SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

How does the car change from 500hp to 707hp?

8536 Views 37 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  KennS
Taking a good friend for a ride yesterday, scared him pretty good! He asked , so how does the motor make 500 and then 707hp. I told him it must be controlled by the computer most likely as the supercharged engine makes power by shoving lots of air down the engine and is not adjustable. Just curious to know the answer.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
215 Posts
Raced a Honda Civic at the track today for fun in Valet Mode. A 17.98 @ 78.6 was not enough for the win :D

That puts the car behind a Jeep Patriot and neck-and-neck with a Prius in the performance stakes!

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
115 Posts
My thought was they were pulling out some of the throttle via the electronic accelerator pedal. Ever notice you can't switch modes with the throttle pedal engaged. Almost like it needs to calibrate or find zero before the output ratio is changed in the pcm. I'm probably wrong just a guess, love to hear from an engineer on exactly how they accomplish this.

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,028 Posts

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,028 Posts

· Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
8,554 Posts
Awww it's ok HUNTER Maybe its cause I have the Fassssster Red Key :p:)

Linda :)

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,028 Posts

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,100 Posts
Thankfully there's no Multuple Displacement System on Hellcats...

using round numbers for simplicity say 6.2L HEMI is 500HP Naturally Aspirated and with approx. 25HP per lb of boost x 11lbs adds additional 275HP..since this supercharger requires approx. 75HP to spin it..netting approx. 700HP

· Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
8,554 Posts
That Bypass blow off valve was Top Cats PITA until it wasn't!!!
Amazing how something so small makes a huge impact!
Linda :)

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,849 Posts
Well that’s good to know. It’s making me lean even more towards an exhaust valve bypass kit. If all eight cylinders are firing, I want that note to be loud through the exhaust. No more “worrying” about weird exhaust notes when cylinders drop out.

· Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I just found an article mentioning an electric bypass for regulating boost. Interesting indeed. I'd like to understand better how that works and taking it a step further, assuming the 6.2l if NA at 9.5 compression makes at least 400hp how does it drop hp to 300 in Valet mode?
I have the 2021 widebody and they told me that in valet mode the engine will only allow 30 hp to be used LMAO I’m not sure if They made an error but I am going to check my book when I get home because even 300 hp is enough for some little idiot that’s parked in the car to think it’s a lot of horsepower. Do you remember when you first got your car that it wouldn’t let you go into race or track mode until you’re past 500 miles? I was still peeling out at stoplights and I had no idea that I wasn’t accessing all the horses. Even though I was very gentle with her. I found it very easy to break the tires loose by accident

21 - 38 of 38 Posts