SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed that at a stand still, a fan or something spins super fast and the coolant gauge shoots up but when driving normally everything is normal. Any ideas as to what's the issue?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds normal for standard engine operation.

At speed airflow passes through the radiator cooling the coolant and thus your engine stabilizing it at 203F.

If you stop, there's no airflow, the hot coolant can't shed it's the heat when passing through the radiator, and so the engine temp rises.

Around 210F the low speed fans come on and about 220F the high speed fans come on to pull air through the radiator in attempt to cool that coolant and engine.

I believe the water temp gauge maxes out at 240F and will throw a light/code at that point.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,876 Posts
No airflow hitting the radiator at standstills. Temps rise faster. Fans will sense the rising temps and kick on like theyre supposed to.
Sounds normal.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
102 Posts
Just noticed that at a stand still, a fan or something spins super fast and the coolant gauge shoots up but when driving normally everything is normal. Any ideas as to what's the issue?
Well, if it wasn’t doing it before, I would suspect a bad thermostat. That’s what happened to my 2019 RE. When the dealer pulled the thermostat the center post had cracked on one side where it met the thermostat body and the spring mechanism was not allowing it to full open. Hope that helps. Thermostat was replaced and problem solved

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,564 Posts
Something spinning super fast and coolant temperature shooting up are relative terms.

The radiator fan spins has at least 2 speeds, low and high. At some coolant temperature level the engine controller will switch the fan on low speed. At some higher coolant temperature the engine controller will switch the fan to high speed.

If the coolant temperature falls that's a good sign things are normal.

If the temperature doesn't fall or worse continues to go higher that's not normal. This could be due to a sticky or non functional T-stat which while not open fully is open enough that enough coolant is circulated that under the best cooling conditions -- the vehicle under light load moving down the road a speed -- the coolant temperature stays at a reasonable level.

Just an aside, with another car I had a radiator fan motor shaft snap. After the fan motor still ran it just didn't turn the radiator fan. The car had a 2nd radiator and with a fan. (It had a 3rd radiator but no fan with this one.) The result was the car manifested no signs of overheating but it was the difference in sound -- the fan motor spinning faster because it had no fan to turn -- that prompted me to get of the car and investigate. It was then I found while the radiator fan motor was running there was no air flow into or out of the radiator duct.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,129 Posts
I'd say the issue is that you're looking at that gauge too much. :) It's like the "making sausage" thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts