SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to run the HC to 200. I have access to a runway that is 4130' long. Is that enough room to get to 200 and stop it? I can do a rolling start off the taxi way.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,163 Posts
when they did the 200 mile per hour test on a 13 gt500 they spent hours checking everything on the car for issues....it was all done professionally.....by just going out and going 198mph if 1 tiny thing is wrong with your car your dead

ive done 140mph a few times......id stick to 140mph or less.....trying for 198 is a future story to tell, but realize your risking your life more than you may think...i dont have that much faith in the whole assembly process

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply huggytree but I'm not worried about the top speed. Solid car and have been almost that fast on my motorcycle. If I had no more faith in my car than you do, I wouldn't drive it at all!

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,661 Posts
i dont have that much faith in the Mexicans that assembled parts of my car and the Canadians smoking dope and assembling the car on a friday when they are in a hurry to get home

Damn. I am by no means Ms. Politically Correct, but ... wow. That is rude and offensive ... especially when we have people that assembled these cars that are on this forum. This is not the first time you have been insulting for no reason towards the factory workers that built these cars, why are you gunning for them? If you have such disdain for their work, why did you buy one of the cars they made? Did I freaking miss something?

April

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
282 Posts
I also do not get the anti blue collar worker comments that you make Huggy. Lighten up!

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,925 Posts
If you watch some video's of events like the Texas mile you will realize how much pavement you need, the 200mph club is a special accomplishment with cars running more hp than the cats.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,854 Posts
Yes, it was stated in some video interview... About 4 miles was needed. Pretty sure hardly anyone will ever see 200 in this car stock
So I want to run the HC to 200. I have access to a runway that is 4130' long. Is that enough room to get to 200 and stop it? I can do a rolling start off the taxi way.
Yea from the engineer who tested it himself and said they got it to 196 in 2 miles but needed another 2 miles to get 204

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
162 Posts
Thanks for the reply huggytree but I'm not worried about the top speed. Solid car and have been almost that fast on my motorcycle. If I had no more faith in my car than you do, I wouldn't drive it at all!
That's pretty exciting, I say go for it but you'll need to find a longer runway of two or more miles and that's just to get up near there, you'll also need some stopping and safety distance and I'd mark that clearly with a flag. If I recall hitting 200mph in the Challenger will require perfect conditions including wind, elevation, humidity but you should be able to get pretty close if you can find a place to do it.

The Hellcat might be the only car I ever own that I won't push to/beyond the limits. This is a scary beast. If you're intent on this however make sure your tires are in excellent condition. Having had front tires blow out at highway speeds I'd say a tire issue is your biggest worry at >100mph.
And good luck!!!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
162 Posts
Yea from the engineer who tested it himself and said they got it to 196 in 2 miles but needed another 2 miles to get 204
Ah there we go. I knew I'd read something like that but couldn't find it. This is the kind of thing people talk about doing at Bonneville salt flats where they set the land speed record. I think I'd only trust a paved surface.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,338 Posts
This a basic question, and no one can answer correcty until you know how quick you will get to 200mph. If it takes you 3 seconds like a top fuel car you can do it in a quarter mile if it takes 30 seconds you'll need alot more room. Until all information is known no one can anwer. You guys should have learn this before now.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
162 Posts
Jim, this could only be represented by a graph showing speed vs acceleration curve. Maybe someone with a logger will get this data at some point.

As mentioned by B5 Blue the last 20mph and especially the last 5-10mph the rate of acceleration over distance travelled is minimal thus requiring a LOT more room than a drag strip. We know the cars get to around 130mph in 1/4 mile but if it takes at least another 1.75 miles to reach 196mph.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,338 Posts
Jim, this could only be represented by a graph showing speed vs acceleration curve. Maybe someone with a logger will get this data at some point.

As mentioned by B5 Blue the last 20mph and especially the last 5-10mph the rate of acceleration over distance travelled is minimal thus requiring a LOT more room than a drag strip. We know the cars get to around 130mph in 1/4 mile but if it takes at least another 1.75 miles to reach 196mph.
No kidding did you read my post??

·
Have Guns Will Travel
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye - 2015 Challenger Hellcat
6,650 Posts
Interesting discussion.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.