SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rubber intake tube (between the airbox and throttle body) has a white-ish powdery layer that's EXTREMELY hard to remove. I also found the (same?) stuff INSIDE the tube when I removed my air filter for cleaning. The throttle body itself looks clean.

I've tried: wiping it with a dry towel (this got some of it out), and brushing with water/dishsoap (didn't help much)

Anyone know how to get rid of this? Is it bloom, or could it be something else? Should I be worried? Can post pictures if needed.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
184 Posts
It's not a "plasticizer", wrong term. Many plastics have a lubricant package in its formula to help with release from the mold. It can leach to the surface over time. Perfectly normal even if not visually desirable. Heat makes it speed up the process of coming to the surface. Radiator and heater hoses do it too, most rubber (TPE and TPV) molded parts that are a hose have it to some degree.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,396 Posts
My rubber intake tube (between the airbox and throttle body) has a white-ish powdery layer that's EXTREMELY hard to remove. I also found the (same?) stuff INSIDE the tube when I removed my air filter for cleaning. The throttle body itself looks clean.

I've tried: wiping it with a dry towel (this got some of it out), and brushing with water/dishsoap (didn't help much)

Anyone know how to get rid of this? Is it bloom, or could it be something else? Should I be worried? Can post pictures if needed.
Nothing to be worried about unless you are OCD out the wazoo. I'd leave it alone, especially inside the air intake. Get a piece of something in the combustion chamber and between a valve and its valve seat and you could end up with a burned valve.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
722 Posts
I took mine off, cleaned with Dawn, and wiped down with rubber protectant.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
220 Posts
It's being described as rubber bloom, the same term used when tires turn brown or rust colored. I wonder if a good tire gel would work?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Indigo Blue with Graphics Package
1,239 Posts
Any thing used on your tires can be used on it. I had the same issue, hit it with some tire shine and it looked good as new again..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts