SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

Like a lot of us owners, I leased a HellCat as I really couldn't afford to buy it at the time.
I did the same thing with my 07 SRT8 Jeep, which I bought and still have 191k miles strong.

I want to buy the Hell Cat out when my March 2020 lease is up.
….because I don't think, I can re-lease one, or the dealer may give me a hard time because car "was" slightly modded.

Here are my main questions from (hopefully) some people that have done this and gotten a good deal.

1) I can buy this thing out at $45k price …. from original terms...and 36k mile 3 yr term usage.
IS that price negotiable at all? AS these things have taken a beating in the past 3 years. Value-Wise.
. . . .and I only have 22k miles on it. (when lease is up)

2) The car will have had a tune... etc.... but all will be removed and back to stock.
What could happen when I turn it in....as to lease another vehicle?

3) Will Chrysler/Dodge make me a better deal to keep it and buy it out?
my credit is NOT as high as I would like, as I am extended pretty good with credit cards etc.

4) If I re-lease something...and get deal done.... Can Chrysler/Dodge come back on me with the leased car being modified?

Anybody got any helpful hints.... or tips or tricks to get the best deal?

….I never feel truly good about any car deal....as I traded in a car and put $7700 down on this lease...
….and got payments to about $600 even ….. then later I found out (within a month) that others were putting like
$2500-$3k down and got the same or better deal. Meaning most stealerships will screw their own grandmother to make a dollar.
that coupled with the fact that Demons, and RedEyes and newer versions cheaper have really dinged us 2015-2017 HC owners
on our used values, trade ins etc. Terrible.

Please advise, and thanks in advance for any help.
--chuck in slower/lower Delaware.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
569 Posts
1- If $45k is your residual value than that is the price you will pay, they won't negotiate with you.
2- If you remove the tune you will be fine, remove any other mods so you can sell then. Put it back to stock as much as you can.
3-They will not make you a better deal.
Your credit isn't as good and you have a higher debt to income ratio, so if you don't think you can lease another then how do you plan to purchase it?

Remember, if you buy your vehicle after the lease is up for $45K you will have to pay taxes and other state fees (tax, title, license, etc) on the purchase price of $45K

One last thing, Don't blame the Dealership for presenting you with numbers (your trade plus $7700) to get you the payment you wanted because you agreed to it without doing your due diligence (research)

Good Luck

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
67 Posts
2) The car will have had a tune... etc.... but all will be removed and back to stock.
What could happen when I turn it in....
does your lease terms & agreement indicate that perf mods, such as a tune, are ok? I kinda doubt it.
a tune will ALWAYS throw the P1400 code into the BCM, removing the tuned pcm &/or returning to stock does not remove the embedded code. I assure you the dealership service dept will scan for it 1st thing when they perform the turn in inspection.
what happens next at the dealership wont be up to you, whether you can afford it or not...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
354 Posts
I wouldn't loose sleep over it...If you choose to turn it in for another one of their cars, lease or buy, and the cars exterior is in great condition, the dealer will just dump it to another buyer ASAP...most dealers don't care about mods left on the car, as long as the engine runs with no suspecting noises you're golden! we must not forget those three choice words they put in print on the window of used cars "SOLD AS IS"

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
374 Posts
does your lease terms & agreement indicate that perf mods, such as a tune, are ok? I kinda doubt it.
a tune will ALWAYS throw the P1400 code into the BCM, removing the tuned pcm &/or returning to stock does not remove the embedded code. I assure you the dealership service dept will scan for it 1st thing when they perform the turn in inspection.
what happens next at the dealership wont be up to you, whether you can afford it or not...
lol have you ever done a turn in? don't spew off false information. On a lease turn in they hardly scan the ecu. Most of the time these cars get inspected by a 3rd party company who submits the report to Chrysler cap (they are looking for curb rash, dents, dings, scratches, and windshield chips, and on the inside they look for stains, stuff not working, etc etc) dealership you turn the car into is offered first crack at buying and if they don't want it then it's off to wholesale auctions i.e mannheim.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
23 Posts
RULE #1 when you lease-you never put a DOWNPAYMENT, ever
As to your other dilemas-best thing would be to get a cheaper lease as you stated you had CC debt (start paying off or it will keep climbing), to avoid the disposition fee maybe re-lease another Chrysler/Dodge Vehicle as they will usually waive if you re-lease.
Check the used car prices on your HC and see if $45K corresponds to the market...based on your info your car was MSRP at roughly $72000-$74000 you paid about $29000 in 36 months (I would still lease another instead of buying) now-you could've bought a brand new Honda or any other midsize car in that price range and still have some equity left when sold...simmer on that unless you HAVE TO HAVE a Hellcat, cause we know you don't NEED one ;)
I thought about purchasing mine at lease end-but figured that it would be like paying MSRP for it when you add your lease payments plus purchase...doesn't make sense, plus I came to a conclusion that I don't really want a HC anymore so will probably continue leasing something cheaper...

In order to get the best APR you need to be 700 or above for credit score-they also look at debt to income ratio, they would probably approve you it's just not gonna be the best rates etc (maybe get a credit union as a back up option)

Chrysler will not come back at you once they sign off that vehicle has been received in good standing

You still have the SRT8 so why not get into something more financially accurate for your needs like a $250 or less/mo lease (Chevy and GMC has great low lease deals) and pay off your CC debt and remember NO DOWN PAYMENT on lease, except the due at signing which usually covers the first month and fees, license and registration

Great info on leasing at www.leasehackr.com

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
40 Posts
Wow man it sounds like that dealer got you pretty good, I leased mine as well but I only put down 2k and my payment is 520. My lease is up in april and my buyout Is 42k with the buyout fee which is 350.00. Your car has low miles so I would list it for sale and see if you can get any money back out of it. Your car should be worth 48k or so with those miles, I just listed mine for 50k out here in Hawaii because hellcats still have a 15k mark up out here and the cheapest used hellcat out here is 58k right now. If mine sells I'm going back to the mainland to pick up a new widebody car more than likely. Beat of luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts