SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Hold or let go?

5K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  GOING TO HELL 19 
#1 ·
2019 Plum crazy HC Charger owner here, love love love the car but cash offers are more than what I paid for it. How high will the madness of used car prices go? And will this limited production color hold its value? Thank for any feed back

#5 ·
The value is that you likely paid very normal pricing for this unit.
I agree, if you are done hellcat'n, sell now.
If you plan to buy another, I would hold onto the car vs buying a newer year car, unless you want something very different, WB, Challenger, etc.

Reactions: Big Swede
#8 ·
I didn't realize that we were mortal enemies....
Best of luck to you.

#7 · (Edited)
I personally dont think the BMW Supra will hold value better than a RE. Hellcats are now cemented in the general public's mind as an icon of muscle. That Supra is awesome but I think the niche group of followers is smaller. I understand there is a passionate following but this new one hasnt been around as long as Hellcats have and so they are currently a new flavor. But given the same amount of time I think they will depreciate as quickly and as much as a RE. Not to mention the whole BMW thing is a complete fail imo. Ruins any appeal at all for me and prob a small percent of people too.

#13 ·
Historically, most Japanese cars don't hold value across the board. There's a few outliers. I just don't think the Supra is one of them. It's not very innovative, it's a BMW clone wearing Japanese body panels. Mostly. So, the question then becomes, is the Z3 going to hold its value? The answer there is a solid no. Where the A91 is rare, it's not much different from the Premium model in terms of performance. It isn't like a base Porsche 911 vs a Turbo S model or a GT3. It will have a premium on price, but collectors don't usually bend over backwards for little things like aero packages.

One other thing to note on value and rare Japanese cars. Even on those with 500 or less examples made, if they're driven, they tank hard. So, if a person wants to buy an A91 and expect it to hold value, it has to sit in the garage. This is where the Hellcat and A91 comparison will deviate. You can still get top dollar for a used, great condition Hellcat with some miles on it. I don't know if that will likely be the same with a Supra. At a glance, the average book value for the premium trim (non launch edition) 2020 Supra is trading between -15,000 - -8000 under its MSRP right now (the higher loss rate is for cars with >20,000 miles, condition outstanding).

#9 ·
I wonder how the electric cars will fare for resale values in 15 or 20 years. I'm guessing the batteries go bad just like any rechargeable battery and need replacement, the motors probably just get swapped out with newer models.
I think we love the combustion engine because there are so many different components on the cars that can be changed out to achieve different parameters based on desired criteria. Ever seen a 68' VW Beetle blow a 20' Porsche Cayenne off the track? We like debating between long and short stroke, which exhaust set up to use. I am trying to figure out if I need a 180 degree Thermostat, wtf a 180 degree thermostat means, will it actually make a difference or I'm just tinkering with my toy. When they go electric I consider changing what? Rims and paint? Maybe the suspension? it feels like these machines that I could alter and play with have now becoming the property of the Geek Squad. Technology and detailing becomes the driving cost difference between manufacturers as they will all offer 1 - 4 engine variants that are relatively the same, the difference between a Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger becomes body style?

#24 ·
I wonder how the electric cars will fare for resale values in 15 or 20 years. I'm guessing the batteries go bad just like any rechargeable battery and need replacement, the motors probably just get swapped out with newer models.
I think we love the combustion engine because there are so many different components on the cars that can be changed out to achieve different parameters based on desired criteria. Ever seen a 68' VW Beetle blow a 20' Porsche Cayenne off the track? We like debating between long and short stroke, which exhaust set up to use. I am trying to figure out if I need a 180 degree Thermostat, wtf a 180 degree thermostat means, will it actually make a difference or I'm just tinkering with my toy. When they go electric I consider changing what? Rims and paint? Maybe the suspension? it feels like these machines that I could alter and play with have now becoming the property of the Geek Squad. Technology and detailing becomes the driving cost difference between manufacturers as they will all offer 1 - 4 engine variants that are relatively the same, the difference between a Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger becomes body style?
As the teslas prove....battery is 1/2 the price of a car, after 10 years when battery is toast.....scrap the car

#10 ·
I don't think your current car, new HC, or new Supra have any particular investment potential or differentiation. All 3 might have a niche appeal in the future but the more sure bet is to view all 3 as depreciating assets that will not then swing into an appreciating phase.
That said, if it's not your only car, and you're not in love with the limited edition PC color, now is a great time to sell, order at 4-5% below invoice, and get a new one in the spring.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the great responses! My PCP HC was momma's daily for the first year now it's my once a week treat, it now has 10,300 miles and I add about 3 miles a week on it maybe, so the mileage will stay low. It is completely stock and in spectacular shape as I hand wash it and keep it protected with meg's synthetic polish. I will hang on to it and continue to enjoy every moment behind the wheel. Thank you All!

#23 ·
You can find all sorts of HC Chargers online from Upper 40's and there are even more Challengers, It's more about the mileage, trim, condition and finding the person who wants that car as opposed to one in a different color or has Carbon Fiber package, etc. Typically, the more time you have before you need to part with it the more likely you'll get a better offer, with a car that's in weeks and months not years. If anyone is offering over MSRP and you owe considerably less than that it may be a good time to sell.

I see these cars maintaining value better than the other mid-grade production vehicles, same for Mustangs and Camaros. In about 10 years all combustion engines will be classics and a pain in the ass to get parts for. Japanese cars may have a following in Japan but in the US maybe less than 1% of "classic" cars is of Japanese make at any car show. No American's dream car has ever been a Camery or Turcel, fine quality vehicles for the price but, eh it's "nice". I thought the Audi S4 was "nice", I thought the Camaro SS Green Flash Edition with 1,800 miles for $40K was "really nice", I LOVE my Charger HC, never felt this way about any car ever.

No NEW car you buy to DRIVE should ever be considered an investment for return. It's like buying land, you spend $50K on a lot 5 years later you sell it for $55K so you made a profit, right? No, you spent about $6K or more on taxes over that period, you also paid interest on the loan, maybe had to pay people to go clear the lot a couple of times a year. You lost $10K and forfeited any in interest you could have been making on that money. Buy a new Aventador and put it on blocks for 10 years and it will probably appreciate, unfortunately you never drove it. Even if I sell my car for more than I bought it for I will still end up in the red, just not as deep as with some other cars.

#26 ·
It may have already been stated as I didn’t read most of this but here in so cal where I live the state charges almost 10% sales tax. DMV isn’t as ridiculous but they get ya too. So if you have to register and pay taxes on cars (which are a expense, not a investment in my eyes) make sure you aren’t forgetting to subtract that outta yer projected profits : )

#29 ·
cars are poor investments period. Even if you can get what you paid for your 19 the 22s are more expensive and theres no power dollars anymore. If you just want to get out from under it its probably a good time to sell but if your replacing it with something similar and you like the one you have id hold on to it.

#34 ·
LOL right? Everyone has their own reasons but for me the only way I'd sell would be to replace it so needless to say my RE won't be going anywhere due to the recent price increases on new ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.