SRT Hellcat Forum banner

How do you go about getting a car below invoice

9K views 56 replies 29 participants last post by  Leophay 
#1 ·
Ever since I have started diving deeper in the forum, I have seen so many people get 4% below invoice or 12-15k off of MSRP. How? I have called dealerships and they all don't give me a good deal. I can't buy from Koons since I am in cali and they don't sell here and Mike @ DanCummins no longer works there. Any advice? (Looking for 2021 Charger Hellcat WB)

#2 ·
Prob going to have to travel but it sounds like you know that if you were considering Koons.

#8 · (Edited)
Well, people get under invoice, but the dealership doesn't make most of its money on markups. They get their money on financing, finance related add-ons, document processing fees, trades, etc. So, if you come in under invoice, they're making money on you somewhere else.

Just pay attention during signing. Ask them for the interest rate, look at what the monthly payments total up to and how much the car is at the expected full term of the loan. If you add on things like GAP, tire/wheel packages, etc... it all adds up. They love selling "time of purchase only" extended warranty coverage and GAP plans because most people switch cars in 3 years, so it's like free money for them. They'll lie and tell you that GAP is only available through them, etc... but most insurance companies offer GAP and you can usually get it at a cheaper rate. PLUS, that GAP you buy at the dealership is rolled into the price of the car and is also further adjusted by your interest rate. So, they make LOTS of money off of you on GAP insurance. And lots of people pop on those. It's real easy to get a $60,000 base model Hellcat that will cost you $71,000 after everything is tacked on to it over 7 years. Where you might save $1,000 under MSRP, they take you to the cleaners for an $8,000 Chrysler Capital interest cost, which they get a bonus for.

But, overall dealer income is averaged across a body of sales, not just one. They know that X amount of people will opt for Y options at signing... and they need to get Z % of conversions to meet desired revenue targets. So, while you might come out good if you negotiate well and decline all the incentives and pay cash, well, there's 80 other people who didn't. And, when you tell everyone about the great deal you got, the cycle continues.

#9 ·
You only need GAP if you got screwed on the how much you're financing. As in you owe more than book value.
A ton of people get it for noting. They literally cant use it. If you need GAP then you did something wrong.

Reactions: Hammy
#12 ·
You could try Frederick Scat Pack from NE Ohio. I was going to buy one from him last year at 1% under invoice, but the timing wasn't right for me and the local dealer said he would match it. I just found a place that looks to have awesome prices called Towbin in Las Vegas. Too far away for me, but might look into seeing how much they charge to ship a car out here.

#22 ·
Ever since I have started diving deeper in the forum, I have seen so many people get 4% below invoice or 12-15k off of MSRP. How? I have called dealerships and they all don't give me a good deal. I can't buy from Koons since I am in cali and they don't sell here and Mike @ DanCummins no longer works there. Any advice? (Looking for 2021 Charger Hellcat WB)
[/QUOT

I got my redeye widebody 13k under sticker including rebates in kentucky at tim short. 8 hour drive each way but worth it

#24 ·
The two important things you remember as a buyer is ware the front door is or the door you came in and that they want to sell you a car. Now first thing is talk to a sales manager on the phone and ask if they will deal off the invoice if the answer is yes go in and talk to him who in turn will give you to a salesman to make the deal. If after you get there and they will not show you the invoice that is ware the door comes into play. A LOT OF TIMES JUST GETTING UP AND HEADING TOWARDS IT WILL MAKE THEM CALL YOU BACK BUT I HAVE MADE IT TO MY CAR AND HAD THE SALESMAN RUN OUT. Once you have the invoice you can see the numbers.They are all written out including a ordered car. I have for all my Dodge and Ram buys got the invoice plus half of the holdback and any rebate that were in effect at the time of order.I have done this with 7 cars and trucks .The last buy was the Redeye and that power dollars was a big discount on top of the invoice plus halfback number. I started all of this in 2012 for my wife's 300c until the 19 Redeye. It all started with a phone call to the dealer. With covid things might be a little harder to find that deal but I am sure they can be found.

#25 ·
I agree with this. And I also agree that Covid has thrown a wrench into things. For low volume, highly desirable cars, dealers are getting greedy. Even on used cars (as I mentioned earlier, I traded in a 2018 T/A 392 for 42k and they sold it for 48k as soon as it got out of reclaim. Dealership claimed it spent 20 mins on the lot before someone paid the full price). This is because you can't get Scat Packs, T/As or anything above a basic 5.7L right now in many markets. Heck, even the 5.7s are pretty scarce (only 2 new available in all of Tallahassee, no 392s or Hellcats within 50 miles). Dealers just aren't handing out candy right now.

#31 ·
You know you responded to a year old question…it still applies but I’m pretty sure OP figured something out by now lol.

#30 ·
Here's what I did, I ordered with Dan Cummins a year ago. They gave me 4.5% below invoice and I agreed to do their financing (to help them as well). I made 3 payments then paid my car off. That way, they got their credit for financing & I got my deal. Didn't have to do it that way, but I figured they helped me out, so I'll help them a little.

#32 ·
I made 3 payments then paid my car off. That way, they got their credit for financing & I got my deal. Didn't have to do it that way, but I figured they helped me out, so I'll help them a little.
That's how I do it, too. Gets me from 1K to about 3K off, so well worth the minimal hassle.

Reactions: Mattm400
#33 ·
Yup - you missed the window for a dealer in San Diego who was taking order under invoice.

BTW - don't be afraid with going with Jake. Plus - many distilleries around Paris, KY for your initial break-in on a new Hellcat. ;)

Oh and Jake (aka HellcatJesus), thanks again!!

Reactions: Mattm400
#39 ·
Yup - you missed the window for a dealer in San Diego who was taking order under invoice.

BTW - don't be afraid with going with Jake. Plus - many distilleries around Paris, KY for your initial break-in on a new Hellcat. ;)

Oh and Jake (aka HellcatJesus), thanks again!!
Pedder's not doing that anymore?

#51 ·
$2000 to $2500.

#55 ·
sounds like a lot of goo info here. Just to add in the heat of the market 2021. Ordered my HC from performance deleware. Sticker was a tad over 80k and I paid 75 for it. Flew out there and drove it back they picked me up from the airport 30 minutes away. Top notch service if you ask me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.