SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this posted on Yahoo!, and it says that Hellcat engines don't meet emissions standards for next year. What does this mean for our beloved cars? Emissions standards on SUV's could be treated differently from cars, but I personally doubt it matters much. Whatever the case, speculate fellas!

"Building additional SRT Hellcats is not as simple as it sounds. Dodge said it can only manufacture the model for about six months because the Jefferson North assembly plant on the outskirts of Detroit, Michigan, is busy retooling for production of the next-generation Jeep Grand Cherokee, and because the Hellcat-powered Durango doesn't comply with the emissions regulations scheduled to come into effect nationwide for the 2022 model year. "

Dodge extends Durango SRT Hellcat production by popular demand (yahoo.com)

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,861 Posts
Not the last year. That’s only the Durango.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
1,325 Posts
The Hellcat-powered Durango doesn't comply with the 2022 emission regulations for the SUV-Class. This have no effect for the 2022 Challenger and Charger models, so there are no engine changes for them in 2022, until the complete refresh slated for 2023. I found this:
2022 Dodge Challenger: Preview, Pricing, Release Date

2022 Dodge Challenger Price, Review, Ratings and Pictures | CarIndigo.com

https://fcajeep.com/2022-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat/
Then why do they keep claiming they aren't making a Manual version of the Challenger to order?

They claim emissions, last time I looked under my car I don't recall seeing my exhaust and transmission fused together in any way...

I think they're just claiming emissions issues, and letting that be an excuse that no one can argue since the EPA bows to no one.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
298 Posts
They didn’t claim that yet. In fact dodge cares just replied that they are planning on opening order banks for manual hellcats end of second quarter.

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
Then why do they keep claiming they aren't making a Manual version of the Challenger to order?

They claim emissions, last time I looked under my car I don't recall seeing my exhaust and transmission fused together in any way...

I think they're just claiming emissions issues, and letting that be an excuse that no one can argue since the EPA bows to no one.
Where does it say that? I havent seen a release stating that. It’s just a late production.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,146 Posts
Why would Hellcat engines suddenly not meet emissions? What changes have their been to cause this? All these rags spout this with no evidence of anything. It's all bs imho.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would Hellcat engines suddenly not meet emissions? What changes have their been to cause this? All these rags spout this with no evidence of anything. It's all bs imho.

Automakers have to improve their fleets fuel efficiency every year by 1.5%. Every year that passes makes it harder for Dodge to meet fleet efficiency as long as Hellcats are around. If Dodge came out with an electric eco line they could probably prolong the life of the gas guzzlers.

Federal Vehicle Standards | Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (c2es.org)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Hellcat-powered Durango doesn't comply with the 2022 emission regulations for the SUV-Class. This have no effect for the 2022 Challenger and Charger models, so there are no engine changes for them in 2022, until the complete refresh slated for 2023. I found this:
2022 Dodge Challenger: Preview, Pricing, Release Date

2022 Dodge Challenger Price, Review, Ratings and Pictures | CarIndigo.com

https://fcajeep.com/2022-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat/
Would you care to explain what exactly it doesn't pass? Cars have a lower threshold for emissions than an SUV does, so I don't quite get a grip on why this is.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
2,067 Posts
Would you care to explain what exactly it doesn't pass? Cars have a lower threshold for emissions than an SUV does, so I don't quite get a grip on why this is.
IIRC it's actually an evaporative emissions thing, so it's associated with the chassis moreso than the engine.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger HC 6M
228 Posts
Sorry, had a couple adult beverages, but if the US was so concerned about fossil fuel emissions, than why do we continue to provide aid and support to those very countries who are generally the worst offenders? Let’s hold the same exact standard for anything imported. Would the current admin levy an extra import tax on products made from dirty China plants?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry, had a couple adult beverages, but if the US was so concerned about fossil fuel emissions, than why do we continue to provide aid and support to those very countries who are generally the worst offenders? Let’s hold the same exact standard for anything imported. Would the current admin levy an extra import tax on products made from dirty China plants?
Well said, I am tired of this BS over fossil fuels , climate change is the natural cycle of the earth , for so many hundreds of of years it gets warmer and then gets colder for serval hindered years. The earth has been doing that long before gas powered cars arrived.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
220 Posts
Well said, I am tired of this BS over fossil fuels , climate change is the natural cycle of the earth , for so many hundreds of of years it gets warmer and then gets colder for serval hindered years. The earth has been doing that long before gas powered cars arrived.
I'll bite. Out of curiosity... if there was a reality where anthropogenic climate-change were real, what would the evidence that convinces you look like?

·
Registered
2017 Challenger HC 6M
228 Posts
I'll bite. Out of curiosity... if there was a reality where anthropogenic climate-change were real, what would the evidence that convinces you look like?
Wasn’t quoted at me, but what evidence would show you that the Earth’s climate change was attributed by North America’s fossil fuel vs India and Asian Pacific countries? If we have an issue with Earth’s climate change, then why is this only a Western Hemisphere problem? Good luck in getting any Asian Pacific country to comply to our standards.

Reactions: Glenn_B

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
1,325 Posts
Where does it say that? I havent seen a release stating that. It’s just a late production.
Ive read various posts on the forums about no one being able to order a manual car because of emissions. Find the post idk lol

Found it;

M6 Manual Transmission production pushed back at least another month | SRT Hellcat Forum

"Just heard from my dodge rep that the m6 manual transmission did not pass emissions testing and will not be available until at least June.
This is unfortunate news as not only do I have a few cats that want to order one but I’d like to drive one before everyone goes all electric. Lol. Please reach out with any questions and as always #JustSeeJake"

Theres another post where someone wanted to order one and they couldnt even get the option on the site.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
220 Posts
Wasn’t quoted at me, but what evidence would show you that the Earth’s climate change was attributed by North America’s fossil fuel vs India and Asian Pacific countries? If we have an issue with Earth’s climate change, then why is this only a Western Hemisphere problem? Good luck in getting any Asian Pacific country to comply to our standards.
I don't want to divert a Hellcat-centric conversation into politics too heavily, but I figure one answer can't hurt.

The answer to your question is: not much. I admit I'm not looking for such evidence because it's a detail I just don't care about. To me, it doesn't matter if it's 80/20, 50/50, or 90/10 who's doing it. I get it that's subjective, but I know that a huge amount of Asian pollution exists solely due to the manufacturing of cheap crap for us North Americans in the first place. Waste and emissions is a complicated topic, ranging from what comes out an exhaust pipe to non-replaceable batteries in cell phones to farming practices. I don't have The Answer, but I do know that topic is worthy of taking a long, hard look at and all of us trying to do better. Still, just because my next door neighbor is a slob who throws his cigarette butts out his car window because he's too lazy to empty an ashtray occasionally doesn't justify me being a slob.

What I'm saying is that I think you and I agree, and just have to work out the details of what appropriate response is. The person I was reply to seems to be expressing that they believe it's impossible for mankind-induced climate-change to exist... which is a fascinating standpoint.

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
I dont think anyone has said it has to with location. It’s more of not sitting around doing nothing. Those countries are obviously not participating by choice, not because of origin of emissions.

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
Ive read various posts on the forums about no one being able to order a manual car because of emissions. Find the post idk lol

Found it;

M6 Manual Transmission production pushed back at least another month | SRT Hellcat Forum

"Just heard from my dodge rep that the m6 manual transmission did not pass emissions testing and will not be available until at least June.
This is unfortunate news as not only do I have a few cats that want to order one but I’d like to drive one before everyone goes all electric. Lol. Please reach out with any questions and as always #JustSeeJake"

Theres another post where someone wanted to order one and they couldnt even get the option on the site.
Interesting...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,054 Posts
I don't want to divert a Hellcat-centric conversation into politics too heavily, but I figure one answer can't hurt.

The answer to your question is: not much. I admit I'm not looking for such evidence because it's a detail I just don't care about. To me, it doesn't matter if it's 80/20, 50/50, or 90/10 who's doing it. I get it that's subjective, but I know that a huge amount of Asian pollution exists solely due to the manufacturing of cheap crap for us North Americans in the first place. Waste and emissions is a complicated topic, ranging from what comes out an exhaust pipe to non-replaceable batteries in cell phones to farming practices. I don't have The Answer, but I do know that topic is worthy of taking a long, hard look at and all of us trying to do better. Still, just because my next door neighbor is a slob who throws his cigarette butts out his car window because he's too lazy to empty an ashtray occasionally doesn't justify me being a slob.

What I'm saying is that I think you and I agree, and just have to work out the details of what appropriate response is. The person I was reply to seems to be expressing that they believe it's impossible for mankind-induced climate-change to exist... which is a fascinating standpoint.
May I ask if you, while on the same train of thought as your hypothetical neighbor being a slob, couldn't we liken us doing our part to is forgoing eating steak because other people cannot or will not? Why should we deprive ourselves? The line between being responsible stewards and picking up the rest of the worlds slack at an increasing rate are two very different things. Wouldn't you agree?

Reactions: thetalonguyh

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
895 Posts

The Hellcats and Dodge's V8s in general have NEVER met U.S. Federal fleet CAFE standards. This is why Dodge has been spending a large portion of their revenues on purchasing offset credits from Tesla.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts