SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat 6MT
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anybody recently order a shifter directly from Barton? How did it go? Their website is operational and accepts orders, but they don't pick up their phone ("leave a message") and don't reply to messages...

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Indigo Blue with Graphics Package
1,285 Posts
Ordered mine and received it in less than a week. This was earlier this month, it's my second auto stick from them and there awesome. First was for my 17 HC, the current one was for my 2020 RE.

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
1,104 Posts
Because they have a good product...
They have old gen stuff on other sites (not their manufacture site) but I don't believe it uses the flat-stick style, but instead uses your OG shift knob and thread system. I got mine this way and saved a pretty penny, the only actual difference is the way it adjusts (both are adjustable in the same axis') and the fact that it doesn't have the flat stick for the knob to attach to. I attached a pic of the Old Gen version.

I would suggest getting one of American Muscle; Barton Challenger Short Throw Shifter with Black Stick and White Shift Knob; TR-6060 BC-0914-1FBW (09-21 V8 HEMI) (americanmuscle.com)

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
I ordered one 2 weeks ago through American Muscle. It was the same price as what was on the Barton website. Was delivered to my house 3 days later and installed the next day. If you are concerned, maybe order through a Vendor that you know is there to pick up the phone.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger HC 6M
212 Posts
I ordered one 2 weeks ago through American Muscle. It was the same price as what was on the Barton website. Was delivered to my house 3 days later and installed the next day. If you are concerned, maybe order through a Vendor that you know is there to pick up the phone.
What was your impression so far? Did you do the full shift and shaft assembly? Is it really worlds away from stock shifter? I don't mind the shifter too much in mine. Definitely has a little bit of play, but nothing to miss shifts.

Also, did you do the CDV delete yet? I think I'm going to do that this weekend. I haven't stalled a car in MANY, MANY years, but I stalled the Hellcat twice going in and out of my steep driveway. That is definitely throwing me off. It's like I have to rev much higher and feather the clutch to get it to go from a complete stop.

·
Registered
522 Posts
IMHO, huge difference. I wasn't expecting it to be all that different as the stock shifter felt pretty adequate but the Barton is way more precise. I paused at first due to the price but figured I could always sell it if it didn't make that big of a difference. Very happy I made the move. I do wish the centering spring was a little bit weaker but that would be my only change if I could make one. I also struggled with the cheaper version that used the stock shifter ball vs the kit with the Barton shifter. Again, get the Barton one. After removing the factory stuff it really is cheap made junk. Super easy to install outside of the dang slip in locks that hold the front on. I had a bear of a time getting them started. If I did it again I'd have my wife or daughter help there as I have fairly fat fingers and thus struggled to gain access to get the passenger side one on. Smaller hands = simple job and I comfortable enough in myself to admit, I have small hands for a man, just fat fingers but would have been a cakewalk for my wife or daughter...

I haven't done the CDV yet either and I've also stalled my car a couple times getting in my driveway. My wife was literally laughing at me when I did it once. She, nor I have stalled a car in damn near a decade and both have done it a couple times in the cat. I think that valve just makes things a bit less consistent as sometimes the clutch engages exactly how I'm used to and other times I'm slipping it or on the verge of stalling. Pull that sucker out this weekend and let me know what you think. I can't get to mine for at least a month now due to my daughters softball team having 4 weeks straight of tournaments.

·
Registered
522 Posts
For mine specifically, the knob would spin with no way to lock it down. Whatever they used to bond them together with had started to fail. Also when shopping cars I found a lot to where the chrome on the top of the knob was coming off already on low mile cars. Figured between the knob not staying put and that future problem I'd just ditch it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For mine specifically, the knob would spin with no way to lock it down. Whatever they used to bond them together with had started to fail.
You mean the round ball spinning on the chrome-looking factory stick, right? Or the factory stick turning in the Barton shifter?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those who still remember:
Which way the rubber block at the back of the shifter should be installed? The video on the Barton website shows the block mounted bolts facing forward, but most Youtube installation videos show the block mounted bolts facing backwards. Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 5.25.25 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 5.23.58 PM.png

·
Registered
522 Posts
Shoot I don't even recall mine having bolts on that part. Either way, it shouldn't matter but to be safe put whichever sticks out further towards the back. It wont contact anything so clearance to the shifter is the main thing to look at.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,368 Posts
Those who still remember:
Which way the rubber block at the back of the shifter should be installed? The video on the Barton website shows the block mounted bolts facing forward, but most Youtube installation videos show the block mounted bolts facing backwards. View attachment 570875 View attachment 570876
@Beast707 can help he installed his..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Either way, it shouldn't matter but to be safe put whichever sticks out further towards the back. It wont contact anything so clearance to the shifter is the main thing to look at.
Someone on YouTube said that he had noises/rattles until he put it the right way (but it wasn't clear what it was). Perhaps it (bolts?) may hit something when the assembly shakes?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Not sure. I just know on mine I had one side that had slightly more rubber sticking out. I put that side towards the shifter. I still don't recall bolts there though. I'm having a senior moment I guess.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
661 Posts
I ordered from the Barton website 1.5 weeks ago, the model that uses my stock stick. They billed me but did not send tracking. I called and they said 2 week backlog. I can wait, but is it really worth another $75 for the Barton stick? It is just a stick of steel with their name on it?

Reactions: akras

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yes but also comes with a new knob too. It's more for those that wish to not use the factory knob which isn't replaceable. It's also a slight bit taller which wound up being more comfortable to me.

Outside of those things, cosmetic.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts