SRT Hellcat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good points, Chancey, but...

I suspect that many also never get driven long/far enough to get the fluids up to temp. I would much rather buy one that has 5,000 "long trip" highway miles on it than one with 1,000 that were compiled going to the local car shows and such.

If I start mine up, it gets driven at least 20 miles.
Exactly...and most guys are like us!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
808 Posts
Most guys who purchase a hellcat, demon, redeye, or the like, take better care of them by far versus your average “transportation consumer!” Think about it...most all buyers of our type auto is a car lover. Changes oil and services ahead of schedule and more often than needed. Even though we buy them to rip around in, we know them better and treat them better than any other “thing” we own! I would rather buy a used redeye or hellcat over a “average” used car any day of the week. Of course do a full and thorough inspection, and don’t buy one without verification of service records. Under these circumstances, I would not be scared at all to pick a good used muscle car! Now that being said, as already stated above, a new one is a pretty good buy right now...
For sure, I've kept every receipt from everything I've done to the car, from oil changes to mods and everything in between just for tracking

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
150 Posts
This. Definitely this.

Back in the day, consumers of hot cars were far younger. But, 50 years of "import cheap slave labor" later, and instead of one man being able to work and have a house, wife, and three kids, now it's more like two people working to RENT an apartment and not even consider the expense of having a kid.

You used to be able to work a summer job and "put yourself through college." LOL on steroids.

So, yes, the owners of the cars are almost always people old enough to want to treat them with respect.
I agree that most HCs I see are garage queens, fair weather sailor types. I hope I never sell mine... as this car is my halo car. Not the Redeye or the WB... but the NB Purple and Black. I could have gotten a Redeye for about the same price had I not optioned this black graphics package, but some things are more important :)

That being said, I have been, and will continue to drive the hell out of it. I treat it nicely, it's well driven and never abused... but it is my daily. And by daily, I mean, 2-3 trips out every day kind of daily. I might only do 7-8k miles per year on it... but, I plan to get it to 250,000 miles one day (hopefully on the same motor... but, that's a pipe dream).

Regardless, owning the baddest muscle car on the planet and keeping it holed up in a garage is just offensive to my nature.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,293 Posts
Regardless, owning the baddest muscle car on the planet and keeping it holed up in a garage is just offensive to my nature.
Would you feel better about it if I parked it outside?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I agree that most HCs I see are garage queens, fair weather sailor types. I hope I never sell mine... as this car is my halo car. Not the Redeye or the WB... but the NB Purple and Black. I could have gotten a Redeye for about the same price had I not optioned this black graphics package, but some things are more important :)

That being said, I have been, and will continue to drive the hell out of it. I treat it nicely, it's well driven and never abused... but it is my daily. And by daily, I mean, 2-3 trips out every day kind of daily. I might only do 7-8k miles per year on it... but, I plan to get it to 250,000 miles one day (hopefully on the same motor... but, that's a pipe dream).

I have to agree. I drive the wheels off of mine as a daily also. Can’t keep it off the road. I love driving it far too much.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Well, the main reason is that while I usually drive 3-4 vehicles on a typical day, it's almost all on the property.

And when I do hit the public roads, it's generally to tow something. My "daily all-weather" pickup is a '14 with 22,000 on it, and the '17 3500 tow vehicle has 17,500.

So despite that the vast majority of my driving is at least 100 miles one way, usually closer to 500 -1,000, it's rare that I only need to transport myself. Which is where the Challenger comes in.
But now with competition from the 'Hawk, which doesn't exactly help add miles to the 'Cat.
Sell it & buy something you can enjoy more then? You have the TH so you still have the HC drivetrain

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,293 Posts
Sell it & buy something you can enjoy more then? You have the TH so you still have the HC drivetrain
I'd much rather keep the Challenger than the 'Hawk. And definitely would not consider buying something else.
Having fewer vehicles would be a very good thing, allowing more time for driving while spending less time on maintenance.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'd much rather keep the Challenger than the 'Hawk. And definitely would not consider buying something else.
Having fewer vehicles would be a very good thing, allowing more time for driving while spending less time on maintenance.
Well you just said you drive a lot, but rarely the Challenger b/c of interior room so NFC what you want then lol

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,293 Posts
No, I don't drive a lot. Well, not on public roads anyway. But when I do, it's generally for longer distances.
As far as interior room goes, the Challenger has plenty. All I really need is one seat. Can't pull gooseneck trailers with that one, though. Or even a bumper pull.

But in the near future, if weather permits, I have promised myself to go crash a drive that a British car club is putting on, and they'll drive right by me on their 600-mile trip.
The plan is to "go meet them" on their second day, some 50 miles from here, then tag along for another 100 or so past here.
It's mostly fun twisty mountain roads, so the Challenger will be the vehicle of choice.

The following day will involve towns and such, so I'll hop in the Cherokee, see them at the hotel, and then tag along for the good part of that day's drive.
With some luck, that'll put some 300 miles on each of them. But with my luck it'll be snowing.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
No, I don't drive a lot. Well, not on public roads anyway. But when I do, it's generally for longer distances.
As far as interior room goes, the Challenger has plenty. All I really need is one seat. Can't pull gooseneck trailers with that one, though. Or even a bumper pull.

But in the near future, if weather permits, I have promised myself to go crash a drive that a British car club is putting on, and they'll drive right by me on their 600-mile trip.
The plan is to "go meet them" on their second day, some 50 miles from here, then tag along for another 100 or so past here.
It's mostly fun twisty mountain roads, so the Challenger will be the vehicle of choice.

The following day will involve towns and such, so I'll hop in the Cherokee, see them at the hotel, and then tag along for the good part of that day's drive.
With some luck, that'll put some 300 miles on each of them. But with my luck it'll be snowing.
If that is the driving you'll do, get a Miata or Elise/Exige

Reactions: Mopar_Gummy

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,293 Posts
Oh, okay. May I ask why?
Is the Challenger too slow, or doesn't it corner well enough for twisty roads? It had me fooled.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,293 Posts
If that is the driving you'll do, get a Miata or Elise/Exige
Okay, I gave this some more thought. I want to drive the Challenger, especially since it's rare that I get a chance to do it, but apparently it wouldn't be appropriate.

Taking the Lotus Super Seven would be fun, but it has no roof or heater. That could be iffy even if it doesn't snow, and it'll definitely be cold in the mornings no matter what.
Another alternative would be the Austin Healey Bugeye, which has a heater, but it's 44 hp aren't great on the higher passes.
The MGB and MGB GT run okay and corner well, but I'm tired of driving them, even though I haven't done so in many years now.

A Jeep would make some sense, since Enzo Ferrari claimed that it's America's only true sports car, but the one with a heater and roof is a diesel. A relatively gutless diesel.
The Ram 1500 corners okay, but is ultra boring, and the Ram 3500 dually does not particularly care for curves at speed.
Or, I could take the Pete. It's surprisingly quick without a trailer, but the steer tires would suffer a lot.

I am not buying a Miata or Elise/Exige (don't like either one), or anything else for that matter, so which of the above would you approve of for this event?

Reactions: Chancey

·
Registered
186 Posts
Okay, I gave this some more thought. I want to drive the Challenger, especially since it's rare that I get a chance to do it, but apparently it wouldn't be appropriate.

Taking the Lotus Super Seven would be fun, but it has no roof or heater. That could be iffy even if it doesn't snow, and it'll definitely be cold in the mornings no matter what.
Another alternative would be the Austin Healey Bugeye, which has a heater, but it's 44 hp aren't great on the higher passes.
The MGB and MGB GT run okay and corner well, but I'm tired of driving them, even though I haven't done so in many years now.

A Jeep would make some sense, since Enzo Ferrari claimed that it's America's only true sports car, but the one with a heater and roof is a diesel. A relatively gutless diesel.
The Ram 1500 corners okay, but is ultra boring, and the Ram 3500 dually does not particularly care for curves at speed.
Or, I could take the Pete. It's surprisingly quick without a trailer, but the steer tires would suffer a lot.

I am not buying a Miata or Elise/Exige (don't like either one), or anything else for that matter, so which of the above would you approve of for this event?
Jimmy N., drive whichever you like, but I want to offer myself up for adoption. Even though Im 52, I dont eat much...But based on your car collection alone, I would need to drive all of them on a regular basis to ensure they keep running right for ya! Im pretty handy and also a devoted auto affectionist. Also if Im a really good (grown) kid, maybe you can place one or two in the will for me?! Please consider me, and Im willing to relocate if absolutely necessary!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,293 Posts
You would have to relocate, Chancey, sorry.
On the positive side, fuel is cheap here, and the roads are mostly nice and curvy. But there are places where going 160+ is feasible, too.

It sure would be nice at times to have a helping hand, as even with forklifts and a crane, some things do take much more time than they should when working alone. And we do have an empty guesthouse.

Also, I only listed the registered and insured vehicles. There's another 10 or so that also need oil changes, tires, batteries charged, etc. Yes, I could keep you busy.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
808 Posts
Hey guys,
Can I throw my hat in the ring for that adoption. I'm 6' 250, so do eat a ton, but im also a Marine thats relocated many times and am adaptable to any environment 😏 especially one with a car collection 😜

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey guys,
Can I throw my hat in the ring for that adoption. I'm 6' 250, so do eat a ton, but im also a Marine thats relocated many times and am adaptable to any environment 😏 especially one with a car collection 😜
Im selling out my tied up property now! And sorry mopar gummy... I asked first!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Guys,

I heard some stuff that it’s kind of not a good idea to buy used hellcats, due to people race on these cars, use them much, you know what I mean, so the technical condition is not good after such harsh usage. So high risk of run into troubles with engine or something else. It would be great to hear reasonable opinion from hellcat owners. Thank you!
Short answer yes. just like any car they go down in value and just need to know how it was taken care of.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,293 Posts
Im selling out my tied up property now! And sorry mopar gummy... I asked first!
It would be interesting to have Mopar_Gummy show up, too. Then we'd have six Hellcat powered cars on the property, which could be more fun than only five.

Reactions: Chancey
61 - 80 of 89 Posts