SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a mechanic, computer guy by trade so I don't really know cars that well, but I need to know if my suspension is going. Here are the symptoms. In anything but Track mode the car feels exceptionally floaty now, it didn't feel that way last year when I got it new. Any type of lane changes over grooved roads or doing any spirited driving and going around corners and hitting any kind of bumps the car is all over the place. It only has 11K Km, on it, so it hasn't been driven much. My rear tires are almost gone, but would this contribute to that feeling? Are there any tests I can perform or telltale signs to look at? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,612 Posts
tiregod might be valuable here!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
410 Posts
Have you checked your tire air pressure?

Reactions: ciphros

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,715 Posts
Get a four wheel alignment first.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
373 Posts
My charger feels the same way I have 7000 miles and it has been this way for a long time. At higher speeds the front does seem to float around I have had it checked and reassured it is nothing. In track mode everything tightens up

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
400 Posts
I have found the same "feeling" after installing the KW lowering springs and new wheels and tires (stock size on the front, 305's in the back). I'm thinking the alignment is off too. Time to make an appointment at the alignment shop I guess

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9,004 Posts
I'm in agreements with a lot of numbers here, definitely check air pressure, it won't hurt to check the alignment, tire God is an exceptional contributor on the site for everything and anything about tires

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tire pressure is right around 30-32 psi. But could it be an alignment, it does pull a little to the right would that contribute to it feeling floaty?

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,014 Posts
Do you drive in track mode a lot? I'm only asking because going from track to street does feel floaty (the difference).

Reactions: HemiNole

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I don't drive in track mode too much, roads are too crappy in Calgary and it feels like your going to lose your teeth!! lol

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
373 Posts
Any updates on the freeway over uneven pavement the steering wheel gets jarred and car feels unstable. Could if be bad dampers

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, no other updates, I haven't had Dodge look at the suspension yet, I had a hole in my Rad so had to get that fixed first. Now its on to the suspension. It still feels the same way, but I may wait until I get new tires as my rears are bald at this point.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
1,169 Posts
No, no other updates, I haven't had Dodge look at the suspension yet, I had a hole in my Rad so had to get that fixed first. Now its on to the suspension. It still feels the same way, but I may wait until I get new tires as my rears are bald at this point.
Doug, do you want me to take your car out for a rip and let you know if it's just in your mind? ;)

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Onl
Doug, do you want me to take your car out for a rip and let you know if it's just in your mind? ;)
Only If I can take yours out to compare!!!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
44 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, computer guy by trade so I don't really know cars that well, but I need to know if my suspension is going. Here are the symptoms. In anything but Track mode the car feels exceptionally floaty now, it didn't feel that way last year when I got it new. Any type of lane changes over grooved roads or doing any spirited driving and going around corners and hitting any kind of bumps the car is all over the place. It only has 11K Km, on it, so it hasn't been driven much. My rear tires are almost gone, but would this contribute to that feeling? Are there any tests I can perform or telltale signs to look at? Thanks in advance.
My 2018 does exactly the same thing. It’s like something is loose. At 50-60 mph it feels like it wants to skate sideways, especially in a curve with bumps.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,128 Posts
My 2018 does exactly the same thing. It’s like something is loose. At 50-60 mph it feels like it wants to skate sideways, especially in a curve with bumps.
The behavior you describe can be due to shock absorber wear. But it can just be normal, well normal if the shock or rear suspension is not too good.

Years ago a car I owned manifested this behavior that was particularly noticeable on a very sharp turn that from the traffic developed a nice set of ripples. The car was pretty new. I drove the car to over 150K miles and except for that behavior on that turn and a few times I encountered similar turns elsewhere, did not manifest any other sighs fo shock or suspension wear.

It just so happened that car had a solid rear axle. The last car I owned that had a solid rear axle.

Years later when I moved back to the area I drove another car of mine over the that road and around that turn. Even though the road had been resurfaced traffic still sooner or later (mostly sooner) generated the ripples in the pavement. The car felt fine. This even though the car had considerably more miles on it than the first car did. It also had a much more sophisticated rear suspension. I drove this car to 317K miles and it was just starting to show signs the suspension (shocks mostly) were getting close to needing replacement.

I was able to use this turn to "test" a number of cars over the years and they were pretty much ok. I don't recall any car behaving quite like the 1st car.

My usual advice is if the shocks are not showing any leak sign, if the suspension joints are all "tight" -- I watched techs check these: the pull and tug on the various suspension hardware looking for any signs excesive play -- if the car does not manifest porpoising behavior, alignment remains good and tire wear acceptable with no wear that can be a sign of suspension/shock problems the suspension/shocks are ok. They may behave like you describe but it is not because they are worn or the suspension is worn it is because the shocks or suspension is not very good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts