SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My car is a 2015 SRT 392. It is a daily driver even in the snow belt. I'm under 30K miles. I was changing out my snow tires. I had the car up on one side at a time. Then after the wheels are off i use a Dremel tool wire brush to clean out the built up rust that forms in the rotor slots from the salt on the roads.
With the car on the 2 left side wheels I put the car in the "ON" position but not running. I turned the steering wheel so I could get access to the inside of the rotors. Then did the other side.
Now my car which used to drive perfectly straight is pulling left. Does this make sense it was that easy to kill the alignment? Did I do any damage to the steering system because I turned the wheel without the car running but only on 2 side wheels? I hate having others work on my car but I don't have the equipment for alignment. :(

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
344 Posts
Did you change them, or just rotate them? It's unclear. If you did either, cross rotate the front tires and see if it goes straight or pulls in the opposite direction. This will rule out or confirm a possible radial tire pull.

Reactions: WVHEMIS

·
Registered
28 Posts
My first thought would be the tires you put on - properly balanced with even wear and no flat spots?

However, while one side was up (meaning the other side now had double the static load on the wheels at a strange angle) and no engine running, you forced the wheel to turn... Ugh, that just doesn't seem good.

* Added * What power steering system does your '15 392 have?
  • fully hydraulic (belt driven pump behind intake tube w/ fluid reservoir near the coolant reservoir)
  • electro-hydraulic (combined pump and reservoir above passenger side of the rack/below washer bottle)
  • fully electric (metal unit mounted across the top of the rack)
Gotta say, that's the first I've ever heard of someone trying to clean inside the rotor vanes! I just scratch off the wheel and hub mating surfaces and call it good for wheel swaps. For any superficial rotor surface rust either dry them thoroughly after washing or just drive & brake to scrape it off. Oh, and a hefty dousing of Salt-Away all over the undercarriage post winter.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,380 Posts
First you must be sure the tires are properly inflated. And if the tires are unidirectional they are mounted in the right direction.

There is the possibility that with the car's weight being supported by just 2 of the 4 tires/wheels when you turned the steering wheel this subjected the steering linkage to forces which may have caused the alignment to change.

If tire pressures are ok, if the tires are properly mounted and facing in the right direction, I think an alignment check is called for.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
853 Posts
In ‘15, I think it has to be a fully hydraulic system, so no the best thing to have done. But, with 30,000 on it and in the snow belt (pot holes), it is probably due for an alignment, anyway.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,877 Posts
There is the possibility that with the car's weight being supported by just 2 of the 4 tires/wheels when you turned the steering wheel this subjected the steering linkage to forces which may have caused the alignment to change.
It's not that I've tried to get up on two wheels, but when going through curves at the limit of adhesion I'd think there are larger forces at work than when one side is statically loaded at a minimal angle. Much larger forces.

Although, without the power steering working, in theory I suppose that the small torsion sensing things in the box/rack got tweaked.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was changing out snow tires for summer tires. It was driving straight before I seemed to mess it up. I'm not sure what type of steering I have.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
344 Posts
I was changing out snow tires for summer tires. It was driving straight before I seemed to mess it up. I'm not sure what type of steering I have.
Put the snow tires back on and see if it pulls. At least on the front. Or just cross rotate the front tires. Easiest way to tell.

·
Registered
2017 Daytona 392
89 Posts
Snow tires with their "squishy" compound can mask alignment issues too.

+1 for verify pressures and swap fronts, then alignment if that doesn't change anything.

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,380 Posts
It's not that I've tried to get up on two wheels, but when going through curves at the limit of adhesion I'd think there are larger forces at work than when one side is statically loaded at a minimal angle. Much larger forces.

Although, without the power steering working, in theory I suppose that the small torsion sensing things in the box/rack got tweaked.
My impression was you had the car jacked up on one side with the other side - the tires -- on the ground then turned the steering wheel. In this case this can be similar to trying to turn the wheels with one up against a curb and something can possibly bend or the steering rack drive system can get out of whack. Cars fitted with the electric power steering feature appear to be more sensitive to large forces against the front tire/wheel to the point -- my info is -- this can require the steering rack to be replaced.

While I would of course not expect any type of driving on pavement subjecting the steering hardware to enough load to affect the steering hardware and alignment what you did may have resulted in sufficient force to do just that.

I still say absent incorrect tire pressures or possibly a unidirectional tire mounted the wrong way or if the tires you fitted were not previously known to be good an alignment check I think is called for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts