SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
'22 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I took the air filter off and cannot get it to attach back on to the rubber intake tube no matter how I try. There's a metal air-con line just behind where the tube meets the airbox that seems to prevent the tube from lining up properly with the hole that the air filter fits through, stopping them from joining up. Is there some trick to it? Does anyone have a video? Nothing applicable on YouTube... :mad:

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

• Haha
Reactions: Redeye_eh

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,882 Posts
I’ll try to help. You must be talking about the boot and the throttle body extension? If so it IS a PIA. Try to install the bottom first and make sure it is really over the steel and then work it around carefully until it is all happy.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll try to help. You must be talking about the boot and the throttle body extension? If so it IS a PIA. Try to install the bottom first and make sure it is really over the steel and then work it around carefully until it is all happy.
So attach it to the air filter first and then to the throttle body? I've been doing the reverse...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
171 Posts
So I took the air filter off and cannot get it to attach back on to the rubber intake tube no matter how I try. There's a metal air-con line just behind where the tube meets the airbox that seems to prevent the tube from lining up properly with the hole that the air filter fits through, stopping them from joining up. Is there some trick to it? Does anyone have a video? Nothing applicable on YouTube... :mad:

Thanks,

Rob
Can you post a picture of what you're talking about?

Do you mean you're having trouble getting the top of the CAI box, the lid, back on and aligned right? If so, then my struggles typically were because I wasn't seating the lid down properly; the tabs on the back have to go fully into the slots.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you post a picture of what you're talking about?

Do you mean you're having trouble getting the top of the CAI box, the lid, back on and aligned right? If so, then my struggles typically were because I wasn't seating the lid down properly; the tabs on the back have to go fully into the slots.
No. 2019s and up have an open airbox design like the Demon's. I'm talking about having trouble aligning the air filer connector to the rubber intake tube.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,882 Posts
So attach it to the air filter first and then to the throttle body? I've been doing the reverse...
So I do agree we may need a pic, but hope not.

You have discovered the three screws to remove the air filter itself without taking off the entire air box and sleeve to the throttle body?

If so, then the couple of times I had to remove that boot I remember it was a pain, but I sure would not want to attach the whole enchilada at once. So let’s backup as suggested above and maybe see what we are taking about for sure because you can do this.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may be confused here, but I thought the air filter has three torx screws that hold it in place.
It does. But that's not my issue. The problem I'm having is aligning the rubber intake tube to slip on the air filter connector. They do not want to line up.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I do agree we may need a pic, but hope not.

You have discovered the three screws to remove the air filter itself without taking off the entire air box and sleeve to the throttle body?

If so, then the couple of times I had to remove that boot I remember it was a pain, but I sure would not want to attach the whole enchilada at once. So let’s backup as suggested above and maybe see what we are taking about for sure because you can do this.
It wouldn't be possible to photograph what's happening. Basically, when I place the air filter in the airbox with the connection end going through the hole in the box, there seems to be no way to attach the rubber intake tube to to the filter because a metal air conditioning line is in the way.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,338 Posts

Thanks,

Rob
It's best to loosen the Boot Clamp next to the airbox, then remove the screws for the airbox cover and remove the cover.

Start the snorkel end into the boot, reinstall the airbox cover with screws and then adjust the boot as required and tighten the Boot Clamp.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's best to loosen the Boot Clamp next to the airbox, then remove the screws for the airbox cover and remove the cover.

Start the snorkel end into the boot, reinstall the airbox cover with screws and then adjust the boot as required and tighten the Boot Clamp.
Thanks, but that's not applicable to 2019's and up, as they have an open design air box with a conical filter, not the closed box design of earlier Hellcats and Redeye. This is what my setup looks like:

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Grille

My problem is connecting the rubber intake tube to the filter through the hole in the airbox. There is a metal air conditioning line (seen just above the coolant overflow tank cap) that is in close proximity and deforms the side of the intake tube when I try to attach it. Since the tube is no longer round because of the deflection from the air con line, it cannot slip on to the round air filter connector. There must be a trick to doing it that is super easy, but I swear it's eluding me. I've struggled for hours to slip the tube on so I can secure it with the band clamp...

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,882 Posts
^ @Blickie has a good explanation.

Dude the AC line in the way and no pic possible is throwing me now. I am about done with lunch, will check back, but lots of good folks are watching I am sure so we can get that Hellcat back on the road.

I need to change mine out this weekend to my alternate air filter. Maybe I’ll make a video, but I have never had a horrible trouble like that.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,882 Posts
Thanks, but that's not applicable to 2019's and up, as they have an open design air box with a conical filter, not the closed box design of earlier Hellcats and Redeye. This is what my setup looks like:

View attachment 600744

My problem is connecting the rubber intake tube to the filter through the hole in the airbox. There is a metal air conditioning line (seen just above the coolant overflow tank cap) that is in close proximity and deforms the side of the intake tube when I try to attach it. Since the tube is no longer round because of the deflection from the air con line, it cannot slip on to the round air filter connector. There must be a trick to doing it that is super easy, but I swear it's eluding me. I've struggled for hours to slip the tube on so I can secure it with the band clamp...
If you don’t have it solved by about 6pm, I’ll be home and need to look at what your talking about. There is a solution here. Something is out of place in a minor way for some reason.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you don’t have it solved by about 6pm, I’ll be home and need to look at what your talking about. There is a solution here. Something is out of place in a minor way for some reason.
I'm going to give it another try in a few hours. See my above post with the picture. My explanation of the trouble I'm having is better there.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,882 Posts
I'm going to give it another try in a few hours. See my above post with the picture. My explanation of the trouble I'm having is better there.
I saw it, that is why I want to go look at mine if necessary for you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw it, that is why I want to go look at mine if necessary for you.
Appreciate it, brother. Will report back if I managed to do it in a few hours. Unbelievable that it could be this difficult. Been wrenching on cars for forty years and never encountered something this hard to do on a common maintenance part...

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,882 Posts
Appreciate it, brother. Will report back if I managed to do it in a few hours. Unbelievable that it could be this difficult. Been wrenching on cars for forty years and never encountered something this hard to do on a common maintenance part...
When I saw that, I knew you could do this. I’ll check back later.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
THE ABSOLUTE WORST DESIGN OF ANY AIRBOX I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED.

• Haha
Reactions: snobrdrdan
1 - 20 of 35 Posts