SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
1,022 Posts
Sometimes I disagree with X, but not here.

I considered the GT500 and ZL1 and the HC was far out front and I’m not looking back.

I never drag raced but I hope it a try before the season ends next month. The M6 is far from optimum so it will just be a “see what it’s like” event. I expect the ZL1’a and GT500’s to smoke me.

But………

I did the Loring Timing Association 2 weeks ago, flat out 1 mile, 173.537. I’m thinking if I had the stock 3.70 instead of the 3.90, I would have done better. With a very lightly modified Charger, another guy in July did 203.782 in the 1.5mi. Not even RE’s!

203 MPH !!!

And sorry, the Mustangs just look so Mattel and the other looks lake a squashed frog.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Howzabout the 1969 zenith-of-all-Ford-evolution Boss 429 Mustangs, preferably with an Autolite inline four-barrel carburetor?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
It's an acquired taste. But, fun fact. Always be on the lookout for one for sale. A 67 rust bucket with no motor, wheels, or a gutted interior will still sell for 20 grand today if it's structurally sound. A fully restored 67 Fastback with the appropriate engine for the vin (V8s, bonus points for 390 or 289 4bbl or K code Hi-Po) can sell well north of 6 figures. They sell roughly 20-30% above the 64 1/2 - 66 Mustangs.
You do know a notchback is not a fastback, yes?

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,810 Posts
Hi all. I previously owned a 2019 Challenger Redeye WB that I had bought off the lot. Sold it to Vroom. I ordered another Challenger Redeye WB, but in the color I wanted, with the wheels I wanted, without a sunroof (which I don't like), and with the 309 rear gear. The wait became unbearable. So I found a new Camaro ZL1 in TX, flew down, bought it, and drove it 6 hours to home.

I told the dealership that I didn't want the Challenger. That was hard, and I feel bad about that. They have always been good to me. I did buy a TRX from them a couple of months ago, and my wife's Jeep a couple of years ago. I hope they get over it.

So I'm going to exit the Hellcat.org. FYI. Comparing the cars, there are several things I love about both. The Camaro looks racy with the all of the aero bits and the carbon fiber supercharger cover sticking out of the hood. The Challenger is quite a bit larger, but also beautiful and mean looking. I never thought I'd say this but I like the U-Connect system with the gauges, and easy to navigate pages better than the one in the Camaro. However, the Bose stereo in the ZL1 sounds better than the HK system did in the Challenger.

I could talk about seats, steering wheel, and interior, but those differences are stylistic. Each to their own.

Driving is the big difference. The Redeye has way more power, as we all know, and I do miss the thrill of stepping on the gas and all hell breaking loose. The ZL1 puts the power down to the road and I think it would match the Redeye from a slow roll and would probably beat it from a standstill. A roll from 60 mph to whatever, the Redeye would definitely win. I was very pleased with the Redeye, WB's cornering, but the ZL1 is better in the corners. I can't really find a difference in the braking, because they both have excellent brakes and both stop on a dime.

So, I will always love and miss my Challenger Redeye WB. It was so much fun to drive. But now I have a ZL1 and have just joined their Forum. So, have fun. Thanks for the knowledge I learned on this Forum. I will always be a huge fan of the Hellcat Redeye.
Bye.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
103 Posts
Hi all. I previously owned a 2019 Challenger Redeye WB that I had bought off the lot. Sold it to Vroom. I ordered another Challenger Redeye WB, but in the color I wanted, with the wheels I wanted, without a sunroof (which I don't like), and with the 309 rear gear. The wait became unbearable. So I found a new Camaro ZL1 in TX, flew down, bought it, and drove it 6 hours to home.

I told the dealership that I didn't want the Challenger. That was hard, and I feel bad about that. They have always been good to me. I did buy a TRX from them a couple of months ago, and my wife's Jeep a couple of years ago. I hope they get over it.

So I'm going to exit the Hellcat.org. FYI. Comparing the cars, there are several things I love about both. The Camaro looks racy with the all of the aero bits and the carbon fiber supercharger cover sticking out of the hood. The Challenger is quite a bit larger, but also beautiful and mean looking. I never thought I'd say this but I like the U-Connect system with the gauges, and easy to navigate pages better than the one in the Camaro. However, the Bose stereo in the ZL1 sounds better than the HK system did in the Challenger.

I could talk about seats, steering wheel, and interior, but those differences are stylistic. Each to their own.

Driving is the big difference. The Redeye has way more power, as we all know, and I do miss the thrill of stepping on the gas and all hell breaking loose. The ZL1 puts the power down to the road and I think it would match the Redeye from a slow roll and would probably beat it from a standstill. A roll from 60 mph to whatever, the Redeye would definitely win. I was very pleased with the Redeye, WB's cornering, but the ZL1 is better in the corners. I can't really find a difference in the braking, because they both have excellent brakes and both stop on a dime.

So, I will always love and miss my Challenger Redeye WB. It was so much fun to drive. But now I have a ZL1 and have just joined their Forum. So, have fun. Thanks for the knowledge I learned on this Forum. I will always be a huge fan of the Hellcat Redeye.
What did Vroom give you for your 2019 RE? I’m looking to sell mine but when I went online they wanted me to bring the car to them to be seen and given a quote in person. I haven’t taken the time to do it yet. I don’t want to waste my time.
I don’t mean to get personal asking…
Thanks!!
(a PM would be great too).

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
150 Posts
Not really though. I say that because they sell so many more Hellcats than ZL1's, there is no question the Hellcat is more popular. Unfortunately, I think a lot of Hellcat owners don't realize just how good the 6th Gen ZL1 really is. The 5th Gen ZL1 wasn't that impressive in comparison to a Hellcat so I think a lot of people wrote off the Camaro. The 6th Gen ZL1 came along in 2017 and didn't get much attention by the average consumer even though most of the magazines and media rated the ZL1 higher from a performance perspective. I actually expect to see a lot more Hellcat owners moving to ZL1's and GT500's in the next year or two. The Hellcat market is way over saturated.
I actually thought about a gt500 until they tried to charge me 25k over sticker. Now I’ll never buy a new Ford, I know I’m not the only one who feels like that.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
6,226 Posts
I actually thought about a gt500 until they tried to charge me 25k over sticker. Now I’ll never buy a new Ford, I know I’m not the only one who feels like that.
Oh I'm with you there. I wanted a GT500 too but I'm not paying that much over sticker. I could have done maybe $3K at the most but beyond that, the car just isn't worth it to me. I had a local dealer that would do $6K over for me but he wouldn't budge beyond that. The ZL1 comes in around $68-69K fully optioned and out of the box it handles and stops better than the GT500. What it lacks in power compared to the GT500 can be easily made up for with bolt-ons. My car has 800hp at the crank with bolt-ons and weighs 300lbs less (3900lbs) than a GT500 and the A10 transmission is superior to the DCT too for racing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was interested in the GT500 as well. The silly mark ups killed any chance of that. The Bay Area is tough for car deals, but out of domestics, I find Ford the worst. I won’t even consider a Ford now, and I could give a shit about brand loyalty.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
150 Posts
Oh I'm with you there. I wanted a GT500 too but I'm not paying that much over sticker. I could have done maybe $3K at the most but beyond that, the car just isn't worth it to me. I had a local dealer that would do $6K over for me but he wouldn't budge beyond that. The ZL1 comes in around $68-69K fully optioned and out of the box it handles and stops better than the GT500. What it lacks in power compared to the GT500 can be easily made up for with bolt-ons. My car has 800hp at the crank with bolt-ons and weighs 300lbs less (3900lbs) than a GT500 and the A10 transmission is superior to the DCT too for racing.
I agree. I almost pulled the trigger on a ZL1 1LE but the ride was too harsh for daily plus I didn’t want a manual my hips are shot. I told the dealership to order me a reg ZL1 and put the wing and stuff and you’d have thought I asked for them to split an atom so I went with mopar lol.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,118 Posts
I agree on the GT500 stuff being overpriced. We went through the same thing when the 2012 GT500s came out with the power increase, but by 2014 sales were slumping and you could pick up a 2014 GT500 for only about 10k over the cost of a GT Premium. I imagine the same thing will happen again (assuming Covid ever ends). If not, then they'll be like Hellcats and hover high long-term... which I would think any dealer would be stupid for not charging more in such a climate. Yay capitalism.

·
Registered
2019 Redeye ,69 340 4spd Barracuda, 73 340 cuda' 727, 73 318 Dart
52 Posts
Just a side note , 392's , Hellcats , and Redeye's do handle fairly well out of the box.
I track my Redeye and surprise a lot of people. Go take a look at Wesley Motorsports
Pikes Peak Redeye and their 392 track car. Neither car is heavily modified , and they
both perform quite well.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts