SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen posts online that changing the trans fluid (drain and fill) is fairly complicated - involving jacking the car level, going into drive & reverse, etc. Some posters have said they're hesitant to do it because it costs so much and because they worry the mechanic will screw something up.

On the flip side, people on the car track day forums I frequent suggest doing rear diff fluid, trans fluid, brake fluid, and coolant annually just to make sure the car is ready for the harshness of track driving.

All that other stuff is pretty easy to do. But I wonder if anyone tracking their Hellcat had some advice on how they manage their transmission fluid.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,461 Posts
There is a section in the owners manual for guidelines for track use. Might want to look it over to see if there is any schedule service recommendation for a tracked vehicle.

Didn't track my Hellcat.

But absent something from Dodge I'd offer how often to do a fluid service depends somewhat on how often you track. If you frequent the track during the track season I'd say the fluid service should be done at least once a year -- at the start of the track season.

As an aside I'd show up at the track with fresh engine oil and freshly bled brakes every time.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,551 Posts
I have never changed it in 5 seasons.
I have flushed my coolant once and now run a higher percentage water in it for better heat transfer.
I have changed out my diff fluid once so far and will do it again for this season.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
895 Posts
Is the go-to diff fluid that stuff they sell here like 80W-140 or something?

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,790 Posts
Is the go-to diff fluid that stuff they sell here like 80W-140 or something?
75W-85 Mopar

I personally use Amsoil 75W-90 SVG and the 4oz bottle of Mopar Additive

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,551 Posts
I just use the Mopar fluid with the slip additive.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I have never changed it in 5 seasons.
I have flushed my coolant once and now run a higher percentage water in it for better heat transfer.
I have changed out my diff fluid once so far and will do it again for this season.
Have not tracked a car with an automatic. Did some auto-crossing some years back in a car equipped with a manual transmission. Auto-crossing is not nearly as "hard" on a car as running it on a closed track.

Given the complexity of an automatic, especially the one in the Hellcat, and its (I assume) high cost to replace, I'd be a bit OCD and fluid service it more often.

I would hate to have to rely upon having the same good luck (so far) you have enjoyed.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,551 Posts
Have not tracked a car with an automatic. Did some auto-crossing some years back in a car equipped with a manual transmission. Auto-crossing is not nearly as "hard" on a car as running it on a closed track.

Given the complexity of an automatic, especially the one in the Hellcat, and its (I assume) high cost to replace, I'd be a bit OCD and fluid service it more often.

I would hate to have to rely upon having the same good luck (so far) you have enjoyed.
There is actually no service interval in the manual for the auto trans. There is for the manual trans.
I really have nothing to go on. Thus the reason for this thread I suppose.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
There is actually no service interval in the manual for the auto trans. There is for the manual trans.
I really have nothing to go on. Thus the reason for this thread I suppose.
While I have not owned automatic equipped cars -- until my 2018 Hellcat -- the owners manual of my manual transmission equipped cars had of course a section on automatic transmission sevicing and the service mileage for the automatic equipped cars ranged from 60K miles to 90K miles.

Or for a good mileage to change the automatic transmission fluid go by the manual transmission fluid service mileage.

Or chose a mileage. A case could be made to have it done early while still under factory warranty to provide some protection in case the dealer screws up the fluid service. It is a sad state of affairs when car makers offer in this case transmissions that one has to be concerned dealers may not be capable of servicing correctly.

·
Registered
In The Market
1,318 Posts
There isn’t a dealer around I’d trust to do this properly. Watch it go up and down on the lift with a door open etc. No way. if mine ever has to go to a dealer (like Takata - no choice) it will not leave my sight.

·
Registered
In The Market
1,318 Posts
If I was Jeanne-Pierre Chianti Cabernet or whoever that Frenchman is who runs the place now, the first thing I’d do is evaluate the dealer network. And probably fire 2/3rds of them. Incompetent morons. Shame we owners have to put up with them just to get a car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts