SRT Hellcat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
151 Posts
Is this real? How is it possible a Mustang GT tuned just for E85 (no other mods) takes on these hellcats 60-130 mph?

I consider the Mustang keeping up as taking the hellcat.

I'm just trying to justify the hellcat's msrp. I honestly think it should start at $50k (and scat should be a little lower). I can justify going from scapack (current car, $43k msrp, got it for ~$37k) to $50-53k, but when everything is said and done you're out the door another $30k... Seems steep when a $35k car can keep up with you with minimal mods/no F/I.

I'm not trying to troll here or anything...I was back and forth on the hellcat a year ago and settled for the scat pack because no dealer wanted to play ball.

The guy in this video literally has only E85 and a tune. If the race was from a dig, I would say OK, the hellcat struggles with traction, but from 60?? I'm very surprised.
You can get a slightly used low mile hellcat for $50k. That’s what I did almost 2 years ago and have been very satisfied ever since and haven’t had any issues. I had a scatpack prior and the difference is night and day.

Here’s another stock hellcat vs a fbo hellcat example

Matt_7 sixty results are interesting, as maybe the Lund tuning making the magic happen.

Regardless, modded vs stock with a warranty. A stang gt will need FI to think about running a tune, upper pulley, tire hellcat from a roll.

Why does ZL1 with the same “magical” A10 on run and 650hp (only about 80lbs heavier than the gt) about even with a Hellcat from a roll and not walk away?

Speaking of the the same Lund e85 tune dude runs with the stock a10 ZL1 too

·
Registered
316 Posts
You can buy a Civic for $2,000.00 add a big turbo and you will be amazed what those little cars can do. Get outta here with that money argument geophb. Rule #1 in racing----E_V_E_R_Y_B_O_D_Y lies on their mods-EVERYBODY. That Mustang with just E-85--lol.. I got a couple of islands I can sell you cheaply...some people have no clue......

This the "big turbo" you speak of?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
6 Posts
I have a 18 cat with a dragpak on it. Rear seat delete, no passenger seat, driveshaft, and M/T tires. Car with me is 4500lbs. No mod's to the engine or trany, except for a tune for 100 octane race gasoline and I run 10.42 @ 135 mph in 1700DA. My new saying is.... HOPE YOUR CAR RUNS AS FAST AS YOUR MOUTH!!!!! Haven't had any E85 Mustangs with a tune come close to running with me. Buy the way I got my 18 new for $60k and have only $5k in everything and I can drive it every day. I had a Sact and theirs NOTHING LIKE A HELLCAT....
Agree 100% - Nothing like a Hellcat. I started with a 392 Charger and loved it and had no desire whatsoever to get a Hellcat, but I always respected them. I really felt like the power wouldn't be that substantially different which is why I never really cared that my 392 wasn't a Hellcat. A couple of years ago, I took my son to Chicago to try out the Extreme Experience. Since I had a 392 and didn't think the Hellcat would be that different of a ride, I chose to drive the Audi while my son decided on the Lambo. Two weeks before the event, I got an email stating they sold the Audi and I needed to pick a different car so I said "what the hell, give me the Hellcat."

Well, within weeks of returning, I bought a Hellcat and then one year later, bout a Hellcat Redeye so that pretty much says it all - nothing like a Hellcat!

·
Registered
In The Market
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
So can we conclude that a 2018+ A10 GT with 3.55 gears and E85 tune can "keep up" with an otherwise stock hellcat?

I'm trying to justify spending an extra $30k.

I love Dodge products and currently in a 392 challenger but again, if $30k more isn't going to put bus lengths on a car that's $30k less, especially since that $30k is supposed to be performance oriented, then it doesn't make much sense to me.

Warranty is great, but if you do any real track driving isn't your warranty is out the window, hellcat or otherwise?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
151 Posts
So can we conclude that a 2018+ A10 GT with 3.55 gears and E85 tune can "keep up" with an otherwise stock hellcat?

I love Dodge products and currently in a 392 challenger but again, if $30k more isn't going to put bus lengths on a car that's $30k less, especially since that $30k is supposed to be performance oriented, then it doesn't make much sense to me.

Warranty is great, but if you do any real track driving isn't your warranty is out the window, hellcat or otherwise?
You sound like you genuinely want to know but you also kinda sound like you’re trolling.
Anyway you can throw a set of drag radials on a stock Hellcat and run low 11’s high 10’s @ 125ish all day in decent conditions and keep your warranty no prob.

Unless you’re comparing a used 18+GT to a brand new Hellcat I don’t see how the gt is 30k cheaper.

You need to go drive both and see which car you like more, as both are great bangs for your buck, especially with a low mile used Hellcat. The power delivery and overall feel are entirely different. I’d also be careful believing what you see on YouTube, people straight up lie. You may end up getting your e85 gt a10 and sit there wondering why are these stock Hellcat gapping me on the highway?!

Btw, I’ve owned 2 coyote gt’s and not biased, both are great platforms for going fast.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
220 Posts

That is your only criteria? The same mustang would beat the 392 for less. Why did you bother buying a 392?

·
Registered
14 Posts

No man my stock hell cat puts 2 car lengths on my friends 18 zo6. My friends zo6 used to put a bus length on my blown ss my blown ss put usually 2 cars on a highly n/a modified mustang with e. And a bus on just one with e and headers. Remember m6 hellcat it’s all about driver skill auto hellcat as long as you are in the correct power band at 3. Your going to roast a stang. I seen 1200 hp supras get annihilated by 600 hp cars. It’s all about driver mod with high hp if you don’t have the seat time or skill you spin or hit the wrong power band you lose. Racing one o one. high hp car is never an auto win

·
Registered
In The Market
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
You sound like you genuinely want to know but you also kinda sound like you’re trolling.
Anyway you can throw a set of drag radials on a stock Hellcat and run low 11’s high 10’s @ 125ish all day in decent conditions and keep your warranty no prob.

Unless you’re comparing a used 18+GT to a brand new Hellcat I don’t see how the gt is 30k cheaper.

You need to go drive both and see which car you like more, as both are great bangs for your buck, especially with a low mile used Hellcat. The power delivery and overall feel are entirely different. I’d also be careful believing what you see on YouTube, people straight up lie. You may end up getting your e85 gt a10 and sit there wondering why are these stock Hellcat gapping me on the highway?!

Btw, I’ve owned 2 coyote gt’s and not biased, both are great platforms for going fast.
I'm not trolling, I was in the market for the hellcat before I got the 392 and still keep an eye out.

I'm here because I wanted to ask actual hellcat owners to get a better sense. Youtube is full of very weird videos.

I enjoy the blower whine on the hellcat and the pick up but I don't want that to get old and after a few months I regret the financial decision when I could have had the "same" performance for much less. If it was $10-15k it would be a no brainer but at around $30k it's a lot of money for me.

That is your only criteria? The same mustang would beat the 392 for less. Why did you bother buying a 392?
I got a 392 because that's not my only criteria. For one, I was able to lease vs buy, and for another I wanted a challenger. I do like the low end torque. And I've had (and still have) my gen1 coyote for 9 years, so I wanted something a little different.

I wanted to get a hellcat vs modding the GT, but when I started seeing these kinds of videos it got me wondering. Granted, a gen3 with a10 is much different than my 6spd gen1.

Also I thought the 392 was really good value for $40k so I went with that. At the time it fit my budget.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Stay with what you can afford and not what you want........
I agree if you have people who depend on you (like I do now, wife and 2 kids).

But, if you dont and you have a steady job, go have fun and make bad choices! Very few times in your life you'll be able to do that and not regret it....

Also, the 392 is easily the best bang for the buck. That's why I bought my Scat. It's for sale now though, because I bought a Hellcat...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
109 Posts
my 2019 redeye, in 500 hp mode, pulls on my friends 2020 mustang gt pp1 m/t in 3rd @ a 50 roll and even more in 2nd @ a 40 roll. That longer rpm band that the mustang has helps it get along but it just can't beat the 500hp mode. I consider myself a great driver and a decent racer, so maybe he just doesn't have the race fortitude I do but nonetheless. And he can't shift anywhere near as quick as my auto can.

He paid about 35k out the door for his mustang about a month ago. I paid close to 82k for my redeye about a year ago.... by the time he can beat my 500hp mode his warranty is gonna be shot and mine will still be active. Then he'll have to spend even more to get to beating the 797hp... all the while my warranty is still good.

almost forgot, his car governs @ about 158.... LOL I've been in faster hondas

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,090 Posts
This is a Hellcat Forum? I'll add to these four pages now. Just how does a GT stack up against a stock Hellcat? Well watch this video from about 2:00 and on, you will get the idea. At two minutes is the first roll from about 60-160mph. Then the unspeakable happens! Hellcat is even better on a certain road course than a GT!! So enough.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
109 Posts
and the widebody would probably gap even more.... mustang gt, the engine that just tried but couldn't keep up...

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
71 Posts
I'm not trolling, I was in the market for the hellcat before I got the 392 and still keep an eye out.

I'm here because I wanted to ask actual hellcat owners to get a better sense. Youtube is full of very weird videos.

I enjoy the blower whine on the hellcat and the pick up but I don't want that to get old and after a few months I regret the financial decision when I could have had the "same" performance for much less. If it was $10-15k it would be a no brainer but at around $30k it's a lot of money for me.

I got a 392 because that's not my only criteria. For one, I was able to lease vs buy, and for another I wanted a challenger. I do like the low end torque. And I've had (and still have) my gen1 coyote for 9 years, so I wanted something a little different.

I wanted to get a hellcat vs modding the GT, but when I started seeing these kinds of videos it got me wondering. Granted, a gen3 with a10 is much different than my 6spd gen1.

Also I thought the 392 was really good value for $40k so I went with that. At the time it fit my budget.
The buyout on my 2018 Charger Hellcat is mid 40’s. Even with a dealer markup you are around $50k about $15k more than your Mustang example. The Hellcat being stock also has two years left on the warranty. The Mustang is a fine car and for little money can be made fast (since the late 80’s that has been the case). Of course living just outside Dearborn (Ford‘s world headquarters), Mustangs are a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is a pretty good shitter read on everyone justifying their car and warranty coming up in a race situation is funny

Fact is if you want to go fast for cheaper get a newer coyote with an auto and slap a turbo on it as midnight has so many going 8’s & 9’s. If you want to still go fast and have something much more special in my worthless opinion go Hellcat

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
This is a Hellcat Forum? I'll add to these four pages now. Just how does a GT stack up against a stock Hellcat? Well watch this video from about 2:00 and on, you will get the idea. At two minutes is the first roll from about 60-160mph. Then the unspeakable happens! Hellcat is even better on a certain road course than a GT!! So enough.

I'm not really clear on which car was the Challenger or what was proven.
The camera car guy was not an expert driver by any means. If he beat anyone, it was one hundred percent the car. Not a negative, just an observation.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,090 Posts
I'm not really clear on which car was the Challenger or what was proven.
The camera car guy was not an expert driver by any means. If he beat anyone, it was one hundred percent the car. Not a negative, just an observation.
You think he was not talented enough to drive up a 1/2 mile straight correctly rowing his gears? The '15 Jazz blue Challenger had stock motor, pcm etc. After the warmup lap (first full run down the straight) you did not see the obvious difference between the two in acceleration?

61 - 80 of 102 Posts