SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can still post here. I sold my 892whp 2016 Challenger Hellcat and I now drive a 2021 Camaro ZL1 too. I still like to keep up with the latest here and help when I can answer some questions. Congrats on an amazing car though, I love my ZL1 so much more than my Hellcat, and I didn't even think that was possible. I see a lot of former Hellcat owners on the ZL1 forum driving 6th Gen ZL1's now.

View attachment 580076
That is good looking. I bounced back and forth between this and my hellcat. Ended up going with the hellcat but I bet that handles better in the canyons? I picked the hellcat because I needed a little bit more room in the backseat for my kid.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Should have waited to see what the new ZL1 delivers. Rumors are that GM is going to do a nice send off for the last two years of the ZL1 potentially even making a ZL1 1LE with GM's latest greatest magna ride and optional Brembo carbon ceramic brake rotors. It's also supposed to go from the LT4 to the LT5 and potentially get more power than the current LT5 is making in the Cadillac Blackwing CT5-V.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,226 Posts
That is good looking. I bounced back and forth between this and my hellcat. Ended up going with the hellcat but I bet that handles better in the canyons? I picked the hellcat because I needed a little bit more room in the backseat for my kid.
That was my original reason for buying my Challenger Hellcat, my son was younger and I wanted the option to take my wife and son on trips but since he's older now and doesn't need to sit in the back, we have the Durango Hellcat for family trips, and I have a GMC Canyon daily driver too if we need to take short trips around town. The ZL1 is just a toy for me now, when the weather is nice, I'm usually driving it, sometimes I take a passenger but the rear seats don't get used.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,226 Posts
Should have waited to see what the new ZL1 delivers. Rumors are that GM is going to do a nice send off for the last two years of the ZL1 potentially even making a ZL1 1LE with GM's latest greatest magna ride and optional Brembo carbon ceramic brake rotors. It's also supposed to go from the LT4 to the LT5 and potentially get more power than the current LT5 is making in the Cadillac Blackwing CT5-V.
The ZL1 is not going to have the LT5 engine. The ZL1 in 2023 and 2024 will likely have the Blackwing engine which is nothing more than a slightly massaged LT4 with 17 more hp.

·
Registered
21 Go Mango Charger Hellcat Widebody
115 Posts
Im doing the the complete opposite. I have a 2018 ZL1 A10 currently. And have been loving it. But I have a small family and I thought I was going to be able to manage bringing around kids in it. And I can, but its a pain in the ass as expected. So I ordered a 2021 Charger Hellcat WB from Jake. And everytime I go out in my ZL1, I question if Im doing the right thing because I LOVE this car. The ZL1 is smoking fast and a true sports car. Its like driving a rollercoaster. I absolutely would love to keep it, but when my boys are asking to go out with me driving or I have to pick someone up from a sporting event, its just a pain. The trunk is tiny and there is literally no leg room even for my 7 year old. And after soccer when his cleats are caked with dirt/mud/grass, he has to take them off or sit with his legs up on the seats in the back. There are so many instances where the charger would be better for me. And being very similar in power, it should be a great car to go into while giving up the ZL1.

As for the ZL1, it does everything great. I can pull a 0-60 in 3.8 without any drama, just putting it in sport and stabbing it from a dig. The car does not want to slide or step out, it just wants to grip and go. It doesnt like to do burnouts basically. And thats by design. And I miss the out of control feeling a car like the hellcat gives. The ZL1 wants to be driven hard into corners then rocket out at breakneck speeds. The hellcat wants to drift out. And that aside from the utility is taking me back to dodge. Before the ZL1 I had a 17 Scatpack challenger a8. I loved the size and grunt of the SCAT, but always wanted more. And SCATs are shit to mod past 500rwhp.

The charger should be here soon, and its going to be bitter sweet. I wanted the ZL1, I drove cross country for it and have been babying it while also ripping on it for a while now. Every time I come home in it, I tell the wife I feel like Im making a mistake trading out of it. But she reminds me of all the utility we will pick up with the charger hellcat, while still keeping the power and fun factor of a car with a blown v8. So Its bittersweet, but Im going to make the trade. To the OP, you will not be disappointed with the ZL1. Its a different car. It can be modded with the stock blower to make 900rwhp just as easily as a Hellcat. The LT4 is a great platform, and parts will be available for decades to come and much cheaper I might add than the 6.2l hemi in the hellcat. I will always see the ZL1's and be sad for a bit. Until I get out in the new hellcat and melt the tires off from stoplight to stoplight!!

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,226 Posts
Im doing the the complete opposite. I have a 2018 ZL1 A10 currently. And have been loving it. But I have a small family and I thought I was going to be able to manage bringing around kids in it. And I can, but its a pain in the ass as expected. So I ordered a 2021 Charger Hellcat WB from Jake. And everytime I go out in my ZL1, I question if Im doing the right thing because I LOVE this car. The ZL1 is smoking fast and a true sports car. Its like driving a rollercoaster. I absolutely would love to keep it, but when my boys are asking to go out with me driving or I have to pick someone up from a sporting event, its just a pain. The trunk is tiny and there is literally no leg room even for my 7 year old. And after soccer when his cleats are caked with dirt/mud/grass, he has to take them off or sit with his legs up on the seats in the back. There are so many instances where the charger would be better for me. And being very similar in power, it should be a great car to go into while giving up the ZL1.

As for the ZL1, it does everything great. I can pull a 0-60 in 3.8 without any drama, just putting it in sport and stabbing it from a dig. The car does not want to slide or step out, it just wants to grip and go. It doesnt like to do burnouts basically. And thats by design. And I miss the out of control feeling a car like the hellcat gives. The ZL1 wants to be driven hard into corners then rocket out at breakneck speeds. The hellcat wants to drift out. And that aside from the utility is taking me back to dodge. Before the ZL1 I had a 17 Scatpack challenger a8. I loved the size and grunt of the SCAT, but always wanted more. And SCATs are shit to mod past 500rwhp.

The charger should be here soon, and its going to be bitter sweet. I wanted the ZL1, I drove cross country for it and have been babying it while also ripping on it for a while now. Every time I come home in it, I tell the wife I feel like Im making a mistake trading out of it. But she reminds me of all the utility we will pick up with the charger hellcat, while still keeping the power and fun factor of a car with a blown v8. So Its bittersweet, but Im going to make the trade. To the OP, you will not be disappointed with the ZL1. Its a different car. It can be modded with the stock blower to make 900rwhp just as easily as a Hellcat. The LT4 is a great platform, and parts will be available for decades to come and much cheaper I might add than the 6.2l hemi in the hellcat. I will always see the ZL1's and be sad for a bit. Until I get out in the new hellcat and melt the tires off from stoplight to stoplight!!
No question if you need the room for more than 2 occupants, the Hellcat is the better option. The ZL1 really is a 2 seater with 2 seats in the back for storage.

·
Registered
21 Go Mango Charger Hellcat Widebody
115 Posts
No question if you need the room for more than 2 occupants, the Hellcat is the better option. The ZL1 really is a 2 seater with 2 seats in the back for storage.
Absolutely. I've said its a corvette with fake backseats. Such an amazing rocket, but its all business. If you keep any amount of TC on, the car will simply not break loose. Mine just grips and rips. I was going to order some DRs for it for the track, but it doesnt need a tire. In stock form the stock tires are more than enough on the street let alone a sticky track. There is no worry about traction with my ZL1. If its dry, the car is going to grip. That gets boring too. I used to love to slide around my SCAT challenger. That car would light em up and was easy to slide anywhere. I do miss that. And this new HC charger WB is going to be that 10x I bet. Should be fun to play with. And for that car I will be ordering some MT ET street Rs for the track.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too was looking at ZL1 but wanted something with a useable trunk and comfier ride. No brainer it was the Hellcat.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,118 Posts
I really like that machine
Both the GT500 and the ZL1 are fine cars. I still think the Camaros, including the ZL1 are on par with the Pontiac Aztec for ugliest car of the last 50 years, but that's my opinion. The GT500 is purely performance focused with comfort being far down the list of concerns. The ZL1 is a bit of an outlier. It's a euro-style GT car that has no focus whatsoever. It's a Jack-of-all, master of none type of car. The Hellcats, in my humble opinion, don't really compare to either of them. It's a muscle car/cruiser and appointed as such. Turning, meh. It's OK but it's no artful corner dodger. It's fast, it's huge, weighs a lot, but it has presence and power. That's all it needs.

If someone is happy in one of these over the others, then that just speaks as to what kind of driver they are. I've said it 100x. If you want max performance potential, you go Mustang or GT500. There's no better platform for affordable 8-9 second 1/4mi power, anywhere. The GT500, so long as you don't screw with it, is equally as good on the twisties as it is in straight line performance. The tradeoff is that the cruise to/from the track can get uncomfortable. The car thinks it's on the track 100% of the time, and when you're not, it still gives you that track feel... although not nearly as harshly as the older model Camaro Z28. The Camaro is decent everywhere, but when you lump it in with its competition, there's another car in the segment that does everything the Camaro can do, better. Except looks. It's the prime reason nobody buys them. So says most every auto publication and consumer review site on the planet.

I personally thought long and hard about ordering a GT500. I had the opportunity to track one for a few tanks of gas (they burn through a full tank in about 30min at the track). Somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd tank I decided against it. While it is a delightful performer, I couldn't get the thought out of my head that an $80,000+ car had the interior of the $25,000 EcoBoost in it. Also, the seats are non-adjustable. I'm 6'5" and I had to adjust my spine to fit the seat properly. 90 minutes of track work is never comfortable, but I won't lie and say that I was not looking forward to the 3rd session. I scheduled a 90 minute lower back massage while I was at the track. My lumbar was done for. The GT500 is awesome, but not for the price tag. I'd say the same thing if I had a new 2015 Hellcat, as it had the same hard rubber trim as the base model SXT. It's also why I didn't get one of those either. I can't really comment on the ZL1, as I'm simply too tall to fit into one comfortably, even as a passenger. I've done it, I've driven 'em... but I'm not a 5'9" Nascar driver, and I just don't fit. $400 shoes 2 sizes too small are no good, regardless if they're Yeezy's or not. My height also dramatically amplifies the Camaro's blind spots. Mr. Magoo in a 650hp car... not a smart thing, so I avoid it :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Hpmaniac, holy cow! Impressive collection of muscle in your garage! I get when Blkout says that the ZL1 is a race-car. That's what it feels like to me. And like maybe a few others on this forum, I raced in SCCA for many years. The throttle response of the ZL1 is instantaneous. The steering is incredibly direct. It goes through the corners with laser precision, at insanely high speeds. It's much easier to go fast in the ZL1.

However, if pure fun is the objective, the Redeye WB is hard to beat. The power is intoxicating. I love the fact that you've got to feather the throttle a bit at low speeds or it will light em up in a big smokey burnout. I loved that when I'd leave my driveway and started slowly moving down the street, that the transmission would shift into each next gear with a satisfying push. It just felt so powerful. Both cars have amazing transmissions. The Redeye takes more finesse to accelerate, and part of me really digs that. The ZL1 is a no brainer, you just stand on the gas and it goes like hell.

So I love both. But now I've got the ZL1. The ZL1 is better than many of my former, fully caged, SCCA Corvette race-cars. It is an insanely fast car and easy to drive very fast. I loved the Redeye WB, and it was pretty capable in the corners, but nothing like the ZL1. So, the big difference as I see it is fun, or capability.

PS. I'm 6'2" and fit just fine in the ZL1.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,226 Posts
The gt500 was so beautiful though. I enjoyed looking at the car more than driving it.
They are the best looking Mustang ever made in my opinion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is like the Ducati Panigale line up, they look incredible, like to me 10/10. But they ride hot af and the seat isnt comfortable. If I ever own that bike, I would just pull it out of the garage to look at it.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
367 Posts
I know quite a few former Hellcat owners that bought GT500's, I don't know of anyone that regretted it.
The irony is that a number of GT500 owners, like me, jumped ship to Hellcats a few years ago. I just ordered my third Charger Hellcat since 2017 and never looked back. And never considered another GT500. There's a butt for every seat and mine will be in a Charger.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,118 Posts
The irony is that a number of GT500 owners, like me, jumped ship to Hellcats a few years ago. I just ordered my third Charger Hellcat since 2017 and never looked back. And never considered another GT500. There's a butt for every seat and mine will be in a Charger.
I came to Moparland after being a lifelong Ford builder and driver. My last Ford was a 2015 Mustang GT with 1,024whp... and I gave that up for a T/A 392. I should have gotten a Hellcat instead, but I knew they were doing a redesign in 2019 and I wanted to wait and see what the new hood looked like, so I snagged the T/A as an interim. The Hellcat, for me, is such a much better car. Taking the Mustang's mods out of the picture, I had to make a lot of compromises to be able to drive it regularly. Like, I couldn't have the bolstered Recaros. I just don't fit in them length-wise and my legs start to cramp after 30-60min of seat time. I had leg room and head room for days, but only because I had the heavier premium leather seats that had full adjustments.

The new GT500, sans the new instrument cluster, has basically the same interior as my 2015, so I knew what I was in for when I was shopping. And yes, the GT500 is a very hot car on the inside, similar to my modified Mustang (but not nearly to the extreme mine was).We just don't have these problems with the Hellcats. I daily drive mine, so it's got to be comfortable. I'm 44 and moved past the whole basic car, max engine options bit. If I have a track toy of some kind, yeah, I wouldn't care and the GT500 would fit that bill nicely... but I couldn't daily one. Not long term. Maybe for a year until every last ounce of newness and cool factor wore off on me... but I'd end up selling it for something else. Edmunds does long term test drives for a year on their cars. I'd like to see them doing it without giving it a new driver every month and make the same poor schlub have to daily it in California traffic for 12 months, then write up about how great of a daily it is (they gave it glowing daily marks, btw).

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,118 Posts
Nah, 1967 fastback. That's the stuff. Made for one year only. The 68-70 shared a lot of parts, but the '67 was a special car.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,226 Posts
Reactions: Radride

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,118 Posts
We're different for sure, I don't find that attractive at all.
It's an acquired taste. But, fun fact. Always be on the lookout for one for sale. A 67 rust bucket with no motor, wheels, or a gutted interior will still sell for 20 grand today if it's structurally sound. A fully restored 67 Fastback with the appropriate engine for the vin (V8s, bonus points for 390 or 289 4bbl or K code Hi-Po) can sell well north of 6 figures. They sell roughly 20-30% above the 64 1/2 - 66 Mustangs.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts