SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to order build and spec out a upcoming model year cat an am a big fan of the hood pins but am worried of them damaging paint after awhile. Any one have experience with hood pins on their car?

·
Banned
448 Posts
Took mine off. I see no point in running them. The cables are PVC coated and eventually will start to wear off with weather and sun. Of course if u drive ur car like a little old lady and never get to any high speeds ur probably ok.

Plus they serve no real purpose cause they dont hold the hood down the latch does. They do look kool tho cant deny that.

If u gonna run them then get the Expel PPF auto scratch repair to protect the paint. New car paint is relatively thin. Get to 120-130 mph and they will start to move around a lot. Some shorten up the cable but not sure how that would improve things never tried.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Took my pins and cables off and only put them on for "hood down" shows. The cables may not scratch the paint, but the dirt or bug debris between the cable and paint will scratch the paint. The other prob I had is that I would forget about pins and go to open hood before removing pins. Not a great thing. They were on car in showroom when I purchased car. If ordering a car, I would skip them.

·
HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,317 Posts
I think if I had them I would remove the cables from the pins and just run them with no cables. The thought of those cables rubbing on my paint would drive me crazy.

Reactions: GR8YTE

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,906 Posts
Looking to order build and spec out a upcoming model year cat an am a big fan of the hood pins but am worried of them damaging paint after awhile. Any one have experience with hood pins on their car?
I had them on my 2020 and in 18,000mi, they did no damage whatsoever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts