SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2018 Charger SRT Hellcat. Only had 9K miles on it. Previous owner was a older guy, must have been his first sports car because it got a little "loose" on him and scared him so bad he traded it in. Anyways, I've been looking at the JLT CAI and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with water leaking past the Lexon plate they have you put on one of the hood intakes? Does the heat shield box seal to the bottom of the hood as advertised? I really would like to get a Ram Air kit that directs air directly from the hood scoops to the air box like I've heard the Redeye has, but I can't seem to find it anywhere without changing the entire hood out. Any info would be great as well as some honest assessments of the JLT CAI.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Charger Hellcat
183 Posts
I don't run the JLT intake but I do use their water/vent shield. I only use when washing my car. I haven't had any issues when I had my LMI intake (didn't use their shield) and also my current AFe setup.

That is an extractor vent above the intake. There is already a tube that helps forces air into the box.

Your only other way of forcing more air is to remove the headlamp. The intake doesn't even provide that much more power wise if any. You can also run a viper type hood with more extractors to help.

You're better off putting that extra effort into something else.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you are getting the JLT for power = pass
If you are getting the JLT for sound = go do it

I have it on my challenger and it really woke up the sound of my SC. I don't see how water could get onto it with the shield in place for either platform. If you are super worried you could always put a sock on your your intake too.

Example - JLT PRE-FILTER for 5"x9"; 6"x9" Air Filters

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't run the JLT intake but I do use their water/vent shield. I only use when washing my car. I haven't had any issues when I had my LMI intake (didn't use their shield) and also my current AFe setup.

That is an extractor vent above the intake. There is already a tube that helps forces air into the box.

Your only other way of forcing more air is to remove the headlamp. The intake doesn't even provide that much more power wise if any. You can also run a viper type hood with more extractors to help.

You're better off putting that extra effort into something else.
Thanks for the reply. I know that the stock air box gets air from two different places already. One from the bottom of the box which is from under the car and the fender well. The other is the "ram tube" that's behind the fresca where the fog lights would be on a regular Charger. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are getting the JLT for power = pass
If you are getting the JLT for sound = go do it

I have it on my challenger and it really woke up the sound of my SC. I don't see how water could get onto it with the shield in place for either platform. If you are super worried you could always put a sock on your your intake too.

Example - JLT PRE-FILTER for 5"x9"; 6"x9" Air Filters
I'm always looking for a little more power, but from all the reviews I've seen I already knew it would very little and wouldn't be noticed in the grand scheme of things. I'd love to "open" things up a little and I definately love the SC whine I've seen in some of the YouTube videos out there.

My concern was if the Lexon plate seals well around the intake vent. In the installation video on the JLT website it doesn't look like there's any sort of sealing like a rubber gasket or something when the Lexon plate is installed. In the video, the Charger plate looks like it basically sits between a heat shield under the hood and the the vent grill. The Challenger plate comes with a rubber gasket along one edge in the video, but they say that's for rattle because of the shape of the hood in that area. That's why I was looking for folks that have installed this type of plate on the intake vent to see if this install is water tight or if they had to come back later with some type of sealant like I've seen in some videos. One fella used some sort of Gorilla Tape to seal around his, but I'm not sure if that's a lasting solution. I was thinking some small diameter rubber tubing, split down the middle and put all around the edge, much like the heat shield box sealant, would work.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
423 Posts
OK, I understand a bit better now. No it's not sealed to the hood. What the lexan piece does is routes the water away from the filter. Water will still come through that opening but it wont drip or stream onto the actual filter element. It will go into the intake box and drain out the bottom. The good news about it not sealing up is some of the heat can still escape there.

If you are still concerned about the water then I would suggest something like the legmaker intake. I've heard it does good with increasing supercharger sound but it comes in more of an enclosed type of setup.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I understand a bit better now. No it's not sealed to the hood. What the lexan piece does is routes the water away from the filter. Water will still come through that opening but it wont drip or stream onto the actual filter element. It will go into the intake box and drain out the bottom. The good news about it not sealing up is some of the heat can still escape there.

If you are still concerned about the water then I would suggest something like the legmaker intake. I've heard it does good with increasing supercharger sound but it comes in more of an enclosed type of setup.
I saw that about the plate with the Legmaker. I just didn't like the plate over the top that the Legmaker uses.

With that plate you're basically getting a beefed up stock box. I guess the only difference is more room in the "box" and possibly better heat shielding from the inside engine compartment.

Honestly, I'd like to have something like the Ram Air Kit where the hood scoop actually provides air to the intake box when moving forward. I know the intake tube routed to the front fresca does something similar, but I don't think there's as much air being "rammed" from that tube compared to what you'd probably get from the hood scoop at speed. Just saying.

I guess the only benefit you'd get from intake boxes like the JLT and Legmaker would be that there's a little more volume in the intake box over the stock box which gives more volume to make the SC whine bigger and a little less heat absorbed. Since neither box appears to be insulated from the engine heat and utilizes the same air supply locations (bottom from the fender well / undercarriage and intake tube behind the fresca) , it's just a bigger volume inside the box so less heat absorbed.

I might get the JTL one because I like the install better than the Legmaker and try to do some insulating myself. I wonder what a little spray on foam insulation (in a small amount) would do for heat reduction?? I realize it'd reduce the box volume a little, but that'd only reduce the SC whine a bit. If you could reduce the intake temp a few degrees by providing a better thermal barrier from engine heat it'd have to help some. Maybe someone will try it and see.

Thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Pretty sure the extra wine is from the exposed element so the sound is able to escape better.

The stock airbox does the best with temp control. You may look at trying some heat shielding on the exterior of the JLT box like lava shield (Lava Shield). It may help a bit. I think most of the heat is from the case but also where the tube comes through case as it doesn't really seal all that well. It seals good to the hood but their is some space there. My intake temps are slightly higher than before while sitting still or moving slowly but once I get up to at least 40mph or so they are basically back to where it was before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts