SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Vendor
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In an earlier thread (https://www.hellcat.org/threads/intake-spacers.221725/), a number of people were inquiring about spacer plates for the Hellcat blower similar to those being run on the LS platform.

At the time of the original thread, I wasn't at liberty to give out specific info, though I knew a set of plates was in the works. Those are now available and in stock. One of the first kits -- spacers, longer SC bolts, and thermal blanket -- is boxed up and will ship to me Monday, along with the first plug-and-play Hellcat interchiller setups. (Forced Induction Interchillers). The company making them is Forced Induction Interchillers out of Australia.

Because some people in that earlier thread expressed skepticism, let me just go over what the performance claims are on these plates. Obviously, the ostensible benefit to a spacer plate is that it removes the SC from sitting atop the cylinder head as a heat source, which blocks radiant engine heat from entering the belly of the blower. A thermal blanket is then used to deflect even more heat. On the LS platform, which FI Interchiller has been making spacers for for years, they typically see a 20-degree temperature reduction and about 20 WHP gains. They expect to see similar results for our blower.

To me, though, the ancillary benefits are even more intriguing (and potentially impactful). First, the OEM intake gasket lacks at least one metal contact point, creating a potential for boost leak. What FI did was essentially re-design the intake gasket altogether. In addition to the increase in thickness in mm, they closed off the opening to the oil gallery that FCA carried over from the NA engine. So no blow by oil into the crank case or blower. Secondly, they corrected the potential for boost leak by using a pair of double-sided custom o-rings to seal the plates to the cylinder head, with an extra custom o-ring preventing anything getting into the oil gallery.

-- Which is to say, they re-designed the intake gasket and improved it.

The spacer material is not the phenolic type. Instead, it's made from a strong composite, material sourced from Germany. The plates come with a lifetime warranty.

Thirdly, the spacers keep cylinder head heat from heat soaking the MAP / IAT sensor. This will allow the sensor to read truer to temp, which in turn will allow tuners to be more efficient in their tunes, as they won't have to pull as much timing. And of course, as the end user, we'll actually have a better idea about what the actual IATs are when we're running.

One thing to consider: though on their test with a Trackhawk running a 2.75" upper they didn't need to swap belts, there IS the chance that you may need a slightly larger belt to run the spacers. It really is going to be a case by case basis, depending on the slack you have.

As I noted above, I'll be the first Hellcat in the states to have these in hand, so I'll be able to do some Dyno testing with them. I'll test them after install and then with the appropriate adjustment to the tune. I'll log IAT temps and film some video.

A lot of you have reached out to me through PM, so I figured I'd just put all the info here in one place. More info and video on the plates can be found here: Hellcat Blower Spacer Plates | FI Interchillers

I've been something of a Guinea pig for the Hellcat interchiller kit and spacer setup, and I'm going to continue to work with FI to provide them a plumbing and hose / fitting diagram specific to the Hellcat for the interchiller. This will, I promise, save those of you interested in a system a LOT of time and effort in putting together your own system. FI is now fabricating a sensor relocation piece that makes the chiller plug and play with the Hellcat.

If you are interested in these plates, just mention my name to Kirk (either Jeff G or Kowalski's Ghost will do) and he'll look after you on pricing.

If you have any other questions I may not have covered here and I can be of some help, don't hesitate to PM me.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,539 Posts
I'll be watching

·
Vendor
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope to do a baseline dyno, then a dyno with the spacers. After that, dyno with the interchiller / tank setup, and finally, get a dyno once the tune has been re-calibrated for the new truer temps.

·
Vendor
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,652 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,215 Posts
To be clear, they didn’t do anything with the head gaskets, only the intake gaskets - correct? I think I read head gaskets a few times, but nobody is taking the heads off to do intake spacers.

·
HOTM Winner
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,495 Posts
I hope to do a baseline dyno, then a dyno with the spacers. After that, dyno with the interchiller / tank setup, and finally, get a dyno once the tune has been re-calibrated for the new truer temps.
Waiting to see your results, very interesting !!
GL.

·
HOTM Winner
3,495 Posts
I like this idea, I'm in on a pair of these if Dyno results look good.

OP, I'm guessing your gonna be in cool or cold conditions if you do Dyno anytime soon ?
The real test mite be in hotter temps to see what kinda temps change on non interchiller setup ?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
713 Posts
Curious... Question may be it’s a dumb one .. If you run a spacer your injectors sit higher now will that be an issue with spraying fuel now further away and cause to burn differently ?

·
HOTM Winner
3,495 Posts
Curious... Question may be it’s a dumb one .. If you run a spacer your injectors sit higher now will that be an issue with spraying fuel now further away and cause to burn differently ?
^^^ Good question ?
Belt length issues ?
Will hood close ok ?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
30 Posts
I was told the spacers are only half an inch. I believe the fuel rails are not affected since the spacer is between the blower and the head intake. You could get a slightly longer belt or just hope the tensioner would make up the difference.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
73 Posts
Well I am going to give them a whirl, see how it shakes out. should put me >800rwhp.
along with demon injectors and a 100mm tb.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
949 Posts
After the last 3 nights of going over this, I will be very interested. I have another idea that would be 1/2 the work with close to same out come. Didn't know why I did not see this till this morning. Looking forward to the data and costing.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
492 Posts
Wonder if there will also be a lid spacer made available and would the volumetric eff increase or not combined with a larger t/b. In theory there would be slightly more space to accomidate pre charge air and flow additional cfm. Also would legmaker custom make a chill coil impregnated intake tube that could plug and play integrate to a chiller system? I know someone that would send them a drawing. Would be really interested to see how DA would be affected and what the benefits would be if any... James

·
Vendor
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
QUICK UPDATE: Just saw notice that FI has extended the pre-order sale on the spacer plates / thermal blanket / longer SC bolts through Tuesday. They'll typically sell for $600 AUS; selling through Tuesday for $550 AUS. FYI.

That's probably right around $400 or so in US dollars.

Remember to mention my name.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
492 Posts
QUICK UPDATE: Just saw notice that FI has extended the pre-order sale on the spacer plates / thermal blanket / longer SC bolts through Tuesday. They'll typically sell for $600 AUS; selling through Tuesday for $550. FYI.
Looks like I could have saved a little if I waited a little longer on pre ordering. That's a very fair price for product they are offering

·
Vendor
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like I could have saved a little if I waited a little longer on pre ordering. That's a very fair price for product they are offering
If you wind up with interest in an interchiller system, just mention that I recommended them. Or let me know, and I'll reach out. They'll take care of you.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts