SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here's the background story: I've been wanting to buy a full-size spare for a while but it's proven difficult considering a single wheel rarely comes up for sale.

So the other day, I came across this in the local classifieds:
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Product Auto part

So, I make arrangements to pick it up this weekend:
Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel Rim

Is this the 2018 Nano-steel wheel?
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Alloy wheel Rim

It's a little dirty, but it appears brand new. Curiously, there's a metal wire around one of the lug holes. The yellow & blue strip is still there:
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire
Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Tread Auto part

It's weighted and still has the "Peel here" sticker:
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Rim
Infrastructure Wheel Tree Tire Architecture

There are some minor scratches, which leads me to think that this was dismounted due to the cosmetic defects. But other than that, all looks well - both wheel and tire:
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Spoke Wheel

Here are all the inside markings for you gurus to decipher (for some reason the angle is not uploading correctly - sorry):

Tire is a 2017:
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Grass Rim
Tire Wheel Automotive wheel system Auto part Rim
Automotive wheel system Rim Wheel
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Logo

Gave it a good cleaning. This will go in the trunk on longer trips for peace of mind.

Reactions: ScatSRT

·
HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
11,544 Posts
I think thats a stock 2017 wheel. Pretty sure the 18's wouldnt be around yet. Are any 18's deliVered yet?

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think thats a stock 2017 wheel. Pretty sure the 18's wouldnt be around yet. Are any 18's deliVered yet?
Not yet which is the perplexing part. The 2017 wheel has a very evident flat black finish and this is anything but. So I'm quite confused too to be honest. Hence all the pictures here, hoping our resident experts can chime in.

·
HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
11,544 Posts
Not yet which is the perplexing part. The 2017 wheel has a very evident flat black finish and this is anything but. So I'm quite confused too to be honest. Hence all the pictures here, hoping our resident experts can chime in.
Agreed. Color looks like the new one. Wonder if these were offered this year on another SRT vehicle. Other than Hellcats. Might have to expand the search.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
879 Posts
I believe the numbers on the 2017 end in MAA, whereas this one ends in MAB. So I'm not sure what to make of it. But great find at a great price, if you ask me!

Frank

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the numbers on the 2017 end in MAA, whereas this one ends in MAB. So I'm not sure what to make of it. But great find at a great price, if you ask me!

Frank
Thanks for the insight. I paid the asking price as I didn't want to lose out to a potentially higher offer. And that's CAD btw. A new standalone tire from Costco is $300 + tax. :D

Reactions: terryturner

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,613 Posts
Hmmm. Maybe repainted? Or you're not too far from brampton. Maybe this is an employees idea of supplemental income?? At that price I'm leaning towards the later.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. Maybe repainted? Or you're not too far from brampton. Maybe this is an employees idea of supplemental income?? At that price I'm leaning towards the later.
I did consider that point. Brampton is still part of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA for short). Guy did say he works in Brampton in our email exchanges.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a known Nano Steel wheel ..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Looks like a close match to mine. Hmm... Intriguing.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've seen a 2018 Challenger R/T on a lot in
Toronto area a week ago so they are being delivered .
So maybe a dealer take-off due to cosmetic defects.

·
Registered
2021 Trackhawk, sold/missed Charger SRT Hellcat
263 Posts
So what is the fine for receiving stolen property in Canada? :D
haha j/k but that ones hot outta Brampton.
Great buy though.
-J

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
194 Posts
wow, made in Norway? Seriously?

Somebody help me find out where the factory is, would be a cool place to track down.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reactions: Drivin' Wheel

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whatever it is it's a great buy,I just paid $700 for a OEM Hellcat wheel sans tire and was happy to find one.
Agreed. It's tough to find one regardless of price. Are you using yours as a full-size spare?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9 Posts
Agreed. It's tough to find one regardless of price. Are you using yours as a full-size spare?
No I had the right front catch a severe case of curb rash,I will use some JB weld to salvage it and keep as emergency backup.You aren't kidding about them being hard to find,I got mine from a wrecked Cat on the East Coast and I live in California.I just couldn't put a aftermarket wheel on ,beside I don't really trust them at high speeds.You sure we're lucky to find the one you got at the price you paid.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No I had the right front catch a severe case of curb rash,I will use some JB weld to salvage it and keep as emergency backup.You aren't kidding about them being hard to find,I got mine from a wrecked Cat on the East Coast and I live in California.I just couldn't put a aftermarket wheel on ,beside I don't really trust them at high speeds.You sure we're lucky to find the one you got at the price you paid.
I had a similar story with my driver's side front wheel. Ripped the sidewall too, which resulted in me being stranded and towed back to the dealer for repair$ and a replacement wheel. :eek:

I fought hard to get my broken wheel back, which I did and had it repaired. Was going to mount a new tire on that but then I chanced upon this one. So my repaired wheel is now an expensive display piece in my room. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts