SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many post about this subject and have not found the answer that I am looking for.
I noticed I think lots of oil from my right rear shock on my 2016 Challenger CAT with 18000 miles on it.
Yes I know about the factory residue and it my be more that that. The car just did a Daytona Beach to Syracuse NY drive.
I see no codes for my shocks, Will the car have a code for a shock that has gone bad?
Car seems to ride fine.

· Registered
'23 Redeye Jailbreak
4,918 Posts
I have read many post about this subject and have not found the answer that I am looking for.
I noticed I think lots of oil from my right rear shock on my 2016 Challenger CAT with 18000 miles on it.
Yes I know about the factory residue and it my be more that that. The car just did a Daytona Beach to Syracuse NY drive.
I see no codes for my shocks, Will the car have a code for a shock that has gone bad?
Car seems to ride fine.
You sure it isn't the axle boot slinging oil? Those shocks have a small amount of oil and mostly nitrogen gas in them. When you said "lots" of oil, I'm thinking it's more than likely sling from the axle boot. If the shock failed, you can test it by pushing down over the wheel and if the car doesn't bounce back properly or has some slack in the compression or return, then it's bad. As far as codes, not sure if it will throw a code if the shock goes bad. If the electronic module that controls the adjustable shock goes bad, then yes, for sure.

· Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sure it isn't the axle boot slinging oil? Those shocks have a small amount of oil and mostly nitrogen gas in them. When you said "lots" of oil, I'm thinking it's more than likely sling from the axle boot. If the shock failed, you can test it by pushing down over the wheel and if the car doesn't bounce back properly or has some slack in the compression or return, then it's bad. As far as codes, not sure if it will throw a code if the shock goes bad. If the electronic module that controls the adjustable shock goes bad, then yes, for sure.
Damn.......good suggestion on the Boot, you maybe right, I will have to do a further investigation.
Thank you for the info.(y)

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
89 Posts
I had a 2013 GT500 where one of the rear bilstein shocks was leaking. The oil was a golden color. The car rode normally on the highway and I only knew it was leaking when I saw a small puddle of golden oil under the car beneath the shock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.