Have Guns Will Travel
Challenger SRT Hellcat
6,325 Posts
Interesting.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,939 Posts
I JUST talked to AEM about the video posted on here showing the stock filter out performing the AEM stock box filter and there engineer department ran some test and it seems I am right they advised me to not install this on my cat they said it seems to fit but doesn't provide enough airflow and there going back to drawing board to see if they can build one. The engineer I spoke to from AEM IS JOEL.... So anyone who has this on there car should be taking it off. The stock filter for this car apparently is really well made and special just for the hellcat
They marketed a product without testing or verifying it met minimum air flow requirements? Won't do business with AEM.

Reactions: 16GoManGoHC

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,939 Posts
Is the blue line the oe filter on the dyno chart above?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
501 Posts
Yes, it really did.
Installed the K&N CAI on BOTH of the Hellcats - it is noticeable and no error codes, engine lights, or other issues of any kind.
OK. So the question everyone has to ask is what did K&N do right and what did AFE fail so miserably on?

Since the AFE intake has been out it has been dragged through the mud and multiple people have even stated they actually LOST power. But this K&N is showing the numbers that AFE had originally advertised.

Edit....re looking over your dyno charts I see the stock run has 33% humidity while your K&N run shows only 18% humidity. That may explain some of the extra power numbers.

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,821 Posts
OK. So the question everyone has to ask is what did K&N do right and what did AFE fail so miserably on?

Since the AFE intake has been out it has been dragged through the mud and multiple people have even stated they actually LOST power. But this K&N is showing the numbers that AFE had originally advertised.

Edit....re looking over your dyno charts I see the stock run has 33% humidity while your K&N run shows only 18% humidity. That may explain some of the extra power numbers.
Weather and, more importantly, engine operating temperatures. That's what is unclear on the dynos I've seen for aftermarket CAIs. I think that is how some of these gains are achieved; having it heatsoaked stock and then running the aftermarket CAI pre-heatsoaked.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
905 Posts
I just HOPE nobody plays games during testing by using a less than new (dirty) OE filter. :eek:

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
176 Posts
I clocked over 2700 miles on my K&N drop in filter and no issues or codes.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
On the dyno with the K and N CAI the hood was probably open. So it will get more in. When you close the hood and do a dyno it is probably just about the same as stock.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,821 Posts
I JUST talked to AEM about the video posted on here showing the stock filter out performing the AEM stock box filter and there engineer department ran some test and it seems I am right they advised me to not install this on my cat they said it seems to fit but doesn't provide enough airflow and there going back to drawing board to see if they can build one. The engineer I spoke to from AEM IS JOEL.... So anyone who has this on there car should be taking it off. The stock filter for this car apparently is really well made and special just for the hellcat
Did you ever hear back from them? I was just about to order one as I ran the AEM filter on my Jeep SRT. Im glad I just saw that video though. Shocking to say the least. There has got to be something that flows better than the stock paper filter without doing a full intake

Amsoil makes oil-less filters as well but I dont see one for the Hellcat. Just universal sizes. I emailed them too

Same problem with AFE

I saw this posted by [email protected]

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I use the green filter and it did pretty good at the track.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,391 Posts
We all know the stock filter is the restriction via bench test. Now add a stock filter with 5% blocked by dirt. At least get one you can clean and keep it clean.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
20 Posts
one thing I think about when it comes to upgrading my air filter on the hellcat is the heat exchanger. Any dirt or dust that makes it past the filter is probably ending up on the heat exchanger.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
278 Posts
Livernios S900 package I got installed a couple years ago includes a K&N panel filter and car makes 750 rwhp with stock air box and intake.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts