced every weekend. We probably wouldn't set a customer car up like that unless they knew the risks. This motor has upper and lower pulleys.

Agree here.

For those who might be interested rpm is what caused the failure in Cole's car. The only hellcat motor we have had fail. We were shifting it @ 67-6800 and the piston came apart in the wrist pin area. We have pics, finally got it apart. The wrist pin is complete but that area of the piston came apart. Of course it had a couple of seasons of heavy abuse and he was well aware of the risks.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of anyone run one on a dino to see where the hp falls off and what rpm did it stop pulling?

It really depends on the pulley set up. 2.65 upper with a 10 % lower is usually starting to nose over around 6600 rpm. Stock boost IDK.

I have yet to experience valve float on a dyno in a hellcat.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Agree here.

For those who might be interested rpm is what caused the failure in Cole's car. The only hellcat motor we have had fail. We were shifting it @ 67-6800 and the piston came apart in the wrist pin area. We have pics, finally got it apart. The wrist pin is complete but that area of the piston came apart. Of course it had a couple of seasons of heavy abuse and he was well aware of the risks.
Curt,

I read somewhere that the Russians may have visited the FCA motor plant in Mexico, that piston coming apart maybe just the evidence needed, I told you, jeeeze

1 - 20 of 77 Posts