SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I heard some stuff that it’s kind of not a good idea to buy used hellcats, due to people race on these cars, use them much, you know what I mean, so the technical condition is not good after such harsh usage. So high risk of run into troubles with engine or something else. It would be great to hear reasonable opinion from hellcat owners. Thank you!

·
Registered
In The Market
712 Posts
Each car on its own merit. Try to find a “known” car. I was looking at a white knuckle in a showroom owned by a 49er. Tire chards in the wheel wells. That’s when i knew it had to be new. Good luck.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,763 Posts
if you want EXACTLY your choice of options AND you intend to hold onto the car basically "forever" (or at least more than 5 years) then new makes more sense given financing options right now. If you like to change cars a lot then you should seach for one with a knowledgeable owner and a known history. You'll find some for sale here like that.

They're actually pretty darn durable! Check out the Roadkill episode where they take a Challenger Hellcat off roading to see what I mean, ;)

Or there's this!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,483 Posts
Whoever gets mine will get a garage queen. Never modded or raced or even a burnout. 2016 with 7k miles. Trading it in for a new one. Plenty like mine to be found.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
628 Posts
Just bought a used 15 with 3000 miles owned by a guy who had six other hot rods. This thing is mint. I would take a pampered used one over one rotting on a lot for a year or two and save some money in the process. Lots of choices out there but also a lot of junk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet 95% of hellcats are garage queens...

Same as 95% of jeep wranglers are never taken off road, and 95% of pick up trucks are never used as their intended....
I’m seeing a lot hellcats on car guru or carfax with mileage over 20-40k, those are definitely not in a good condition already. Also weird cars, which seems not really driven, but the car is changing third 3rd dealership and been twice sold trough auctions...

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
993 Posts
I wouldn’t want that’s beat on either. Most HC are older drivers and garage queens. Myself though I wouldn’t worry these cars are made to enjoy. My car I do the occasional burnout and I definitely open it up every chance I get...

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,483 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,944 Posts
Hey Guys,

I heard some stuff that it’s kind of not a good idea to buy used hellcats, due to people race on these cars, use them much, you know what I mean, so the technical condition is not good after such harsh usage. So high risk of run into troubles with engine or something else. It would be great to hear reasonable opinion from hellcat owners. Thank you!
There is the risk the car has been driven hard and put away wet. I would definitely stay away from any mod'd Hellcat or one that has been put back to "stock".

Ideally you would want to see at least by the book servicing and better would be better than by the book. This suggests the car was "loved".

While my Hellcat is not a garage queen, it is a 2018 with 22,000 miles, it is not abused or mistreated. The thing cost too much money to thrash about and cause unnecessary and expensive to put right wear. Or worse have the car get away from me and get bent.

Ideally you would want to find a Hellcat with at least some power train warranty left. Better yet would be some new car warranty or an extended warranty that can be transferred with the car to the new owner.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I’m seeing a lot hellcats on car guru or carfax with mileage over 20-40k, those are definitely not in a good condition already. Also weird cars, which seems not really driven, but the car is changing third 3rd dealership and been twice sold trough auctions...
Au contraire. Mine is around 60k, only thing missing seems to be new car smell and some chrome off top of shift knob.
Things fixed: wire from PCM to right hand O2 sensor after replacing O2 sensor, warranty-replaced PCM, battery.
Everything works fine. I know I drive it like a grandmother, and judging from its condition, it seems prior owner(s) did the same. Occasionally speed up to dry it off after a wash and to clean off the spark plugs if they may need it, though I don't know because it behaves just fine.
I had a lot of things I was thinking of doing to it, but I feel no need for more power when I'd need to go with different tires to take advantage of the power I have already, fully. (As in drag slicks or street drag tires.)
Also, with whatever is happening in the country right now, I find current events, for once, to be more fascinating than hobbies or entertainment, so I'm kind of glued to the screen a lot :( :D

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Most HC are older drivers and garage queens.
This. Definitely this.

Back in the day, consumers of hot cars were far younger. But, 50 years of "import cheap slave labor" later, and instead of one man being able to work and have a house, wife, and three kids, now it's more like two people working to RENT an apartment and not even consider the expense of having a kid.

You used to be able to work a summer job and "put yourself through college." LOL on steroids.

So, yes, the owners of the cars are almost always people old enough to want to treat them with respect.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
993 Posts
This. Definitely this.

Back in the day, consumers of hot cars were far younger. But, 50 years of "import cheap slave labor" later, and instead of one man being able to work and have a house, wife, and three kids, now it's more like two people working to RENT an apartment and not even consider the expense of having a kid.

You used to be able to work a summer job and "put yourself through college." LOL on steroids.

So, yes, the owners of the cars are almost always people old enough to want to treat them with respect.
agreed...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
182 Posts
Over $500 a month depreciation on new should be enough for someone to at least consider used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone looking for a deal on a Redeye challenger widebody(plum crazy) and non widebody(Bilet Silver). Both have less than 200 miles on them. I work at a dealership in AZ. Text me if you want pics or info. Serious inquires only please. Arnie 510-504-1354😎

1 - 20 of 92 Posts