SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Hellcat
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to the forum and I just bought my 16 HC about a week ago. After looking under the car, to my surprise, I have a DSS driveshaft. My question is, by looking at the rear differential, is there a way to tell if it still has the 2.62 or a 3.09? Maybe a serial # on it? Thank you in advance fit your help.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,061 Posts
I’m new to the forum and I just bought my 16 HC about a week ago. After looking under the car, to my surprise, I have a DSS driveshaft. My question is, by looking at the rear differential, is there a way to tell if it still has the 2.62 or a 3.09? Maybe a serial # on it? Thank you in advance fit your help.
If I'm not mistaken the 3.09:1 was not offered as a factory option until 2018. So it would have to have been added. Not sure if the designation is stamped or cast into the housing.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,146 Posts
There's a label with the part and ratio on the top, don't know but maybe you could position your phone to get a picture of the label.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
There's a label with the part and ratio on the top, don't know but maybe you could position your phone to get a picture of the label.

Or maybe a dental/inspection mirror if you have one.

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Hellcat
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll go ahead and try. One other thing...I just wanna make sure that I’m looking at this correctly. Here is a picture of the driveshaft connected to the rear differential. This is an upgraded driveshaft, right? From looking at it, it’s an aluminum tube and it’s one piece. Looking at pictures online of the OEM driveshaft, it’s black and 2 pieces, correct?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
That looks to be a DSS driveshaft by the label and the details. Here's a link for more info:

Is you HC an A8 or M6? You could tell which rear gear you have by the cruising RPM if the transmission hasn't had the ratios changed (which is pretty unlikely).

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Hellcat
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A8 transmission. What is the normal cruising rpm in 8th gear compared to a 3.09 differential?

·
Registered
2020 SRT SUPER STOCK HELLRAISIN
3,681 Posts
Just like the old days. Pull the emergency release under the coin holder in the console with the engine off. Jack up the rear. Turn one tire. If the other tire turns the same direction then it is a positraction, limited slip or similar Diff. Now put a chalk mark at 6 o clock on one back tire. Turn the tire one full revolution and count how many times the driveshaft turns.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,146 Posts
A8 transmission. What is the normal cruising rpm in 8th gear compared to a 3.09 differential?
80 mph with a 2.62 is about 1700 rpm, with a 3. 09 you'd be 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,146 Posts
@Slidd: Does it matter whether I’m in track or eco mode?
Would not matter in any mode except Track since that should prevent you getting to 8th, in the other modes it will go to 8th gear.

Reactions: dragrcr

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
1,004 Posts
Or maybe a dental/inspection mirror if you have one.
Like they said...the label is on top of the differential, and facing the underside of the body, but it's clearly labeled. Use a mirror and you should be able to see it

It'll say 2.62 LSD or 3.09 LSD.....the one below in the pic shows 3.09 LSD & shows the location:

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Hellcat
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It’s been a couple of days since I’ve driven the car. But I decided to take the car out for short cruise. I remembered what @Slidd said about the difference in the rpm. 2.62 about 1700rpm and 3.09 about 2000pm at 80mph. As I got to 80mph I saw that the rpm was at about 1700rpm, for sure below 2000rpm. Could my mechanic have counted incorrectly the driveshaft revolutions? I did have them check, with an inspection mirror, the labels on the under carriage side, but the stickers had come off.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
It’s been a couple of days since I’ve driven the car. But I decided to take the car out for short cruise. I remembered what @Slidd said about the difference in the rpm. 2.62 about 1700rpm and 3.09 about 2000pm at 80mph. As I got to 80mph I saw that the rpm was at about 1700rpm, for sure below 2000rpm. Could my mechanic have counted incorrectly the driveshaft revolutions? I did have them check, with an inspection mirror, the labels on the under carriage side, but the stickers had come off.
Momma always said mechanics are like a box of chocolates. Ya never know whatchya guna get...

Reactions: snobrdrdan
1 - 16 of 16 Posts