SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,075 Posts
OK now I'm thoroughly entertained at your expense. Honestly I feel bad but your situation is absolutely mimicking my entire life so I can relate completely. Your last post has me laughing, you're me right now lol. Bad place to be but now I know I'm not alone lol.

Reactions: Taxinator and RobF

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,664 Posts
Heh, yeah, I had similar issues with mine... that's what prompted me to order a JLT replacement. You have to wiggle it on, just so, and I used a thin screwdriver to pry the filter over the lip of the tube. Took entirely too long. I did it once and said never again.

Reactions: RobF

·
HOTM Winner
12,075 Posts
Heh, yeah, I had similar issues with mine... that's what prompted me to order a JLT replacement. You have to wiggle it on, just so, and I used a thin screwdriver to pry the filter over the lip of the tube. Took entirely too long. I did it once and said never again.
Too logical, not enough frustration, and overall no fun that way. OP's last post is pure gold, all in caps is the icing on the cake. Brother from another mother, I swear.

• Love

·
Premium Member
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
3,182 Posts
When I cleaned mine I took out the torx screws and it was a huge PITA to get it all back in. Now I think it doesn't need to be cleaned all that often.

·
Registered
'22 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
When I cleaned mine I took out the torx screws and it was a huge PITA to get it all back in. Now I think it doesn't need to be cleaned all that often.
The insanity of a design that makes you struggle to mount a friggin' air filter for hours is simply breathtaking. Getting the tube on was horrific, but once you do and think you're in the home stretch, you get to struggle to align the filter for another hour to get all the screws to seat in. I've rebuilt Jeep diffs, installed cams and replaced shifters by myself. ALL WITH LESS DIFFICULTY.

F you Dodge.

·
HOTM Winner
12,075 Posts
The insanity of a design that makes you struggle to mount a friggin' air filter for hours is simply breathtaking. Getting the tube on was horrific, but once you do and think you're in the home stretch, you get to struggle to align the filter for another hour to get all the screws to seat in. I've rebuilt Jeep diffs, installed cams and replaced shifters by myself. ALL WITH LESS DIFFICULTY.

F you Dodge.
Ur killn me over here

• Haha

·
HOTM Winner
12,075 Posts
A sick part of me is hoping you never figure this out. One post a day is all I need 🤣

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
A sick part of me is hoping you never figure this out. One post a day is all I need 🤣
Well, I finally got the intake tube on last night, and tonight will try and get the screws in. You may or may not get another post full of invective and a Santeria voodoo curse cast on Dodge later. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had the same experience and had to take mine to Dodge to get them to complete the install (changed to the Demon Air Grabber), and when they were done they said they couldn’t get all three screws in so they left one in my cup holder. Must have been a graduate engineer on the design team for the 2019+ models.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I had the same experience and had to take mine to Dodge to get them to complete the install (changed to the Demon Air Grabber), and when they were done they said they couldn’t get all three screws in so they left one in my cup holder. Must have been a graduate engineer on the design team for the 2019+ models.
it’s unbelievable how unnecessarily complex the assembly is. Why on earth make it that way when there are so many simple ways to mount an air filter?! Crazy!

·
Registered
2022 Frostbite SS Ordered 03/24/22, DELIVERED 08/12/2022
514 Posts
it’s unbelievable how unnecessarily complex the assembly is. Why on earth make it that way when there are so many simple ways to mount an air filter?! Crazy!
As stated above…..car engineers! They have nothing better to do but make our lives miserable! Just be happy you don’t have to work with them everyday:ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
As stated above…..car engineers! They have nothing better to do but make our lives miserable! Just be happy you don’t have to work with them everyday:ROFLMAO::rolleyes:
Six and a half hours to install an air filter. SIX. AND. ONE HALF. HOURS.

• Wow
Reactions: Slowpoke387

·
Registered
310 Posts
Six and a half hours to install an air filter. SIX. AND. ONE HALF. HOURS.
Safe to assume you’ll be posting a How to video on YouTube?

Man I feel your pain! As an engineer working on ICE like Diesel I can assure you not everyone is like that!

I did have my fair share of “discussions” with that kind of engineers who would argue with my that their design was perfect… 😒 When they really screwed up I would ask them to come to the lab and I personally ask them to go on and fit their newly designed and “perfect” part… LOL the harness design team was usually the most stubborn of all until they had to fit it and then shove their foot in their mouth 😂😎

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had no idea that so many people had issues changing these filters, I have had mine off a few times and have no issues reinstalling it, I might have gotten lucky the first time and I just continued with the same process every time.

This is the order I do it in without issue: loosen connectors on both sides of the rubber tube so that it can be moved out of the way, install the filter in the box and install the screws, place the rubber tube back onto the air filter (that is already fastened to the box) and throttle body, push the rubber tube against the filter and tighten the clamp, and lastly, push the rubber tube fully onto the throttle body and tighten the clamp. There can be a bit of fiddling around to get the rubber tube onto throttle body but it shouldn't be too difficult.

It sounds like you tried adding the screws to the filter after installing the rubber tube, I could see this make things difficult as there won't be much room to get tools in to tighten the screws and the filter would be loose while trying to install the rubber tube, it is much easier with the filter secured.

I hope this helps if you decide to tackle the filter change again.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts