SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I picked up my hellcat last night and I was really looking forward to hearing my $2000 Radio upgrade.
All I can say is it was a waste of money(the hk not the car, OMG LOVE THE CAR), it doesn't sound much different than the non upgraded radio. Sounds tinney, like a soda can, almost no bass. YES I turned up the bass and messed with the treble.
Has anyone else had the same experience?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
339 Posts
well, I picked up my hellcat last night and I was really looking forward to hearing my $2000 Radio upgrade.
All I can say is it was a waste of money(the hk not the car, OMG LOVE THE CAR), it doesn't sound much different than the non upgraded radio. Sounds tinney, like a soda can, almost no bass. YES I turned up the bass and messed with the treble.
Has anyone else had the same experience?
I agree completely. I posted some thoughts (in semi-rant form) in my thread here: The day finally came Took delivery of my Billet Silver Charger tonight. Page 2 SRT Hellcat Forum

I checked for UConnect updates, and it said there wasn't one an update available for my vehicle.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
400 Posts
Odd how they can be so different...my Challenger did NOT need the update and sounds GR8.... My wife cringes when I turn it up only 1/2.
Clean sound lots of volume....can't figure out what the difference could be.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
486 Posts
I have said since 2012 that the HK system was junk IMO. I was kind of actually pissed that I was forced to get it in my Hellcat Challenger. I would much rather of taken a base radio and had them deduct 2k off my price.

My personal opinon though. To each their own.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
339 Posts
Odd how they can be so different...my Challenger did NOT need the update and sounds GR8.... My wife cringes when I turn it up only 1/2.
Clean sound lots of volume....can't figure out what the difference could be.
The subwoofer, and all of the speakers are different between the Challenger and Charger. The Challenger has a real subwoofer, where the spare tire goes. The Charger has a small subwoofer in the deck by the rear seats, similar to the one that came in my '05 300C. The Charger has "green edge" HK speakers all around, and the Challenger has different (not sure which) HK speakers. Like i said in one of my other rants though, the speakers don't appear to be the issue (except for the wimpy sub). The issue seems to be with the amp and/or the sound processing. The speakers themselves sound good (no distortion, good tone, etc.). But the overall sound experience (sound stage, bass response, etc.) is generally poor, IMO.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,464 Posts
With good source audio ours sounds pretty nice at volume 25. Bass set to 8, mid and treble set to 9, surround off and no speed compensated volume. High quality MP3s from iPod seem the best. FM and Satellite the worst and more tinny. Have that on the Challenger too. Challenger seems to have a bit more punch in the bass but the Charger will still shake the side mirrors. :)

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,257 Posts
I have said since 2012 that the HK system was junk IMO. I was kind of actually pissed that I was forced to get it in my Hellcat Challenger. I would much rather of taken a base radio and had them deduct 2k off my price.

My personal opinon though. To each their own.
I agree...how about no radio at all and I will have my own aftermarket put in....but kinda hard to do when everything is integrated into the uconnect. I have a 3K system in my 2010 Tacoma and it can make your ears bleed. Great bass from a 10" sub. I also have a bass nob where I can adjust the bass depending on the song.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,464 Posts
how can we check if flash is needed? My car was built in January. It's fairly loud, but not deafening, was expecting more.
There is a URL to input last 8 of your VIN to see if an update is available but I can't remember what it is. If you go into Settings and System Information and version 14.47.1 is listed you're running the newest already. I think all Chargers will be on that version right now.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Demon
2,594 Posts
In my challenger the bass is wicked, I usually have it turned way down. The volume has been my only complaint but once I downloaded my CD's to a USB it has worked alot better.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,553 Posts
I just got my Challenger on Friday, and the stereo system sounds AWESOME! No complaints, and I've had high-end systems in past cars, I just wish it would go a bit louder, mainly for old school music like Led Zep and Black Sabbath; the modern recordings sound excellent.

·
<Insert witty title here>
Charger SRT Hellcat
510 Posts
We need to differentiate what sounds good to us.

The FM/SXM "Radio" function is atrocious. HD FM stations makes a slight difference, but not much.
Streaming media, i.e. SiriusXM, through Bluetooth sounds great! But if I switch over to the SiriusXM function in the car, it's back to being awful. I haven't tried loading any media on the HDD, but from what I've read on here, it's a non-issue.

Something must be done about the standard FM/SXM "Radio" functions.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
486 Posts
Doesn't make it right. FCA needs to correct this.
They don't necessarily need to make it "right" cause technically speaking it isn't broken. Some love the sound system, others hate it. It comes down to personal opinion.

Now the issue I have is in the Hellcat Challenger I was forced to get it. In my '12 SRT I opted for the base radio and have always been happy enough with it. Hellcat Charger owns that had the option to add or remove the HK system well their decision boiled down to them doing research. The HK system isn't new to these cars and an educated Charger buyer would of had enough research to make an educated decision on whether or not to choose that option.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
250 Posts
Doesn't make it right. FCA needs to correct this.
The issues with the HK system seems to be a near-universal complaint, or at least a very common one. Does FCA have any sort of official channel for owners to send feedback? Just having a bunch of people here commiserate with each other isn't going to move the ball down the field.

I just want to avoid the situation where the owners here all agree it's an issue but the people actually writing the checks to Harmon aren't aware of it!

They don't necessarily need to make it "right" cause technically speaking it isn't broken. Some love the sound system, others hate it. It comes down to personal opinion.
I haven't been following these threads very closely but I saw at least one thread where one of the "no complaints" owners admitted that they only listened to one of the input types that doesn't seem to be problematic.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.