SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have always wondered; when you have a problem at high speeds or conditions like WOT 2-3 or 3-4 shifts, what does the service department really do to diagnose it? Would they really take it out and try to duplicate the condition?

Any thoughts or actual experiences??
Thanks
NL

·
Registered
312 Posts
You could leave the car completely on their hands and yes, they would need to drive it to asses the problem. You could arrange an appointment and the tech could ride with you for the same purpose. He could drive it with you as a passenger too. They need to replicate the problem, no other way around it.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,013 Posts
Most dealerships will not break the law to road test a customer’s vehicle

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most dealerships will not break the law to road test a customer’s vehicle
I would agree and add put the mechanics health at risk.

SO, when we buy these high performance cars and they malfunction, how do we get the manufacturer to make good on the warranty?

seems like a real dilemma to me...

NL

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
794 Posts
Hi all,
I have always wondered; when you have a problem at high speeds or conditions like WOT 2-3 or 3-4 shifts, what does the service department really do to diagnose it? Would they really take it out and try to duplicate the condition?

Thanks
NL
There are Service Manual Pressure Testing Procedures they can perform, but it might help if you describe exactly what your WOT upshifting concerns actually are or experiencing.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
895 Posts
They mainly only diagnose electronically. I have taken a technician for a ride to show them the problems.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,461 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks
NL
Have owned a number of "high" performance cars over the years. Not too many problems but all that happened were evident from the CEL or other things. No need to break any laws to manifest the symptoms. Often the tech didn't even need to drive the car the diagnose was made in the service bay.

The Hellcat manifested a noisy diff after some miles (>10K), but at "high" speed, above the legal limit. I knew from talking to various techs no way would they drive the car in such a way to confirm the noise.

Decided to just let the diff progress to the point it was clear at a lower/legal speed it was bad. As it turned out I had to replace both rear tires at 13K miles. One tire got a puncture. After with new tires the diff noise was gone. That horrible "diff noise" was tire noise. Amazingly bad and I have put hundreds of thousands of miles on other cars fitted with high performance tires and I thought I "knew" tire noise but the Hellcat was at a whole 'nother level of tire noise.

·
Registered
In The Market
1,318 Posts
Drive yourself. Demonstrate the problem. You as the owner knows how and when it happens. The safety of the tech thing is a little overrated. Conditions.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
308 Posts
You think more service centers would invest in dyno's to replicate WOT problems. I know they're expensive and take up valuable SC floor space, but the other alternative would be for them to send out your car to a speed shop. And maybe that's what they do? A service center conceivably could have a partnership with a speed shop to use their dyno for a reduced rate, or more a more practical solution would be to have a speed shop send out a mobile dyno when needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts