SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started the Hellcat and it looked like a giant vape machine. Vapor coming out of both pipes, I could not describe the smell of the exhaust at first, then I figured it out, it smells like burned coolant. The engine ran a little rough, I drove it a little and it cleared up, the engine light came on for a few minutes then turned off as the engine warmed up. Next, the dash read ''I/C Coolant Low''.
At first I was thinking blown head gaskets. But that's not it is it? Is my supercharger coolant leaking into the motor?
Anybody know what this is?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9,998 Posts
That sounds very bad,,,, I wouldn't drive it anymore, and take it tto the dealer,, How many miles

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
351 Posts
Air charge cooler leaking into engine. Not the end of the world but you don't want to hydro lock the engine. have it towed to the dealer & do not drive.

Reactions: WVHEMIS

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
303 Posts
I had to have the radiator in min changed out at the dealership after 6 months of ownership with a leak. All covered under warranty. My brother in law has a 15' scat pack that had to have the same thing done to it after 4 months of ownership. Bad batch of radiators? I don't know

·
Yep, its got a HEMI
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,193 Posts
Don't drive or start it, tow to dealer.
If you have some time there was a bunch of threads on that type of problem. It will get fixed just a minor set back.
read up but I am guessing the dealer will have it fixed before you figure out what the problem is.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,743 Posts
There have been a few here report this problem. As stated above, it is the air fuel cooling loop leaking into the engine. Do not drive. Dodge will replace entire supercharger assembly. Sorry to here the news that you are one of the unlucky ones.:(

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,743 Posts
BTW, when did you take delivery? Someone here is keeping track of major issues like this.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,379 Posts
Bummer open case asap with srt. Let them direct you to dealer get the free tow and so it's tied to the dealer ticket.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took delivery in early April, just bumped past 900 miles.
This gets me a new Supercharger???
Thanks for the comments and the info!!!

·
Comfortably Numb
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,254 Posts
I took delivery in early April, just bumped past 900 miles.
This gets me a new Supercharger???
Thanks for the comments and the info!!!
i believe one or two got a new engine after one of the intercoolers leaked into a cylinder

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,371 Posts
Do NOT have it towed... A Hellcat MUST be put on a flatbed truck... No tow trucks!!!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a big 10-4 on the no tow!!!
The dealer I bought the car from has a mechanic that I've gotten to know pretty well. I think this guy is very good, I trust him with my car.
Can you guys explain what you think went wrong on my car? I hear the leaky radiator thing, but I don't understand how that would get coolant into the blower.
Is there a water jacket around the blower? Is it like a blown head gasket?

·
Comfortably Numb
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,254 Posts
That's a big 10-4 on the no tow!!!
The dealer I bought the car from has a mechanic that I've gotten to know pretty well. I think this guy is very good, I trust him with my car.
Can you guys explain what you think went wrong on my car? I hear the leaky radiator thing, but I don't understand how that would get coolant into the blower.
Is there a water jacket around the blower? Is it like a blown head gasket?
there are two rectangular intercoolers inside the blower.. these are mini radiators on a separate low temp cooling system... some start leaking and when they do they leak directly into one or more cylinders... your left rear (looking at engine) overflow tank is for the intercooler... right overflow tank is normal engine overflow coolant

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,869 Posts
dont drive anymore....tow it

had a toyota years ago where the coolant filled up a cylinder and locked up the engine...

·
Have Guns Will Travel
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye - 2015 Challenger Hellcat
6,014 Posts
Flat bed to dealer ASAP. Do not start or drive.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Flat bed.....I got it!!!!
No hook!!!!!!!!!
Anybody got pictures of the parts that probably went bad???
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
As much as I feel good about the guy that will work on my Hellcat, I hate the idea that my car will potentially be apart and at the dealership for some period of time.......As in too long.
NO ! ! ! I'm not a control freak, I just know what I like.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They got it apart....Right side inner cooler was the leaker. They will install 2 new inner coolers and put her back together.
Parts should arrive Monday..............

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,765 Posts
Glad to hear they got to root cause and progress is being made on getting the car running again!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts