SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PARTS:
  • Oil - 6 quarts
    • 6 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra 0W40 motor oil or other approved oil (refer to owners manual for recommended oil spec)
  • Oil Filter, one of the following:
    • Mopar Performance SRT filter 5038041AA
    • OEM Mopar filter is part number 04884899AB
    • Aftermarket filter of your choice (too many to list)
TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS:
Both engine drain and oil cooler drain should be torqued to 20 lb. ft. You are screwing into aluminum with a steel plug. DON'T over torque these fasteners and cause problems.

TOOLS:

• 13 mm 3/8" drive socket (oil pan drain plug bolt)
  • 15 mm 3/8" drive socket (oil cooler drain bolt)
  • 7 mm 1/4" drive socket (5 small screws in front of belly pan)
  • 10 mm 1/4" drive socket (4 larger screws in middle and rear of belly pan)
  • Plastic clip fastener removal tool. A needle nose plier and/or small flat blade screw driver are a good substitute here but having the proper tool will save time and frustration.
  • Oil filter wrench
  • 1/4" driver (ratchet is fine as a substitute but be careful not to over torque these fasteners. They are only 4mm)
  • 3/8" ratchet
  • 3/8" drive torque wrench
  • Drain pans (TWO are required if you want to drain both cooler, engine and filter all at once - unless you have a really big pan)
  • A method to get under your car to perform the work (jacks and stands, ramps, pit, lift etc.)

COMMENTS:

• The engine oil capacity is listed as 6 quarts. A few people on the forum have stated that they needed 6.5 quarts to get to the full line. I let oil pan , cooler and oil filter drain for about hour. I also blew some shop air into the oil cooler drain with all the drains out to get additional oil out. I primed my filter with oil on the bench, installed the filter and plugs and filled with a total of 6 quarts. Started the engine, ran for about two minutes, checked for leaks and then waited about 10 minutes to check oil level. Six quarts put me right at the full level. I checked again the following morning on a stone cold engine and got the same reading. Make sure you read the stick from the cross hatch side not the part number side (you will know what I mean when you pull the stick). Don't overfill or you will create other problems (foaming oil, blowing seals etc).
  • There is nothing particularly hard here BUT the oil change is a more time consuming than some cars and the belly pan removal and replacement is just a bit of a pain (not hard just time consuming)
  • When removing and installing the oil cooler drain plug use a second wrench to support the oil cooler line where the plug screws in (it's a rectangular block of aluminum). Put a wrench on the block so you aren't twisting and pulling the fragile aluminum line or the oil cooler. Nothing supports this and you can easily break the line and/or connection to the oil cooler.
PROCEDURE:

1. It is recommended that you change the oil with the engine at operating temperature.
  2. Remove the two belly pans. You will need 7mm socket, 10mm socket and the clip removal tool or a suitable substitute. I suggest removing the clips before the screws. There are 19 fasteners (5 screws with a 7mm head, 4 bolts with a 10mm head, and 10 clips. The green tape in the picture below marks each fastener that needs to be removed.

3. Remove oil cooler drain and drain oil into a suitable container

4. Remove engine oil pan drain plug and oil filter and drain into a suitable container

5. Let oil cooler, engine and filter drain completely... Clean drain plugs, area around drain plug threads and oil filter mounting base. Make sure the old oil filter gasket came off with the filter. Now is a good time to prime new filter with motor oil and lubricate the filter gasket with clean motor oil.
  6. Install new filter and torque 3/4 to 1 full turn after gasket touches mounting flange. Reinstall the two drain plugs. The plug with the 13mm head is the oil pan plug. The plug with the 15mm head is the oil cooler drain. When removing and installing the oil cooler plug make sure to use a second wrench to support the oil cooler drain. You don't want to twist the aluminum cooler lines or break them off where they attach to the cooler.

7. Start car and run for a few minutes. Rev engine up to about 2500 RPM or so a few times. Shutdown and check for leaks.
  8. Reinstall both belly pans and all fasteners
  9. Dispose of the waste oil properly.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
230 Posts
Do you recommend buying new drain plugs? Do you have part numbers for those in case someone wants a spare? Sometimes the gaskets erode and a new one is required.

I am getting ready for oil change number 1, so I am assuming there are gaskets on the plugs.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
121 Posts
Do you recommend buying new drain plugs? Do you have part numbers for those in case someone wants a spare? Sometimes the gaskets erode and a new one is required.

I am getting ready for oil change number 1, so I am assuming there are gaskets on the plugs.
Well...since you’re going be down there... I would replace (as I did) both drain plugs with the super magnetic type... I decided on the Dimple brand of magnetic drain plugs...the owner of the company is a real hoot to talk to(a real car guy)...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
230 Posts
Well...since you’re going be down there... I would replace (as I did) both drain plugs with the super magnetic type... I decided on the Dimple brand of magnetic drain plugs...the owner of the company is a real hoot to talk to(a real car guy)...
Great call. Does there site have an easy way to find a compatible one, or do we need to know our drain plugs specs? I can go look it up, not being lazy, but this is for future reference if any other forum members come across this.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
121 Posts
Great call. Does there site have an easy way to find a compatible one, or do we need to know our drain plugs specs? I can go look it up, not being lazy, but this is for future reference if any other forum members come across this.
Yes...he has his products on multiple outlets...or google magnetic oil drain plugs for other options...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts