SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on a couple of posts that it is not recommended to jump start because some problems might arise. I cannot find any of the posts where i read this so i wasnt able to reply on there but does anyone know what kind of problems will occur if a hellcat gets jumped often?

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,559 Posts
I read on a couple of posts that it is not recommended to jump start because some problems might arise. I cannot find any of the posts where i read this so i wasnt able to reply on there but does anyone know what kind of problems will occur if a hellcat gets jumped often?
If jumping from another vehicle, shut that vehicle off and just use its battery.

One Cardinal Rule: One of the Negative Connectors on the jumper cables is ALWAYS the last one connected and the first one DISCONNECTED when done. This prevents sparks and surges.

Same with Battery Terminals or a Charger... the Negative is always last on and first off.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,559 Posts
Why would jumping affect anything? I don't get this topic.

You're just connecting another battery in parallel and starting the car. You're not exceeding the voltage of the system.
Potential surges & spikes.

That's why the neg is always the last on & the first off.

· Premium Member
2022 Challenger Jail Break
2,739 Posts
Potential surges & spikes.

That's why the neg is always the last on & the first off.
Yeah I still don't see an issue. The hellcat battery is still connected in the car and the other battery is connected in parallel. Any tiny spike of voltage is neglible because the car operates at 14 volts nominal running and the battery voltages are 12. Your not getting a 2V sustained spike. I would also think that hellcat battery installed would act as a simplae capacitor and "absorb" any spikes in the system.

I have jumped vehicles tons of times, never an issue.

· Registered
'23 Redeye Jailbreak
4,863 Posts
would you happen to know what happens if i jumped my car often tho? it's too late now because i didnt know about this and i jumped my car plenty of times using my durango.
Both times I've jumped my modern Challengers (2018 T/A, 2020 Hellcat), it fried the batteries. The T/A was jumped at the dealership by their service department using some sort of jump box on wheels. The car sat too long in the showroom and the battery died.

On my Hellcat, I drained it doing some headlight work. I attached a similar battery charger/jump starter with it set to the lowest setting, let it sit 5 minutes to build a charge, and then jump started it. Similarly to the T/A, the battery would no longer take a charge and I had to replace the battery.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
627 Posts
I have never had an issue jumpstarting a car but I only use it for emergencies. I always try with the other car off first if the battery I’m jumping is smaller.
This has nothing to do with voltage by the way. 12V systems have to be stable up to 18-19V. The current is what you gets you

· Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,224 Posts
My SOP is to use jump starting as a last resort. So far I have not had to have a car jump started in as long as I can remember.

I hate to say it but I am loathe to offer my car to provide a jump start. I don't carry jumper cables.

The risk is the cables can be connected wrong (reversed) or while connected correctly can result in a voltage surge/spike.

If you have to jump start your car once that's bad enough. If you have to jump start it more than once you need to get the reason why it needs to be jump started sorted out.

I can offer my experience with my Hellcat is it did not like to sit unused for any real length of time. It never sat so long to require a jump start but I made it a point to use the car often enough this kept the battery healthy. (Connecting a battery charger/maintainer was not an option.)

If you don't or can't use your car often enough to keep the battery topped up you need a battery charger/maintainer.

· Registered
2015 Challenger SRT M6 Hellcat
1,167 Posts
This is what I've used for the last 7 years. Never had issues. Portable, don't need another car. I carry it in my trunk and recharge it once a year just to keep it at maximum charge.
Input device Camera accessory Game controller Gadget Font

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why would jumping affect anything? I don't get this topic.

You're just connecting another battery in parallel and starting the car. You're not exceeding the voltage of the system.
As I mentioned on the first post… I saw a couple of posts saying that it was harmful. I’m only asking this because I read those conversations and I wanted to get more information about that.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay............ what does your manual say? Mine says it ok and explains it on two pages. I would believe that over "a couple of posts" here.
Yes agreed. But it doesn’t hurt to ask. Idk why people are being so negative about this post. I’m just trying to be safe. If you guys think it’s a dumb question then just don’t respond. I’m here to seek help not so get told what topics are dumb

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mostly everyone here must think I’m dumb or something. I’m literally asking this because the battery is brand new and the car won’t start. You can tell me “oh why jump start instead of getting a new battery” well no shit.. yea I think that’s what everyone would do… but if it’s a bad battery. I took my new batter back to autozone to get it tested because the car ran fine for 2 months and now it won’t crank over. Which is why I have been jumping it. Hence this topic.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.