SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I know many of us have been trying to figure out how to match as closely as possible the factory Hyper Black wheel color. Well, I want to share my journey and project with those wondering the same thing. Hopefully it saves the next person a ton of money & time.

So I ordered 2 Factory Reproduction wheels in 20x10.5 for the rear of my 2016 Charger SRT. I have the factory Hyper Black and love that color. However, its not a color offered in the aftermarket so I got Satin Black.
1.jpg 2.jpg

I spent several weeks ordering samples from Prismatic Powders since they only send you up to 5 at a time, which usually means 3 since they don't always have every color in stock that you ask for. So I thought I had a close color match and I added a tinted clear over it so its a 2-step process which costs a little more since they are essentially powder coating the wheel twice. This is how it came back. Its a nice dark grey with a slight metallic in it but way too dark for me. One of the pictures is lighter than the other, but it is the darker color that it looks like in normal lighting.
3.jpg 4.jpg

We both learned a lot because apparently, the clear added an effect neither of us expected based on the color swatch. Look at this sample of a different color swatch and the metal sample with a clear over the top. The clear creates a sparkle that's not in the base color by itself. If you want to clear coat your wheels, keep this in mind.
5.jpg

So, at this point, I basically pissed away a ton of money we started over. We ordered 2 different sample colors and tested them on angle iron before applying to the wheels for round 2. What you see next is the sample color I chose based on the 2 finalists. Its Ultra Charcoal PMB 5531.
11.jpg

This particular color was a glossy color which wouldn't require a gloss coat which is cheaper to apply since its a 1-step process. I was a little gun shy about adding the Tinted Clear over it as I would now be $1,300 into these 2 wheels without the added step of the Tinted Clear. Plus there was the un-known if any sparkle would appear like on the last color.

They say its the 15 foot test that counts. If it looks good from 15 feet away, then its a success. While the final color is slightly lighter than the factory Hyper Black, I think it passes the 15 foot test very well and I am very happy with the way they turned out. Now that being said, they did offer to examine the wheel afterwards and if I wanted to apply the Tinted Clear, we could have always added it at that time (before mounting tires of course). While I was curious to see what it would look like, after spending $1,300 by this point, I wasn't that curious as I liked them as they were. So my recommendation to anyone following this path is to shoot a sample of the Ultra Charcoal with & without the Tinted Clear before you begin. If you choose it with the Tinted Clear, please post pics because I'm really curious to see how that would have turn out. The next time I get tires I could always add it. Not 1 person has noticed that the rears aren't the same color as the fronts, unless I point it out to them.

I live in Porter Ranch, CA and chose a powder coat company near me that was a pleasure to work with. I interviewed 2 companies before choosing them. I highly recommend these guys if you are in the area. Ask for Lance Yee. He cares about getting it right for you.

Cali Paint Co.
27740 Ave. Hopkins
Valencia CA 91355
(661) 360-8433
calipaint.com

So take a look at these pics to see for the final product yourself.
6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Couldn't figure out how to get images to show up. Tried for over an hour. LMK if the links don't work.

Moderator, please move this thread to Wheel & Tires section.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
503 Posts
I like the color too. I have a nick in one wheel that needs cosmetic repair and matching the color is a worry of mine. I can see it now. "Sure. We can match that!" Then if I disagree with the painter/ coater... conflict.

I'd like to just buy one factory painted, like new wheel to avoid a hassle.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A factory Hyper Black wheel goes for $500-700(ea). For that kind of money, you can buy 2 Factory Repros in 20x10.5 for $450, then powder coat them for ~$275. Mine cost more because of the trial & error process.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
138 Posts
Thank You Very much for sharing this and for doing the experiment!

Your wheels turned out Fantastic!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
503 Posts
Last time I checked a couple of years ago Steve White Motors was selling them on sale for $1,800 as opposed to over 2,000. I hope you are right and wheel price has dropped. I wonder what the OEM 5 spoke wheels run.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The prices I quotes are for used wheels. They are $2,000 each new.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
23 Posts
Sure wish I would of seen this thread before I went thru the same process! I bought 4 demon clones from Performance Plus Tire, Came only in matte black, went to powder coater and tried to get the hyper black, he just showed me the Prismatic website and said good luck. I wound up going with "Mega Grey" as he said any coatings that say chrome or have clearcoat he has had trouble with UV. It appears the sun protection isn't as good in the formulas.
I don't have the rims on the car yet (going to happen this weekend I hope.) I'll post when done. for now this is all you get, see attached.
I'm running a staggered setup, 20 x 10.5 rears with 20 x 9 fronts, by the way I paid $779.00 including Gorilla lugnuts shipped to my door.
I paid $350 for stripping with new paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
1,670 Posts
OP those look great! Think I'd go for a set of 4 made to order on those and be happy as a clam.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
54 Posts
Well done, OP. Thank you for your research and contribution.

If you want photos to appear in the thread, this is the method I use.

Go to https://imgbb.com and make an account (free). Upload your photos. Hover over the photos, find and click "embed codes", then click the drop down box and select "BBcode Full".

Copy and paste the URL and voila!

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
117 Posts
OP, thank you for the details and the final product looks great. I'll definitely look into this soon and the company is very close to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts