SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've trying to find locations where I can legally practice/experiment launching the HC Charger (using different vehicle settings, techniques, etc.) without having to schedule, pay and wait in line at the drag strip. I've been searching for abandoned air strips, old industrial sites, old military installations (an abandoned Navy training facility is near me but fenced off with no trespassing signs), etc. but so far have not found anything.

I'm out in Cecil County, MD about 5 miles from the Cecil County Dragway. I would like to be able to run zero to sixty attempts over and over again, without having to worry about traffic and without violating any traffic laws. Also given the HC is fairly loud when under acceleration (Corsa Extremes), the location ideally would be isolated from residential areas, etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
You're 5 miles from the track, just go.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,938 Posts
Agreed. In fact, if it's like a lot of tracks, you can probably arrange with the owner to get an off day (like Tu-Th) fairly inexpensively, especially if you don't need them to have timing equipment set up and such.

That said, if they are not willing to play ball, try contacting a local small airport off the beaten path to see if you can use some open taxiway space. Again, if you pick an off day they might be willing to accommodate you.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I've been to the track a few times, but their schedule is always booked up with events and the test & tune days don't align well with my schedule. Last time I had to plan two months in advance, then it rained anyway so the track was closed. Just want a place I can go anytime I want, and I don't need a full quarter mile just to practice launches.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,215 Posts
Most parking lots in commercial/industrial areas are big enough to do what you're trying to do... ask permission and you'll be fine. It's private property and nobody would be around at night to complain anyway.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
162 Posts
So, I've trying to find locations where I can legally practice/experiment launching the HC Charger (using different vehicle settings, techniques, etc.) without having to schedule, pay and wait in line at the drag strip. I've been searching for abandoned air strips, old industrial sites, old military installations (an abandoned Navy training facility is near me but fenced off with no trespassing signs), etc. but so far have not found anything.

I'm out in Cecil County, MD about 5 miles from the Cecil County Dragway. I would like to be able to run zero to sixty attempts over and over again, without having to worry about traffic and without violating any traffic laws. Also given the HC is fairly loud when under acceleration (Corsa Extremes), the location ideally would be isolated from residential areas, etc.

Anyone have any ideas?
Hey man. I'm in Cecil County too. I travel Rt 40 everyday. I feel like I have seen you on a couple of occasions.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome....might have seen you as well. Just put in Corsa Extreme cat backs and the 3.09 gears, also put on 315 width Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires in the rear...one of the reasons why I'd like good place to practice launches to continue tweaking settings, etc.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
162 Posts
Awesome....might have seen you as well. Just put in Corsa Extreme cat backs and the 3.09 gears, also put on 315 width Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires in the rear...one of the reasons why I'd like good place to practice launches to continue tweaking settings, etc.
I live along Elk River and have done it a few times back in that area lol

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,385 Posts
C6DBA246-EC91-4433-8B6E-112B3EC779C3.jpeg

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,302 Posts
I have a commercial complex that is huge near me. We have been practicing there for years. It backs to I95, sits way back from the entrance behind the buolding, and it is long enough to do runs up to about 80. Its dead empty on the weekends as this is a huge back lot. I taught my son to drive there in my 2008 C6.

Last time we went, right before i sold my HC. A few people came in to watch smokey burnouts. Find one of those near you. Even if the cops show up, thet cant ticket you as its a private. Someone from the building might want to press charges but it's unlikely.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
394 Posts
I did that myself on the street and when I got to the track all of that practice was out of the window since it launched radically different than the street. It did me no good to practice. Your track may be different I've been to the track once and only did 2 passes Great initial grip, but about the top of 1st and it was worse than the street.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agree...my best zero to sixties are on the street. For some reason the track has been worse.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
856 Posts
well do your custom setup with street traction, sport trans, street suspension ......leave traction control on

it will dig better if you let the car handle it...and dont floor it...trick is applying the throttle correctly

on the street...fast is slow/......slow is fast you will find your balance and those tire smoking burnouts will all but go away and 0-60 will get better and better

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,385 Posts
Gatz, don't give him ideas LOL
I don't know what happened out there. I was out on a motorcycle ride and found those interesting marks on the pavement. It seems one could check zero to sixty fairly easy.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found a place (back of a brand new warehouse up for lease) that looked promising. Nice wide path next to the truck docks, completely empty lot, out of site from the rest of the business park....Sunday morning so no one was there that I would bother. Made about 7 passes before the brakes began to fade and then I stopped. Took about 5 minutes for the brakes to cool off enough to get back to normal. Fun day!! When anyone asks what I drive...I simply say "a four door sedan."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts