SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are thieves that cannot drive a manual so they resort to steal the autos. But legit question, are the manual HC targeted too?
I think the answer is yes, but not to the extent that the autos are.

I came from Jeep GC WK2 forums, thieves love to steel Jeep SRT in Chi town and Michigan.
I'm guess its all auto 392 cars/trucks and hellcat autos. Dodge doing a stellar job securing these cars.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Cross-reference the demographics of a region with the theft rate. It will help you avoid regions with a similar demographic. Some places I don't let the car out of my sight, but I don't frequent areas dominated by criminal scum.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,098 Posts
Owners without a garage.
Yep. YEP. YUP. I'll never understand the mentality of someone who buys an $80,000 car and decides to park it outside. That's asking for big trouble. The other thing that bends my head is when someone has a 2-car garage, a nice BMW or something like a Hellcat parked outside, and when they open the garage, it's full of crap like old paintings, workout equipment, laundry and junk. It's like... dude. The car is worth 1/3 of the value of your house and you PARK IT OUTSIDE?

(Home prices here are fairly low. A $300k house in a nice area is about 2500-3k sq.ft.).

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,310 Posts
I see a lot of Hellcats stolen is Atlanta and Georgia, and then everywhere else. Last year one was stolen in Texas right at a Mopar event at the track.Oh then there are those ones that get stolen right off the dealerships lot. The last one I remember about that was quite a few from a California Dealership.

One of these would be a good choice for some protection.

Linda :)

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger Hellcat
76 Posts
I see a lot of Hellcats stolen is Atlanta and Georgia, and then everywhere else. Last year one was stolen in Texas right at a Mopar event at the track.Oh then there are those ones that get stolen right off the dealerships lot. The last one I remember about that was quite a few from a California Dealership.

One of these would be a good choice for some protection.

Linda :)
I have one of those Faraday bags for my key fobs and they are awesome. You can get in the car with the fob in the bag and it will not be detected. If I take the Challenger out I always put the fob in the bag as soon as I park the car.
I would recommend one.

·
Registered
2015 Charger SRT Hellcat
1,385 Posts
Don't they steal them w/o the key though? What does the Faraday bag do then?

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
14 Posts
Don't they steal them w/o the key though? What does the Faraday bag do then?
A number of them appear be stolen using a signal repeater device of some kind. Someone walks up outside holding the device which scans for the FOB signal. If they can catch the signal then the car thinks the FOB is present and they are able to just unlock and start the car as if they have the FOB. I was blown away seeing it work on videos and bought faraday bags that same day on Amazon.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,634 Posts
I know there are thieves that cannot drive a manual so they resort to steal the autos. But legit question, are the manual HC targeted too?
I think the answer is yes, but not to the extent that the autos are.

I came from Jeep GC WK2 forums, thieves love to steel Jeep SRT in Chi town and Michigan.
I'm guess its all auto 392 cars/trucks and hellcat autos. Dodge doing a stellar job securing these cars.
Any car is at risk of being stolen. I would not rely upon the fact a car is equipped with a manual transmission to keep the car safe.

A car can be lifted up by its rear wheels and hauled away in about the time it takes to read this sentence. The tow truck doesn't care if the car is equipped with a manual or automatic transmission.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I have one of those Faraday bags for my key fobs and they are awesome. You can get in the car with the fob in the bag and it will not be detected. If I take the Challenger out I always put the fob in the bag as soon as I park the car.
I would recommend one.
If it is not detected, how did you get in the car?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Anyway, how would one OPEN a lock in the first place, if one's key fob was truly undetectable? Do you use the physical key or do you take the fob out of the pouch? Using the physical key would be the most secure, IF the key were separate from the fob.

My point was that if the car will open upon you pressing the handle stud from the outside, then your fob had to be detectable, and that would be a cause for concern.

Further, if one were to get a dummy key set up for a junkyard Hellcat, and click it every time you approach the car, one could "fool" sniffers in the area into thinking they had the correct code for one's key, while one uses the physical key to do the actual chores. Can one activate the alarm using the physical key? That would be the most secure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts