SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the HC is a VVT engine like the 6.4?
From what I had read and experienced for myself the 6.4 VVT dosnt start working fully till 1800 miles for engine break-in. Just wondering if that would apply to the HC.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,869 Posts
that could be urban legend....i felt my 392 do a bit better at around 4,000 miles.....or did i imagine it?

at some point an engine breaks in and gets a bit better mileage, so id assume it also increases a bit of HP

i dont know if it has ever been verified that the 392 has magic hp after a few thousand miles

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok good to know. I could have swore I read somewhere that they should be commended for putting vvt in a supercharged engine. Must have been fluff.

·
Have Guns Will Travel
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye - 2015 Challenger Hellcat
6,308 Posts
Thank God they did not.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,464 Posts
Agree,, were not going a 700 hp car and worried about getting 25mpg lol
While I agree, and don't care too much about gas mileage, having decent mileage if you stay out of it is a plus. Drove to work this morning, reset the average MPG, 30 miles on the highway, stayed around 70 mph... 23.7 as I got close to my exit. Of course after showing it to people at work and driving around town to lunch it dropped to 8.5, but was back to 14.4 by the time I got home (not exactly going easy on it).

No complaints here.. :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think people who buy a muscle car and worry about MPG, don't get it at all.
VVT and MDS are mutually exclusive. VVTs main purpose is performance and better MPG is just a side effect. You are most likely thinkg of the MDS Cylinder deactivation that are on the 5.7 and 6.4s.

For example, my SRT 6.4 6MT has VVT but not MDS. So I am not asking the question because I want better MPG, but was asking the question because its a long rumored myth or science, depending on what you read, that the SRT 6.4 limits that VVT during engine break in until roughly 1800 miles. (this has never been truly confirmed again but some srt engineers mentioned it) at which point the VVT works fully and you get a slight hp bump. I am just wondering if the same applied to the HC.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
268 Posts
The Hellcat does have VVT.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
46 Posts
Camshaft-wise, the 6.2L Hellcat utilizes lobe profiles very similar to the 215/221-at-0.050 hydraulic roller found the 6.4L Apache. "The Hellcat's intake lobes have 0.75mm [0.029 inch] less lift and a couple of degrees less duration than the Apache," Cowland explains. "On the exhaust side, the lift is the same, but the Hellcat has 20 degrees more duration. Although both engines have a 120.5-degree lobe-separation angle and the cam can be phased plus or minus 37 degrees, the Hellcat features a considerably different variable-valve timing map than the Apache." Hotrod.com

Yes it does have vvt

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good to know.. I thought that is what I read. I wonder if it does have the computer limited vvt that is rumored in the 6.4s until engine break in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.