SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove it back 500 Miles + yesterday and boy was it fun. I followed the break in procedure pretty well and tried to change up the drive while on the highway. Towards the end and after 500 Miles It felt like it was still holding back on power even with the Transmission switch to track. I live at 6K-7K altitude so I expect some performance lacking compared to if I were at sea level.

My Question is, I know there are electronic barriers to allow the car to "break in" well so I was wondering if performance is suppose to increase up to 1500 miles and beyond. I was feathering the throttle the first time I drove it with the dealer rep and I can't help but feel like it had a bit more pep at that time. I am hoping it was not just my nerves from the first drive that made it seem that way. I have an A8 btw and was in full power, red key. I not disappointed by any means with the Cat.
It is amazing and I kept asking myself yesterday "how did I ever drive a car that was not over 700 HP". It is a blast. If you are waiting for a Cat. Everything they say is true. It is totally worth it. What I love the most is 99% of people think it is a regular Challenger, until you drop the hammer. Their faces are amazing. It also lets you sneak up on the competition which I did all day yesterday, S4, CTS, Carrera 4, Many Many Camaros, etc. Was a blast, Even halfway through break in limits.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,730 Posts
I am sure others can confirm, but to my knowledge there aren't any "electronic barriers" during break in. There ARE suggested guidelines to follow for the first xxxx miles, but you're not going to see 100 more horsepower when the car hits a certain mileage.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure others can confirm, but to my knowledge there aren't any "electronic barriers" during break in. There ARE suggested guidelines to follow for the first xxxx miles, but you're not going to see 100 more horsepower when the car hits a certain mileage.
Gotcha, I was referring to what I thought I had read about not being able to take it out of full street mode until 500 Miles.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,416 Posts
Maybe the adaptives learned your easy break in driving on the 500 mile highway trip.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,416 Posts
Have gone into the drive mode screens to make sure everything is set the way you want?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,752 Posts
Drove it back 500 Miles + yesterday and boy was it fun. I followed the break in procedure pretty well and tried to change up the drive while on the highway. Towards the end and after 500 Miles It felt like it was still holding back on power even with the Transmission switch to track. I live at 6K-7K altitude so I expect some performance lacking compared to if I were at sea level.

My Question is, I know there are electronic barriers to allow the car to "break in" well so I was wondering if performance is suppose to increase up to 1500 miles and beyond. I was feathering the throttle the first time I drove it with the dealer rep and I can't help but feel like it had a bit more pep at that time. I am hoping it was not just my nerves from the first drive that made it seem that way. I have an A8 btw and was in full power, red key. I not disappointed by any means with the Cat.
It is amazing and I kept asking myself yesterday "how did I ever drive a car that was not over 700 HP". It is a blast. If you are waiting for a Cat. Everything they say is true. It is totally worth it. What I love the most is 99% of people think it is a regular Challenger, until you drop the hammer. Their faces are amazing. It also lets you sneak up on the competition which I did all day yesterday, S4, CTS, Carrera 4, Many Many Camaros, etc. Was a blast, Even halfway through break in limits.

Thanks!
Congrats on your car! I wish you lived nearby. I would love to help you break it in with my Camaro:cool:

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
1,106 Posts
Gotcha, I was referring to what I thought I had read about not being able to take it out of full street mode until 500 Miles.
The only limitation I remember is the launch mode isn't available until after 500 miles.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,003 Posts
I imagine that your enviroment change will take the Hellcat a little time to adjust to. Operator and sensor inputs will continue to influence the computer. If break in is complete, then just drive it, don't think about how you intend to, just do it.

·
Have Guns Will Travel
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye - 2015 Challenger Hellcat
6,014 Posts
No launch control until after 500 miles.

·
Have Guns Will Travel
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye - 2015 Challenger Hellcat
6,014 Posts

Thanks!
Congrats and welcome. Pics or it didn't happen. I noted a significant increase in performance at 500, 1000, 1500 and 2000 miles. After that it's damn fast all the time. :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,444 Posts
Congrats on your car! I wish you lived nearby. I would love to help you break it in with my Camaro:cool:
^^And the resident troll jumps in whenever a GM product is mentioned..LOL.

OP this question about the computer "holding back" has been brought up for years on many LX/LC forums....Some years ago on another forum somebody did actually posted a paragraph out of a factory tech manual that discussed a program in the PCM to hold back for 3500 miles. It wasn't reducing power output just more aggressive torque control.

I actually took notice when my 2013 approached 3500 miles and did find that it was somewhat easier to break the tires loose after 3500 mile...not that it wouldn't before but...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,752 Posts

OP this question about the computer "holding back" has been brought up for years on many LX/LC forums....Some years ago on another forum somebody did actually posted a paragraph out of a factory tech manual that discussed a program in the PCM to hold back for 3500 miles. It wasn't reducing power output just more aggressive torque control.

I actually took notice when my 2013 approached 3500 miles and did find that it was somewhat easier to break the tires loose after 3500 mile...not that it wouldn't before but...
Truth not troll. I congratulated Op and simply said I would love to give him a good race. Its gets boring over time when you beat everything in sight. Theres nothing wrong with a little competition.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats and welcome. Pics or it didn't happen. I noted a significant increase in performance at 500, 1000, 1500 and 2000 miles. After that it's damn fast all the time. :)
Great! I thought that could be the case. As for the Pics, I joked about doing that, but my wife gave me the look while driving and figured it wasn't good to further provoke. I will check back when I hit those mileages as I am interested to see how it reacts.

That is really interesting, and it makes sense. I am not looking for huge gains, but subtle stuff like you mentioned makes sense. Plus more torque is always good.

Truth not troll. I congratulated Op and simply said I would love to give him a good race. Its gets boring over time when you beat everything in sight. Theres nothing wrong with a little competition.
Thank you Boduke, I have watched the forums for a bit and have seen your name come up quite a lot. You spend a lot of time on here. You planning getting a Hellcat one day? Not trying to provoke you , I am just wondering. I understand the allegiance (most of my extended family are GM fans, Two of my uncles both have the Hennessy 750 Camaro)

Thanks for the posts guys.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,752 Posts
Great! I thought that could be the case. As for the Pics, I joked about doing that, but my wife gave me the look while driv:)ing and figured it wasn't good to further provoke. I will check back when I hit those mileages as I am interested to see how it reacts.

That is really interesting, and it makes sense. I am not looking for huge gains, but subtle stuff like you mentioned makes sense. Plus more torque is always good.

Thank you Boduke, I have watched the forums for a bit and have seen your name come up quite a lot. You spend a lot of time on here. You planning getting a Hellcat one day? Not trying to provoke you , I am just wondering. I understand the allegiance (most of my extended family are GM fans, Two of my uncles both have the Hennessy 750 Camaro)

Thanks for the posts guys.
This is a good site to be on. Hopefully a Hellcat will be in the driveway:)

·
Banned
Challenger SRT Hellcat
754 Posts
I still think the only thing your beating is your monkey... One grainy video without any time shown is only proof that you drove down a track...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,752 Posts
I still think the only thing your beating is your monkey... One grainy video without any time shown is only proof that you drove down a track...
There is a clearer video posted now. If anybody steps up I will get it videotaped.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts