SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used K&N drop in Air Filters in the past.
I have dyno tested them and on some cars have seen 3-4 rwhp gains on them.
I've seen also next to nothing.

For the Hellcat their website says this (copy and pasting here):

K&N's replacement air filters are designed to increase horsepower and acceleration while providing excellent filtration. We make over 1,200 different replacement air filters for virtually every vehicle on the road. These filters are washable and reusable and are custom designed to fit into your existing factory air box. Their drop-in design means adding performance is simple. With most vehicles you simply remove the disposable air filter and replace it with a K&N. See applicable instruction sheet for details. Our stock replacement air filters for street vehicles are covered by our famous K&N Million-Mile Limited Warranty™ and will be THE LAST AIR FILTER YOUR VEHICLE WILL EVER NEED.
  • Designed to boost horsepower and rate of acceleration

Well maybe I should just order one and do some road testing again.
It will be much easier than my AFE CAI vs Stock intake test was, as I don't have to swap out the whole box and assembly.
Wouldn't it be funny if I saw better results from the K&N drop in filter in the stock intake than I did with the AFE CAI?
Reality is I probably won't see any difference.
But K&N has a 100% satisfaction guarantee as well, so it's worth a shot I guess. :)

Oh and does anybody know of a very good, reputable high flow DRY air filter I could try too?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
227 Posts
Are we suppose to use dry air filter or oiled filter in these cars and whats the pros and cons of each?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many are using both.
There has always been divisive arguments for and against oiled filters.
While I believe it's documented that oiled filters allow more air through, many cars that have MAF sensors that are in close proximity to the filter have gotten oil blow off on them and have been ruined. It is especially important to NOT over oil these filters after cleaning them. However, if you don't put enough oil on, particles of dirt will not be trapped in the oil and can make their way past the filter as they are much more porous than dry filter is.

I've used K&N oiled filters on many of my cars before, only one had to have the MAF sensor replaced (was done so under warranty) and that was my 2000 VW GTI 1.8T back in middle 2000
But the MAF sensor on those cars ended up being quite weak and many needed to be replaced. Mine needed it a week after putting the K&N drop in filter into it. So I think it was that.

A dry filter is the safer bet to be sure, but gotta say, millions upon millions of oiled filters have been sold since they started and if they caused that many issues, there is no way they'd continue being sold.
The MAF on the Hellcat isn't that close to the filter either, so I don't think it would be an issue.
I'd like to test it however, just for s--ts and giggles. Chances are it will do little to nothing on a 700+ hp car.
But you never know.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,852 Posts
Green filter on mine no issues

Reactions: purnrg

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Green filter on mine no issues

Is this the one you are talking about:

Green Filter - Part 7139

If so, looks like they have an awfully large black rubber border around that thing. That could restrict some air flow. They could of made the black rubber seal border half that wide and made the filter a bit larger allowing more air in I'd think.
It looks like an oiled filter too? Is it?
If so, the K&N is cheaper, would do the same thing, and they have oodles more experience building them, so I'd probably just go K&N over the "Green Filter".

But I would like to find a "high flow" drop in DRY filter too.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
594 Posts
The only thing I use a K&N in is my old 1997 carbureted Harley. I have found over the years MAF sensors don't like the oil from the k&n. Never had one go bad but on my crown vic the engine would get sluggish after as little as 500 miles. I would then use CRC MAF cleaner http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05110-Mass-Sensor-Cleaner/dp/B000J19XSA and my performance would return. Only paper filters for me now on MAF cars.
Also, I could never butt dyno any difference using K&N with a turbo, SC car.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,852 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,852 Posts
Is this the one you are talking about:

Green Filter - Part 7139

If so, looks like they have an awfully large black rubber border around that thing. That could restrict some air flow. They could of made the black rubber seal border half that wide and made the filter a bit larger allowing more air in I'd think.
It looks like an oiled filter too? Is it?
If so, the K&N is cheaper, would do the same thing, and they have oodles more experience building them, so I'd probably just go K&N over the "Green Filter".

But I would like to find a "high flow" drop in DRY filter too.
Go to their website, I like the green filter. This was an old debate long ago before CAI. Use search function GREEN

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
227 Posts
Go to their website, I like the green filter. This was an old debate long ago before CAI. Use search function GREEN
I can't order Green Filters in canada however i just Ordered this K&N 33-2460 Is that a dry Filter too?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,852 Posts
I can't order Green Filters in canada however i just Ordered this K&N 33-2460 Is that a dry Filter too?
No it's oiled. If you want dry try DryFlow air filter 28-20460

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,103 Posts
I also use the green dry air filter to replace the OEM filter. When I did it the car seemed a bit more responsive and slightly louder sc whine

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
203 Posts
I am using the AEM replacement filter for my Cat. Part # 28-20460

1 - 20 of 59 Posts